Skin Food Reformulation, and My Associated Ordeal

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by VetsJetsnGuns, Jun 24, 2008.

1. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

Earlier this year, I got in on the Trumper's Sample Pack, and fell in love with the Limes Skin Food as a pre-shave. So I ordered a 500ml bottle from the Grooming Lounge.

The Grooming lounge hadn't ordered from Trumpers since November of 2007, and Trumpers has 'tweaked' it's formula since then. The old formula, in my opinion, sucks. The lime scent goes away almost immeadiately, leaving a ben-gay scent. It's less viscous, and less slick. The old formula didn't seem to protect during the shave at all.

The new formula is awesome. Whatever tweaking they did, they did it right. The scent stays throughout the whole 'massaging into the skin' bit, it protects a LOT more during the shave, and it's thicker- almost like an egg white.

I garnered most of this information from emailing Miss Rebecca Baron of Trumpers. At the conclusion of it all, she offered to mail me a replacement. She was polite to a fault for the whole exchange.

The differences:
    Old Formula: :sick013
    -First ingredient listed is Gum tragacanth No. 1
    -7 ingredients total

New Formula: :happy108
    -First Ingredient is Rose Water
    -13 ingredients total

In Summary:
    New Skin Food: Good
    Old Skin Food: Bad
    Geo F. Trumpers customer service: excellent

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Interesting.

I don't think I'd heard about a re-formulation of the skin food.

3. VetsJetsnGuns

Miss Baron said she had to go to "a senior member of the staff" to confirm it.

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

very interesting indeed.

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    There aren't many reformulations that come out on the improved end of things.

6. VetsJetsnGuns

it's all one big "IMO," but the first time I used the old formula after having gotten used to the new formula, I really noticed the difference, It was all shock and horror, too, cause I'd just bought a 500 ml bottle of the old stuff.

7. Exeter

Exeter New Member

I've heard a few bad customer service reviews from the Grooming Lounge, which seems to be the real "at fault" here. I've heard of chipped razors, bottles of balm with product missing (!!!), not entirely refunding when they make a mistake, and a few other things. I've also noticed higher prices there than at a few other places.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding something here...?

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Interesting, Jeff, might have to pick up one of their new bottles sometime... :)

9. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Well.... my sample bottle is new formula, and the bottle I just bought is old formula. I notice the difference too. The largest for me is that the new formula is more skin firming.