Topic: Importance of a Soap's Post-Shave Feel

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by herbert7890, Apr 14, 2016.

1. herbert7890

herbert7890 Member

Topic: Importance of a Soap's Post-Shave Feel

Ok guys. I know many guys have said that post shave feel doesn't matter or doesnt mean much to them. For me and I'm sure many other Wet Shavers, Post Shave Feel is THE most important aspect of a soap, either due to suffering from dry skin or plainly becuase they just love when a soap leaves the face moisturized and smooth.

Rationale: Post Shave feel should be one of the most important factors on soap since its the one aspect of the shave you get to appreciate the most, since you will be feeling your face all day and thus, the post shave feel really adds to the experience of soap (or breaks it, when is a bad post shave feel). I would say is right up there with slickness.

Let's face it, we only spend about 20 mins shaving and its done. But we will spend the entire day with the post shave feel of that said soap (assuming ceteris paribus, while other variables remaining constant, like the balm you use, weather, etc). I am a self proclaimed "faceturbator" and I know a lot of you are as well.

When I'm feeling the face during the day and it feels dry and harsh, it really turns me off from the soap and such soap is discarded from my den automatically. On the contrary, if the face feels soft and moustirized, it really grabs my attention and love for such soap. Its no wonder my top tier soaps are all very moisturizing, since that's my #1 Criteria on a soap.

What do you guys think?

tuxxdk, Herm2502, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  2. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Post shave feel is huge to me. There are soaps that are very good (caties bubbles) that lack post shave feel. They will never be top notch to me.

Ive found tallow soaps are much better after the shave then vegan soaps.

I find i enjoy the shave much more if the soap has great post shave feel.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have found my aftershave or balm plays a bigger role in post shave feel than my soap. That gets rinsed down the sink. Guess I'm fortunate in that I haven't come across a shave soap that leaves my face feeling dry, and that may be because of the afore mentioned AS or ASB.

dscaver, RaZorBurn123, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

100% Everything
    [​IMG]

RaZorBurn123, Spyder and Bill G like this.
  5. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I tend to notice post-shave feel only when the post-shave feel is not great. Yes, it is important!

6. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

I agree completely. Post shave feel is a huge deal to me. I've tried about a half dozen soaps and the ones with good post shave feel are the only ones I continue to use.

7. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I just faceturbated....

Spyder, PickledNorthern and Joef like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great question!! For me it's very important because I also shave my head, when I use a fantastic soap like Route 66 (pick any scent it doesn't matter) not only is it super slick but it also leaves my skin moisturized.
    When you add slickness, cushion, great post shave the chances are the soap will be a winner every time you use it.

Spyder, Joef, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  9. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

I can make up for lack of post-shave with aftershaves/lotions etc, but I really prefer soaps that do that for me. I also find that those are the soaps that make the actual process of shaving more enjoyable (less problems during the shave).

RaZorBurn123, Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  10. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I think you're exactly right people spend a lot of money on preshave oils and post shave balms and A lot of other products that can be made up with good quality soap. What if our you needed were a good razor a good blade and a good so sure it's fun to have the other stuff but it's really not required for many people if they use Good soap. One of the problems is people settle for less than the best soap so they feel they need to have a lot of other things to make their shave better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Robyflexx

I agree with your statement to a certain extent. I have 3 pre shaves in my rotation and one is from DG and cost me all of two dollars, one is from Walmart and cost 3.48, last one is from RR. I can do a three pass shave with all of them if need be and skip the soap I just choose not to. :)

12. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

agree...I use AS/ASB's after every shave so to me cushion/glide are WAY more important to me in a soap/cream.

RaZorBurn123, Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I think post shave in a soap can play a roll in getting a nice shave, but I almost always use a Balm or aftershave after shaving anways, so I'm not sure it is as inportant as slickness in a soap IMO.

RaZorBurn123 and Spyder like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

To me, post shave feel is very important and, assuming your shaving technique is good and your equipment is fine, The remainder comes from the soap.

Williams dried my skin, provided no lather, cushion or slickness. Once I started using soaps like Stirling, Chiseled Face and RazoRock, the post shave feel improved immensely. That's part of the beauty of wet shaving. Aftershave is just like putting icing on the cake...

herbert7890, RaZorBurn123 and Spyder like this.
  15. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

And that soap ( route 66 ) has a better post shave feel than most of the tallow soaps I've tried.

16. Joef

Joef Well-Known Member

The way I see it is if a soap has a great post shave feel, it means it protected the skin better during the shave, thus making a good post shave feel very important to me. I know a good as/asb will heal the skin, but why rely totally on healing when you can have protection?

tuxxdk, herbert7890, ob1page and 3 others like this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

No matter what soap I use, I use the same pre and post shave products, and there are a couple (2 actually), where I really feel a comfort difference.

It gets so dry here in the winter, that playing feet dragging carpet shock is being discussed as a winter olympic exhibition sport for 2020. My kids used to goof off trying to see who could jump the longest spark to the dogs nose... (Just kidding, PETA). Point being that post shave feel is ginormous for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

While slickness and protection is most important to me, post shave feel is important too.

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Be careful...you could go blind.

Keithmax, herbert7890, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  20. Robyflexx

:happy097:

herbert7890 and Joef like this.