TOBS Natural Shaving Cream Review

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Rusty blade, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

To preface my review, I have no connection, personal or otherwise, with Taylor of Old Bond Street. I am a traditional wet shaver in search of good shaving soaps/creams, preferably high quality, unscented products.

Over time I have accumulated a drawer full or shaving soaps and creams and recently decided to tackle them one at a time. TOBS Natural Shaving Cream was my first on the list! I ordered TOBS Natural Shaving Cream about a year ago and used it in a rotation with many other soaps/creams. I did not count how many shaves I managed to squeeze out of this tub, but it was many. When you use a soap or cream every day for a period of weeks you really get to learn its properties and qualities.
    Label.jpg
    Taylor of Old Bond Street started making shaving products in 1854. Their website is a pleasure to browse. They describe themselves as a family business. They state: “The 'Taylor' brand epitomizes classic British style and understated elegance, reliability and quality.”

The soap comes in a screw top plastic tub. Its appearance is a white, rich cream.

Ease of lathering: (10/10)
    I have done several lather tests with this soap and in every instance it produces a great lather. I have tried with hard, medium and soft brushes (boar and badger) and in every case it was very easy to lather. My shaving process is quite simple (like me): I face lather, so I soak my brush in a mug of warm water while I shower. I scoop an almond size glob and place it on the end of the wet brush and begin lathering. I have soft water, so your experience may vary depending on your water hardness. The lather is very thick and creamy. For these reasons I gave it a 10/10 for ease of lathering.

Life span of lather: (9/10)
    The lather lasts a long time. Once applied to my face the lather showed no sign of deterioration. I prefer a thick wet lather so I never had any problems with it drying on my face. An almond size glob of cream easily yields enough lather for several passes. Adjust your water content to achieve the right consistency that is right for you.

General skincare: (9/10)
    There are several ingredients in this cream that have great moisturizing properties for my skin. I don’t have dry or sensitive skin and with this soap I do not feel the need to apply a post-shave moisturizer (I do anyway).

Lubrication: (10/10)
    TOBS Natural is very slick. Add enough water and it is super slick. It makes it easy to get a great shave with little irritation.

How protective: (9/10)
    Always a difficult category to judge. I am not an aggressive shaver and my razor/blade are fairly mild (Gillette Heavy Tech with Astra SP blades). The lather is slick and very protective. This is the kind of cream a guy (or gal) may want to use to manage a bad case of razor burn, or if you want a "be gentle with me" kind of shave.

Scent: (10/10)
    TOBS Natural is a fragrance-free, unscented cream…and I mean absolutely no scent. It is also preservative free and made from good quality ingredients. And this is important because some soaps that are advertised as unscented still have a mild scent of some kind, either from a masking agent or a tallow or lanolin kind of earthy smell. But this one is superior in terms of it being completely unscented. For those shavers who are scent sensitive this is a top performer. Because it is scent free it will not conflict with the scent of any AS or ASB you choose to use.

Price: (9/10)
    At $23 Canadian for a 150 gram tub this is good value for what I consider to be a luxury shave cream. The plastic tub is recyclable and reusable. (I plan to use mine for my Haslinger soap pucks)

Would you buy again: (10/10)
    Absolutely. In fact TOBS sells a wide variety of other shaving creams. I would not hesitate to buy the Natural cream version again.

Shaving soap ingredients:
    From the label on the soap:
    Ingredients.jpg

Overall: (10/10)
    I only have positive things to say about this soap. This is a five star (out of five) performer :love029::love029::love029::love029::love029:. Every shave was a great shave. The packaging looks great and it is a pleasure to use and it left my face feeling soft and nourished. TOBS Natural is ideal for those shavers who want good skin care, good post-shave feel, ease of lathering and a scent free product. I would put this cream in the luxury shave cream category at a good price. An absolute pleasure to use.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great review! Thanks. :)

Rusty blade likes this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Fantastic Review Rusty. Thanks for posting. I love TOBS. And for those who care, it's paraben-free. I think parabens have gotten a bad reputation they really don't deserve but if it's a concern, TOBS is a great way to go.
    Jeremy

Robyflexx and Rusty blade like this.
  4. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Nice review :happy088: ToOBS creams are among my favorites. And you're right: they lather easily - and the amount of lather you get from a tiny glob of cream is almost ridiculous.

Spud, Rusty blade and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Nice review! The TOBS Avocado is a favorite........and it does not smell like quacam0le. It is a nice fresh soapy scent.

[​IMG]

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have not used TOBS yet, but I do admire your persistence to power through an entire container of product in consecutive shaves. I may try that pretty soon!

Spud and Rusty blade like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Great write up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rusty blade likes this.
  8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Nice review. Scentless products get so little attention, it is nice to see one highlighted.

Rusty blade and Robyflexx like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Nice review. I agree TOBS cream is very easy to lather. It's the cream I started my de shaving journey using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty blade likes this.
  10. George X

George X Well-Known Member

TOBS was my first shave cream and I agree with this review

Rusty blade likes this.
  11. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

I have avocado, lavender and sandalwood TOBS and love all of them. I just ordered shaving shop and look forward to it. I never get knicks or cuts with TOBS.

Rusty blade likes this.
  12. ask4Edge

ask4Edge New Member

The new organic version is my favourite TOBS cream.

Rusty blade likes this.