Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Thanks, it was tricky getting a blade in there, I loaded a blank but the first one after that wanted to drag on the stops so I went one more an hopefully it's good.

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Rolls System wasn't designed to Hone a Non Shave Ready Blade..It was Designed to Maintain a Shave Ready Blade...You will have to Hone or get it Honed outwith the Rolls System the same as any other SE Hollow Ground Blade or SR...;)

I have Done my Homework & Cutting a Long Story Short I came to the same conclusion as this Guy here..I came across the thread later after my own endeavour's & he is spot on...You Hone the Rolls Blade with One Layer of Tape & it will Set the Bevel to Suit the Rolls System..:)
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/467358-Honing-a-Rolls-Razor-Testing-the-Angle

The Blade will be able to be Maintained by the Rolls System after its in a Shave Ready State..I Personally Don't use the Rolls System to Maintain a Blade..I just Hone & Strop it outwith the System like any other Hollow Ground SE Blade but that's Me Talking..I have Found that the Rolls System offers Good Results..Nothing Wrong with it..I have found however that a Rolls Blade takes a Keener Edge when Stropped outwith the System because One can Use a Lighter Touch..:p

In Short..If you get the Blade Honed outwith the System..The Rolls System will then be able to Maintain it Almost Indefinitely & it will offer a Good Shave..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

3. Billyfergie

:duel:

4. old-school shaver

old-school shaver Well-Known Member

@twhite this is my collection of SE razors. I very rarely use my DE anymore just love the Straights and the SE and Injector razors. Need to find a bunch of stropping blades now .
    Ken P IMG_20160512_204232.jpg

5. old-school shaver

Thanks @Billyfergie I will go check out that link. I'm very happy with the results tonight but I know it gets better. Looking forward to a lot of enjoyment from the Rolls.
    Ken P

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Nice collection you have there. Enjoy them all.

Tom

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, Redfisher and 4 others like this.
  7. jmzeitouni

jmzeitouni Active Member

Thanks for your post. Could you enlighten me. What is the handle that has the blade attached to in the strop? Was this custom made to help hone and strop your blade like a straight,
    Or was this with the set. (I have a Darwin set where you can screw the blade on the handle in such way, but it seams much less convenient than the device you have).

Thank you

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The blade holder is part of the set. It came with the blade holder and the handle that slips over the blade holder.

My other Rapide (Henckels) came as a set with the Allegro Automatic stropping machine. I am only using it to strop with. I am honing on lapping film. This works really well so far. I am a new at honing. The results so far are good.

Tom

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, Redfisher and 6 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is an interesting place for a shelf. I love it though.

10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Maybe he is super tall then it is within easy reach.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :happy097:

12. old-school shaver

That is a shorter door than normal. You got to duck down a little bit when entering into my shave den. Its a small room with not much wall space so above the door was a good place for this shelf .
    Ken P.

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Staying with the wedge focus. Day 9 - this time with my Kampfe Star. I wish I could say something good about it other than it is over. OK, reduction was good but it wasn't fun getting there. I don't know if I blunted the blade or??? I'll try it with a different blade in a couple of days. :duel:

AOS Lavender PSO
    Stirling Soap Bergamot Lavender
    Savile Row 3824
    Kampfe Star
    C.V.Heljestrand (5)
    60 laps before/40 laps after
    T&H Classic After Shave Balm

Kampfe Star AOS, SSBL SR CVH TH.JPG

Happy shaving - Karl

14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Karl

Sorry to hear the wedges are giving you problems. I don't know if this will help, here is what I found. I keep the blade spine just off of my face. I also let the weight of the razor do the work. Very little pressure. I also tend to take shorter strokes than I would with my injectors.

The wedges do not tug at all on my passes. I hope a different blade helps.

Tom

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  15. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Friday the 13th! I was expecting bloodshed, but I had another amazing shave. Day 8 with this blade and I am detecting a slight change...still very smooth, but not as sharp. Actually i like the blade at this stage. I am not an aggressive shaver, so a smoother blade suits me fine. A little change up this morning as well on my cream. Simpsons shave cream is a nice mild cream, completely scent free. Some days I don't like a scented cream....and today was one of those days. Great shave overall. Another 10/10. How is it possible!!!

Pre: Noxema Classic
    Razor: Schick Type G
    Brush: Victoria Badger
    Cream: Simpsons Shave Cream

I have several bottles of Thayers Witch Hazel (I think I have all the flavours), but I recently switched to Dickensons (buy it at WalMart for half the price of Thayers) and I really prefer this brand. Sometimes I am not in the mood for scented Witch Hazel.
    M13.jpg

16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD May 13, 2016

Cold water 3.gif

Prep: Warm shower
    Blade: Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick G1 Injector
    Brush: Artisan maple handle badger
    Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
    WTG, touch-up

Wool Fat Friday! Nice shave this morning. I went with two full passes instead of the usual one with touch-up. My XTG pass was from nose to ear. I really prefer that direction for the XTG pass. Mitchell's lathered up nicely and provided a great lather backdrop. This was shave 10 on the Chick blade. It still feels smooth but is losing a little of its sharpness. The G1 injector continues to provide great shaves.

Hope you all have a great Friday!!

SOTD 5-13-16.JPG

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  17. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I think I damaged the blade somewhere along the line. I looked at it with the loupe and their were some spots that looked rough (I think I need @spidey9 's microscope set-up.) It doesn't feel as sharp when I move my thumb across it either. I'll know if that really is the cause after the next shave with the other blade. :)

18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yes, I do, but I have a a couple DE razors I usually take for which I have no emotional attachment.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Rufus T., AGHisBBS, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

The CV Heljestrand Blade was Designed for the Dimensions of the CV Heljestrand Razor..It Fits Like a Glove like No other Razor in my Experience..I have Noticed that the Rapide Blades that I have are Slightly Different Dimensions...An Old Star/Kampfe Blade I have there is slightly different again..I have Noticed that the CV Heljestrand Blade can be Sorta Springy when its getting Loaded in the Kampfe..I am Wary of it..The CV Heljestrand has a Bar Design that can be Lifted to prevent any Damage to the Blade whilst Loading it..In Particular the Corners..:)

It would be Good to Hear other Folks Thoughts on the Subtle Differences or in some Cases the Not So Subtle Difference's of these Blades..:angelic007:

Rufus T., AGHisBBS, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  20. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Still practicing/working with my injectors. I think I'm going to toss the Ted Pella blades, unless someone here wants them. They are no where near as smooth or as sharp as the Chicks I'm using now. A better shave with a tag-team of my K1 and the E3. No bloodshed, at least nothing that wasn't stopped with a tourniquet around my neck.[​IMG]

The finish on this E3 was damaged by me when I soaked it to long in Scrubbing Bubbles. Two other razors were fine, but this one turned dark reddish -purple. Took quite a bit of elbow grease and metal polish to bring it back. The underside is still dark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.