Wilkinson Sword package and price difference

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tallships, May 13, 2016.

1. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I've been using WS blades for many years, but in the white packages. No mater what other blade I try I always seem to go back to WS. Lately a new local drug store is carrying the black packaged blade at a cheaper price $1.49. I found these blades to give me the same shave as the white but only 3 shaves.
    In my searches on line, the white packages are more expensive than the black.
    Question: Why are the Black packs cheaper than the White and what are the differences between them?

Thanks, Denis

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Number of blades in the pack?

3. Tallships

5 blade packs

4. swarden43

Both white and black?

5. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is 100% correct....so someone can correct me. The English version of the Wilkies were in the white container, while the German version was in the black. I read a few months ago that the German version is now available in both white and black packaging due to changes in production. It's always been a bit confusing to me.

realtore!!! and Robyflexx like this.
  6. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

That's not entirely accurate. I have plenty of uk Wilkies in both white and black packaging. The German ones now also come in white and black packaging. I think the difference has always just been a regional thing.

White731 likes this.
  7. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

But, the English version stopped production in the early 2000's...so I doubt he is still buying those off the shelf. All I still see in stores are German Wilkies.

realtore!!! likes this.
  8. realtore!!!

Yep, English Wilkies have been gone for a while, but even when they were still around they had different I.e. White and black packages that still had identical blades in the package. The German production blades seem to continue the same trend with identical blades but different packaging and pricing probably all based on region. U.K. Wilkies were amazing and even the the German ones are a bit of a step down they are still really good blades.

White731 likes this.
  9. Tallships

If the white and black Classic (made in Germany) package have the same blade, why is the white pack more expensive? Unless the white has a different coating.

realtore!!! likes this.
  10. realtore!!!

Again I believe it's a regional thing I.e. Some packages sold in different countries and marketed different places. The old uk wilkinsons used to be sold in different packages as well but they were still the same blades inside.

11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In the U.S., black packs have 10 blades, white packs have 5. In my area, anyways.

eaglewing59 likes this.
  13. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I thought the Indian Wilki's were made in China now. In fact I'm sure of it.

14. Daiku

Daiku New Member

The "Saloon Pack" Gillette Wilkinsons are still made in India. These are the ones that come in 10 packs. I just got a box manufactured in March 2016 in India. The others (in the 5 pack) are made in China.

15. Tallships

I have the Classic WS in Black pack with 5 Blades $1.49. a little better than the Crystal blades. They are sold at my local drug store, a new store that just opened, they are going to sell Van Der Hagan products and are looking into Col. Conk.

16. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

You are correct :)

17. swarden43

Thanks Ryan!

18. Woohog1

Woohog1 Member

A couple of stores around here have the wilkies here are in a black hard plastic holder, and the packaging is a white wrapper with black writing.
    They are my go to blades.
    Not sure of they are German, or U.K. but for 1.29 a package of 5, I can still go ahead and pick up a tuck if I forget to order more, or if I'm in a pinch.