Gillette Series vs. Edge

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Paul Turner, May 10, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I just bought a can of Gillette Series "3X" Shave Gel. I remember using the regular GS gel(that is, without the "3X".) I liked it back then(many years ago) . I wonder if the message Gillette is sending to Edge with the "3X" is, "Oh yeah? I can do you better three times over!". The mad scientist in me will put this to work soon.

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    1. Hydrates
    2. Lubricates
    3. Smells good

No mention of how the chemicals in the propellent actually degrade the edge of your blades, but I didn't really expect them to mention that.

3. Paul Turner

That's the one all right :). As for the chemicals, I always dip my "disposeABLE" in water(well, I suppose all dispy users do)...would that hel;p fight the chemicals?

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    No idea, really.

5. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

The chemicals in it I'm sure isn't very good for you face, equipment or the environment.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

White731 and Jim99 like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Chemicals or whatever, I just tossed THAT one, too. There's too strong a fragrance in it. It'd be fine to use with unscented aftershave, but that only.(IMO)

Ijustmissedthe50s and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I think that if you can really believe that the propellant and chemicals in shave gel degrade the edge of your blades, you may have other issues. Not to fret, the water will wash away all the harm , sorry, I keep laughing, down the drain. If the chemicals in shaving cream can do such harm, I wouldn't even shave and risk chemical damage to my pipes. You should be more concerned with what is in the metal in your blades. .

8. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas New Member

Edge is super slick, I am using some soap I have at the moment but I think I'll get a can of edge once I am finishing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Try nivea sensitive skin in the white can. Great canned stuff

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Let me know what kind. I like canned goo. Shaves well.

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

Great avatar!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

My RISE Super Foam has been and IS my favorite "goo" :)

13. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Gillette is and has always been better then Edge. Some Edge shaving gels dissolve if you walk away from the sink for 2 minutes.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Carbide Mike and Paul Turner like this.
  14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I tried gel recently. It made me cross-eyed and killed all the alligators in the sewer. The sewage treatment plant now has a weird green glow. I think canned goo is a consipiracy of some sort. ;)

I always found canned gels to all be about the same. I used them from the mid-1980s until 2009, when I tried Kiss My Face Moisture Shave and got turned onto traditional wetshaving. The gels were a definite improvement over the canned foam in my experience, but nowhere near as good as the Kiss My Face. Maybe the canned gels have improved a great deal over the last seven years?

3X = XXX?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Nivea sensitive seems to be good in a pinch

Shaver X likes this.
  16. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Maybe...because Gillette, and Nivea are better then Edge.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Why bother with "canned goo" when soaps and creams in general offer such great shaves, great protection, great variety of scents, ease of use and are so inexpensive?:confused:

18. Paul Turner

Nothing against shaving soaps, of course, (I'll look forward to trying them out soon), but sometimes I think the Rise Super Foam could pass for "shaving soap in a can". Now that I think about it, I'd say the same about Clubman's shaving cream.

19. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

To be honest...lathering with a brush when you use shave soap is pretty time consuming.

20. Paul Turner

I think Edge could pass for a shave soap.