Merkur 42c Gillette replica

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, May 27, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I've been looking at the 42c and in a lot of information it states - 'The Merkur 42C is a replica of the original 1904 Gillette Safety Razor'. I wonder if this is true, and which 1904 Gillette is it a replica of. The only 1904 Gillette I've ever seen is the double ring. Thanks.

image.jpeg

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I'm interested in seeing the answer as well

dangermouse and Robyflexx like this.
  3. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Me too, I have a 42c and I've been searching Gillette sites and no luck

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Where is Ryan when you need him ? @PLANofMAN

swarden43 and Robyflexx like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It would be better to say "which 42C is a copy of the 1904 razor?" The answer would be the open comb model with this particular handle. Naturally, it doesn't have a double ring, or shave like a double ring (it's less aggressive, for one), it does superficially resemble an early Gillette razor.
    [​IMG]

6. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Yeah Ryan the model I have is closed comb, they have two models on Amazon open and closed, I believe 42 and 42c. They call the open comb "the classic "

whiteboy_cannon and Robyflexx like this.
  7. dangermouse

Isn't that a Merkur 15c? I don't understand how the 42c can be a replica, with a different head and a different handle. The Merkur 41c has an open comb, as you know, but did any of the old Gillettes have that six sided handle.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Yes, the OC version is a take off the Old Type. Not exactly a replica, but it captures the "spirit" of the Old Type. However, unlike the OT, the 42c is very mild.

waffen, Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Correct, but it uses the same head as the 41C. Since Merkur presumably based the closed comb off of the 41C's open comb design, that would allow them a link to the original 1904 razor, no matter how tenuous.

The six sided handle is based off of the GEM 1912 handle, as best I've ever been able to tell.
    [​IMG]

10. dangermouse

Ah. Thank-you, for adding the extra details,;I understand now. Although it seems the 15c is the replica and not the 41 or 42c. Basically, they are lying! It is a tenuous link, especially when terms like 'an exact replica' are bandied about. I thought there might be a Gillette razor with a six sided handle. That's the impression they give isn't it? Thanks again, I appreciate it. That Gem is nice.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. myriam

myriam New Member

I
    would like to buy the merkurvision razor. Do u know where can ifind one please ?

opsimath likes this.
  12. Herm2502

13. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I love how the 41C and 42C look and I am strongly considering one of them as my next razor purchase !!!

dangermouse likes this.
  14. Herm2502

I like the "1904", but for an OC it's really mild.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

myriam ~
    You may have luck finding a Merkur VISION razor in the "Buy-Sell-Trade" section here or elsewhere. Keep an eye on ebay and you will likely come across one eventually.

Some sources say "Out of Stock", while others say "Discontinued" for the VISION. I have never used one, but they look amazing. Good luck!

myriam likes this.
  16. myriam

myriam New Member

:)Thank you very much for you advice. I hope ill find it !

Robyflexx likes this.