My First Real Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Gigabitz, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Gigabitz

Gigabitz Member

Hi Everyone,
    I don't know if this post is what you would call "necessary", but I'm just really psyched to have received my first real brush in the mail today - a Kent BLK4. I thought I'd post some pics.

Here's the box, straight from England, in all its British glory.
    [​IMG]

When I opened it, they had included not only my brush and stand, but a free little keyboard brush called Kenny. Nice bit of swag.
    [​IMG]

Here she is before her first use, bristles all still intact.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's my old Van Der Hagen boar brush, just for comparison. Believe it or not, this was an upgrade - from a Burma boar brush that I cracked.
    [​IMG]

Here she is after the first lather.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, that's my baby. Enjoy. I never expected to get this psyched over a brush. Particularly one that smells so bad! I mean, she looks good and feels good, but boy does she stink!!! I lathered up three times and shampooed it 5 times under hot water, rinsing thoroughly every time, and it's still just as rank as it was when I first got it wet. Somebody, please - how long till my brush stops smelling like butt? :signs113

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Necessary??? :happy097

About a week for the smell to completely disappear.

But she is gorgeous! I think I need to go fondle my BLK4 now........

Congrats!

Oh, and your pic clearly shows your address. May or may not be a good idea. Personally, my stalking calender is fully booked at the moment, but you never know who else may have an opening. ;)

Oh, and your name really IS Gigabitz???

3. PottyDoctor

PottyDoctor Jeff Foxworthy of Shaving

I just got my Kent BLK4 a week or so ago. Boy, she sure is a beauty! I've lathered up with her for two shaves and she is luxurious...and the perfect size. Mine hasn't had the 'Funky Badger Butt' smell. I shampooed and conditioned her when I got her and she's smelled great ever since. Only other thing I might need is a BK4 to keep her company! :D

4. Gigabitz

Gigabitz Member

That's Photoshopped... not my real address, and certainly not my name. It's also code. Some of the guys may pick up on what it is. But it's nice that you watch out.

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I don't get it. I have (or have had) a BK8, BK4, 2 BLK4's and a BLK2. Not one has had even a hint of badger funk. None.

I'm told it goes away, but I can't confirm that. :D

6. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

Yep, smells like the shrimp fleet came in down in Gulfport. Not to worry, it will go away with use. Like other things that smell like the shrimp fleet, badger brushes can be most enjoyable.

So, are you in the Nashville area or not? I'll have to go back to see if I can break the code.

Edit:

Well, you're a Kimber 1911 shooter, as am I (Gold Combat series I, what's yours?). If in Nashville are you a member of any of the local gun clubs? Zip is for Alabama, not Tennessee, and I gather you may be in the computer business, possible Redstone if in AL, Dell or HP if in TN? (I have a feeling the zip is a red herring) Of course you could be an independent business owner also contracted to Redstone or on your own as a consultant. But I still think the Al zip is a false lead.

7. Gigabitz

Gigabitz Member

Hmmm, let's see...

I do shoot a Kimber 1911, although I'm by no means a dyed-in-the-wool 1911 fan. My piece is a Pro CDP II in .45. Too big to carry though, so I'm on a list to get a Ruger LCP in .380. Frankly, if you are interested in a 4" CDP in mint condition, send me an offer. :D

I do live in the Nashville area, but I am not a Tennessean. I am not a member of a club; I really just have it for defense, but I like it. Always have. I do plan to practice more once they open this new range out closer to where I live.

And you need to spend some more time on the zip. I can't give any clues, cuz if I did, it would become immediately recognizable. But you can figure it out. It's not too hard if you think about it from the right angle.

8. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

What a great looking brush! Congrats!

9. iron maiden

iron maiden New Member

Give it a few days...the smell will dissipate. Try shampooing and using conditioner. Pert Plus is always a good choice, I've found.

10. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

And a stronger-scented cream or soap (Proraso is a usual suspect) can help, too, if you have any. But, all else failing, a week or so of use should do the trick.

11. SuperSpeed

SuperSpeed New Member

I'm gonna guess the Zip CODE...

Okay,

I am guessing the Zip refers to .357 and .45 CALIBERS

The .357 (if you're not a revolver shooter) may refer to the .357 Sig, which is an autoloader cartridge (often chambered in 1911-style pistols), The .45 likely refers to the .45 ACP, the most common chambering for 1911s. I am very fond of John Moses Browning's 1911 design (pure genius), and am also a big fan of the .45ACP cartridge! I used to shoot "Action Pistol Matches" competitively (IPSC/USPSA), but now my only real "matches" tend to be Cowboy Action Shooting...where .45 means ".45 (Long) Colt!" Not as competitive, but they're loads of fun and a real "hoot!"

Welcome aboard, Gig, and enjoy that outstanding brush!!! ;)

Keep us "posted" on your progress! (No, that is not a subliminal suggestion you go out and purchase Merkur's "low-tech" but apparently well-loved adjustable razor) :happy102

--Morrie

12. Gigabitz

Gigabitz Member

Ding! Revolver and Auto it is. :happy088

Lol, I'll keep that in mind in the Futur. Haha, that was a 1904 Classic. :cool:

13. SuperSpeed

SuperSpeed New Member

Gig,

Excellent--thanks for the verification!

Best wishes on your upcoming wedding and in selecting wetshaving ("grooming") gifts for your groomsmen! What a great idea!!!

You have received some very good suggestions in that thread, so I have nothing to add in order to put a different SLANT on things. :happy102

Well now, all Merkur references aside...I wish you great success in your endeavors and I am certain you will enjoy it here at TSD. Truly a fine collection of folks, as you already know. ;)

Best regards,
    --Morrie

14. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

I like the handle on the boar brush! Good luck with your new brush, the badger funk goes away after a few uses...

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

very nice brush!

16. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

that's it! that's all it took.. I'm excited.

17. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

How about a picture of that keyboard brush?

18. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Congrats on the new brush. SOmething that helped with Badger Funk for me is a vinegar wash. Take a small glass...with warm water....add a tablespoon or so of vinegar...and do a few pumps of the brush in the solution...let it stand for maybe not more than 5 minutes..and a few more pumps.....Completely got rid of the smell for me

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

Congrats! that is a great looking brush......:cool: every time I see a BLK4 it makes me want one...:o