Does anyone else do this?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by tntsl, Jun 5, 2016.

1. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

So I get what I call 'Eddie Munsters' - fuzzy hair on on the back of my neck at my hairline. So occasionally, when the back of my neck is starting to make me look like a werewolf, I shave em' off with a straight razor. I use a handheld mirror and my bathroom mirror and just clean them off.
    It takes a steady hand but I seldom end up with even a weeper.
    Does anyone else do this?

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's my sign I need a hair cut, when I can see the fuzz growing on the sides of my neck. Haven't been brave enough to attempt shaving it myself. Kudos for using a double mirror and a straight. You have skills Sir!
    portals science.jpg

Carbide Mike and entropy1049 like this.
  3. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I shave the back of my neck with a DE razor like that. I do this every week to two weeks max after I cut the sides and back of my hair. During the summer I'll often use a razor on the sides and back of my hair and fade it in.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike, BeShaved and RyX like this.
  4. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I actually do that by feel alone. I can't process the double mirror trick well enough for safety, but I do use it to check my work. I tend to need to shave my neck once a week to keep it clean looking. I lay my finger of my left hand across the hairline I want to cut to, then I set the side of the blade against that finger and carefully roll it toward my neck until I get contact and shave downward. Of course I can actually just see the sides by turning in front of the mirror, but the finger trick works well for dead center. I only occasionally run into trouble if I try to go too far down my back where the mechanics of my arm interfere with smooth movements. I've tapped myself a couple times leaving minor nics that take a few days to heal. Never anything bad, though.

Carbide Mike and BeShaved like this.
  5. nunhgrader

nunhgrader Member

I shave head, neck and face daily with a straight about 60% of the time - de about 20% and se about 20%!

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The hair on the back and sides of the neck grow quickly on me. I just use my clippers without an attachment to buzz them off. Sry, no shaving on them.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My wife was a hairdresser for 40 years. She "watches" the back of my neck for me and lets me know when I'm getting scraggly looking. Then she uses an electric trimmer to straighten things up.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No.
    I have a battery operated Wahl beard and moustache trimmer (think minnie barber clippers) and I have my wife shave off the nape hairs.

9. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

I've tried a DE razor and it was a bit more difficult to handle than a straight razor and I can control the trim path better with a straight.

simms623 likes this.
  10. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

Sounds like another good way to do it!

11. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

You sir have some skills with a straight razor!

12. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

I have a good clipper with really short (0000 - the shortest I have) blades but I I prefer to get the nape of my neck bare.

13. simms623

I have zero experience with a straight but I can see that. I still sometimes have issues with the proper angle.

14. Mr. Oldschool

On a side note, it's generally a bad idea to trim your ear hair or nose hair with either a straight or a DE...

Keithmax, Drygulch and mrchick like this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I will admit to using a DE on my outer ear and lobes for those few pesky hairs, but never in the inner ear.
    Never used a str8 on my ears.

16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Keithmax likes this.
  17. simms623

Oh if van Gogh had a friend like you.

Keithmax and Mr. Oldschool like this.
  18. Mr. Oldschool

:rofl:

19. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

I have to admit the same. Though I do also use my straight razor on my outer ears from time to time. It's no more difficult than the nape of my neck. I've never cut an ear.

20. Mr. Oldschool

Alas, my ears grow hair from the inside of the bump in front of the canal, so I have to use small scissors to snip them or pluck 'em out. No way I'm sticking a straight in my ear!