What's the longest lasting Green Irish Tweed scented soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Tim Spencer, May 15, 2016.

1. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I too, love the Green Irish Tweed scent, and I wanted to buy the original by Creed, but it is very expensive. Maybe I can finance it..........

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I had the chance to pick up used Creed Santal shave soap. While it is not my favourite scent and I would not buy the perfume I had to just at the chance to try the soap. If the quality is good I would consider applying for a loan to buy the GIT soap.

The wooden bowl is cheap and disappointing given the retail price. Performance was just OK, falling far short of the top soaps and creams. While I love GIT I can not justify such a price for just OK performance.

Douglas Carey and opsimath like this.
  3. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

So how do you like the WSP Gaelic Tweed soap and aftershave? How do they compare to GIT?

4. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

The WSP is pretty much 'dead on' with the GIT scent. The soap scent stayed on the brush for over a week after I used it. I really don't have any reason to try a different GIT soap/aftershave. WSP nailed it for me and the labeling and bottle match my black shaving kit theme. Which makes it even harder to justify switching. I 'might' at some point give another soap a go, but it would seem pointless. If all the other competitors are this good, then just go with the color scheme that looks great. The only thing any other competitor can do is 'match' WSP in their results IMO.

5. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

That's good to know, thanks! I like WSP shaving soap but I haven't tried the Gaelic Tweed yet. It's on my short list to try.

6. Tim Spencer

Yeah, I'm very happy with WSP's GIT knockoff product. They really did it justice.

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

The only knocks I have on WSP are the scent strength and the price. The price isn't a huge deal for me, as I just go down to the storefront (avoids shipping) and use my 15% off cards. I like WSP, but if you don't insist on Vegan, then I think Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man is a better value.

8. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

I don't have to have vegan. I used Stirling Executive Man just this morning. Both the soap and aftershave splash. They both smell great!

Paul Turner and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Tim Spencer

I have a gut feeling that if WSP nailed the GIT scent so well, then other probably have too. The only thing I have to disagree with in regards to gwsmallwood, is that he states that WSP doesn't have strong scent strength. I completely disagree here. I have a shave brush that I only used GIT with 1 time and let it sit for a week and when I pulled it out I could still smell a STRONG GIT scent on the brush. Try it yourself. The WSP scent is ridiculously strong and lingers long after the shave, even in the brush.

I haven't tried Stirling, but I have to say I'm very satisfied with WSP's shave soap. The scent is a match, it's strong and it lasts. The in-shave protection of the soap is good (the ONLY negative I can give the WSP soap is a rather 'dry'/rubbery feel on the skin after the rinse, but that's why I have a post-shave balm. It's the only reason I would entertain trying another shave soap.

10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The only GIT-based scented soap I have is Stirling Glacial Eskimo Tuxedo. As we all know, it's Sharp Dressed Man with a boatload of freezing menthol.

Paul Turner likes this.
  11. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Have tried just a handful, maybe six tops and the top two that I have tried are Malaspina Tweedish Gent (currently the only GIT I own) and Prairie Creations had a Tweed that was great but she is no longer in business.

12. gwsmallwood

Thread revival, but I thought some of you might find this useful.

Keithmax and Paul Turner like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Since first posting on this thread, I scored a barely-used bowl of the original Creed GIT shave soap. ($40). This stuff not only smells EXACTLY like my bottle of GIT, but the soap base is legit.

Yehuda D and Keithmax like this.
  14. gwsmallwood

You just can't find it anywhere anymore.

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Nice work, Garrett. I have a few Stoylins and a Phoenix(which isn't the Twee). I think my "introduction" to GIT will be the aftershave from Wet The Face(TheQuiet Man).

16. gwsmallwood

Good luck with The Quiet Man. I wish I could tell you what it smelled like, but my tub came with almost no scent.

Paul Turner likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

I presume the aftershave WILL have a scent. You have TQM soap, eh?

18. gwsmallwood

Correct, I only got the soap, no aftershave. I've seen quite a few comments recently about people having similar problems with no scent in WTF soaps, and one that mentioned the same for an aftershave. I don't think that's the norm, but Don isn't going out of his way to address it either, so I hope you have better luck.

Paul Turner likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Do they write those comments in Don's website(reviews)or here? I would hope the former so he'd see them.

20. gwsmallwood

At least two of us have messaged Don directly. The response I've gotten from him so far didn't warrant any updates to the public comments I've made about my personal tub having no scent.

Paul Turner likes this.