Buying my first strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 7055, Jun 16, 2016.

1. 7055

7055 Active Member

Hello,

I am thinking about buying this Tony Miller Vegan strop. I heard good things about it, but can anyone here post their experience with it?

I understand that typical leather strops require a certain amount of maintenance that vegan strops do not. Can anyone explain this further? I understand the vegan strops are also harder to accidently cut as a beginner?

Also, should I get the cotton back or the flax linen back? What's the difference?

What width should strops be?

What is a heavy draw?

http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman....C83E339D95C63DB2.m1plqscsfapp06?productId=175

Billyfergie, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I can't speak with experience with using a Vegan strop, as I haven't used one. I don't know what the actual material used is, so I can't address the durability of it. Everything that comes out of Tony Miller's shop is top notch, however. To answer some of your other questions:
    • Draw: The resistance you feel when pulling the razor across the strop. Some leathers have a very light feel, where there is no resistance, others have a heavier draw, where you can feel the resistance. Horse strops generally have the lowest draw, and latigo has the heaviest. For the most part, it seems to be a personal preference thing, as they all do the same function. I like a medium draw strop, as those with more draw slow the process down.
    • Maintenance: Most strops that are used regularly can be maintained by rubbing the leather with your palm. This removes any dust on the surface, and transfers the oil from your hand to the leather. Occasionally, leather strops must be cleaned, and sometimes conditioned or oiled. These are both pretty straight forward and easy tasks.
    • Cloth element: Different fabrics are used by different strop makers. Most vintage strops had linen second elements. The cloth is used to prep the edge before going to the leather. It removes a small amount of crud, and starts the process of realigning the edge. Cotton is considered less abrasive than linen, but does the same job. Other synthetic fabrics can do the job as well, but have a different feel.
    • Width: Personal preference and ease of use. If you have a strop that is narrower than the blade of a razor, you have to strop in an X pattern to get the whole edge. This is easier than it sounds. A 3 inch wide strop eliminates this, and allows you to strop the entire surface of the razor at one time.

3. 7055

7055 Active Member

Is either better? Why would you want more or less abrasion?

BeShaved, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  4. 7055

7055 Active Member

What is "Latigo" is that a type of vegan strop? If not, do you sell any vegan strops?

5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Latigo is a type of vegetable tanned cowhide, that is treated with waxes and oils at the tannery. Based on the description of the Tony Miller strop you linked to, I would assume that Vegan strop has more draw than latigo. I don't make vegan strops, but have seen a few on Etsy, besides this Tony Miller one. The feel of both the main and second element on strops are a YMMV type thing. I like the feel of linen over cotton, and cotton over poly webbing. They all perform the same function, but feel different to the user. I have heard about the abrasion of linen, but would need a microscope to verify it.

6. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I have about nine strops. The prices paid for them vary a lot. They are both vintage and new production. I like a light draw. I like the draw and sound to be the same in both direction. The sound has nothing to do with how they work it is just the blade passing over the grain of the leather. By far my favorite strop is a Drygulch horsehide with a hemp second. It does the job perfectly. It has all of the feel and build I like, in fact it was made specifically for me. It was easy for me to say what I was looking for because I have had many strops. You will never really know your preferences until you try some different strops. The easiest way to achieve that is to go to a meet. In the meantime buy a very affordable strop. There are many you can pick from. Dry gulch can help you out there, but it is not your only choice, you could still go with Tony Miller or Illinois or Bison, they all have options. There is also the part where you need to be careful and strop slow and steady to avoid cutting your strop. Many have ct their strop by trying to store to fast or letting their mind wander. It can be a little confusing to start with for sure.

BeShaved, ARGH, Karl G and 5 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Since this is your first strop it is inevitable that it will get nicked and maybe cut. Do not spend big bucks, consider it part of your SR education. I highly recommend a 3" wide strop per the reasons Adam mentioned. I also recommend a paddle strop as your first strop. You are less likely to 'roll the edge' or your razor and less likely to nick it.

In the end draw is really a function of personal taste. For your first strop I recommend something in the middle.

I have a Tony Miller and it is first class strop. @Drygulch also makes first class strops plus he sells paddle strops.

Karl G, ob1page, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I would also recommend a 3 inch strop. A great first would be the illinois strop. Most people seem to prefer linen (me being one of them), so i would suggest that as well.
    As mentioned above, paddle strops tend to work well for beginners also. Dont spend a lot of money. You will inevitably nick it.

Keithmax, Karl G, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I haven't heard about the Vegan Strops in quite a few years

I remember when Tony introduced them to fill a Niche Market,, The feedback from guys that were used to Leather was Meh :(

But if you are into no animal products then it fills that niche and Tony makes awesome strops so it is the best that a Vegan strop can be

I have only seen one, I missed the chance to try it so I can't comment with a personal opinion

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I disagree; it is NOT inevitable. I still have my first and only strop, a 2" wide from Vintage Blades http://vintagebladesllc.com/collect...ack-latigo-2-hanging-razor-strop-with-d-rings. I have yet to cut it (one very small nick) since getting it about six years ago. I go slow, take my time, pay attention to what I'm doing.

BeShaved, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It may never happen (nick or cut a strop) but the odds are pretty good a beginner, when learning to strop a razor, will mar or nick the strop—particularly if one is stropping a razor daily.
    When learning to strop, I went slow, took my time, paid careful attention to my technique—yet still caught the edge of my first strop and sliced a 1/8" nick on the edge during the upstroke. Whoops!
    Just recently, I nicked my old horsehide strop with my kamisori —ugh!—even though I've stropped many, many razors! It happens—and the odds are greater of this happening to newcomers.
    It may not be inevitable, but I'd hesitate to recommend a pricey strop for someone to learn upon.

12. swarden43

Oh, I certainly agree. I was just sayin' it isn't inevitable.

BeShaved likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes it is. You just haven't done it yet.

BeShaved likes this.
  14. swarden43

Watch, tomorrow I'll gouge the heck out of it.

BeShaved, PLANofMAN and HolyRollah like this.
  15. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

What gets me about threads like this is that everyone jumps in with, "Buy a cheap one first", but then follows with, "Get a 3 inch". There may be a few economical 3" strops out there, but the vast majority of 3 inch strops are going to be among the more expensive.
    The Illinois strops mentioned, I believe are two and a half, not three inchers. But I could be wrong. But as has been said, it is not hard to strop on narrower strops. It boggles my mind that we spend so much time learning and refining our technique, obsessing over every little detail of the shave, trying to get everything perfect/the perfect shave, etc., yet we balk at learning basic stropping technique like an X stroke. If or when that 3 inch strop cups, you're gonna wish you could do an X stroke. MHO.
    I would really recommend buying one of Tony Miller's Plain Vanilla or Plain Chocolate strops. He offers them in 2.5" and 3", depending what he has available at the time.
    Will cost around $60 with shipping. Unless you truly have moral/religious/ethical reasons for wanting something vegan, leather is better.
    Be careful, go slow, and enjoy.
    One other thing. Most nicks and cuts on a strop can be dealt with in one way or another. I would advise to get the best strop you can afford starting out, and treat it with respect. If you do get a nick or five in it, it's not a death sentence for the strop, most times. But IMHO the quality of the strop is every single bit as important as the quality of the razor itself.
    Again, all of the above is my own personal opinion, and the best advice I can give.

16. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Tony Miller offers or offered practice strops with his normal strop. Pick one up if your worried about nicking it.

My preference is shell with linen but that is my preference and I have used 9 strops to find what I like.

Keithmax likes this.
  17. swarden43

Is it wrong to suggest practicing the X strokes of stropping with a regular table knife, thus eliminating the chance of cutting your strop while you work on muscle memory?

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You are correct, the probability that you nick or cut your first strop is not 100%, lets just say it is high.

A nick can easily be cured and most cuts can be saved too. I only cut a strop one time but I have nick my strops many times.

swarden43 and ob1page like this.
  19. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I prefer 3 inch width strops. You can do the X stroke on it as well if so inclined. I've never cupped my strops not using the X-stroke.

Tony Miller strops are my favorites, except for the vegan one. You have to oil the strop to get the blade to move at all on the vegan one, so yes I'd say it has a heavy draw. I just went back to my leather ones.

20. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

While it is possible you dont nick you first strop, it is HIGHLY unlikely. I get me razor so sharl that even these days if it barely touches the strop, it will nick.

Tony miller is a fine strop maker, and anyone who is in the know would recommend his wares. If you can find one at a reasonable price, (Neil miller) made the standard for strops. They are darn tough to find though. R.I.P.