Estimated savings since switching to TTO and soap

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Admiral Beez, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

In May 1, 2013, I got my Gillette TTO, http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/what-gillette-razor-do-i-have-here.33042/

I used to shave with a Mach3 system, going through about four blades a month (would usually change out Mondays for the week). A 12 pack is $31 http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/gillette-mach3-razor-blades/6000053639341 or $2.58 a blade. In the 37 months I've used my TTO I would have used 148 blades x $2.58 = $382. I buy Personna Blues https://www.amazon.ca/PERSONNA-Blades-60-0257-Double-100-Pack/dp/B0077LAJT2 with free shipping (I buy x2) at a cost of $0.20 a blade. I still like a new blade every Monday, so that's $0.20 x 148 blades = $30.00. So, just in blades I've saved $352!

Since switching from squeeze cream to D.R. Harris soap (in cool mahogany dish) I'm also saving. I go through a puck every six months, at $22 each, so that's about $50 in pucks over 37 months. I was buying a tube of the Real Shaving Co. cream once a month for about $7.00 a tube, or $259 over 37 months. So, in soap I've saved $209!

So, just by making this simple switch back in May 2013 I have saved over $561.

2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

My bankbook would have been a lot more happy if I never heard of traditional shaving. By lots and lots.

luv2shave, preidy, brit and 9 others like this.
  3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I am too lazy to count, but I guess that I have spent about the same in the last few years. Buying some hardware and software. Razors, soaps and such (I am lucky to have been given most of my brushes and soaps). And sending some stuff onwards to other Denizens. But the amount of fun I have now, as compared to the earlier cartridge shaves, is in fact incomparable!

But many of us have started out with your idea of saving (and shaving), Admiral! And many have failed. Big time.

preidy, brit, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Let me calculate....I have saved exactly zero. :happy036:

brit, twhite, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

6. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I been a member of the classic shave movement for about 5 months. It's pretty clear me that the ROI curve is pretty steep in the early going. There are just too many painful options and too many really cool and expensive options. So, maybe I'll save money after 3 yrs, but I would have to get a HELLUVA savings to break even at this point.

7. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Since switching I have saved exactly -$784.92. I don't regret a single thing.

luv2shave, preidy, brit and 11 others like this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh boy, that's a lot any way you look at it! :)

AGHisBBS, RyX, Mr. Freeze93 and 3 others like this.
  9. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Well I make my own soap so I save a hell of a lot money that way, but I haven't save money because " Hi my name is Mike "Hello Mike" I am an addict" I have to buy 100 blades of the the blades I like, brushes, razors, oh don't get me started on vintage razors !

Terry, brit, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have saved right around double that.

wristwatchb, brit, AGHisBBS and 8 others like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have not calculated my usage.
    But if you figure in the enjoyment I've had finding,hunting researching, trading,and conversing with like minded gents (and a few ladies). I would say im ahead of the game

preidy, wristwatchb, brit and 10 others like this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

You just can't calculate good clean fun.

brit, Terry, wristwatchb and 9 others like this.
  13. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

No, but the accountants at Disney sure give it a good shot.

CarlfromMO, wristwatchb, RyX and 7 others like this.
  14. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

Part of my move to TTO was trying to move to a minimalist lifestyle. I wanted one excellent razor and one excellent blade. When I see pics here of shelves filled with razors and kit, I just see clutter. For me, counters are for activities, never for storage. But to each their own, and I can certainly appreciate the passion.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I will go with that. It's too painful to think about the actual cash spent. But the enjoyment I have gotten in return is nearly priceless.

brit, wristwatchb, RyX and 7 others like this.
  16. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

It should/could be viewed in different terms.
    Voyage of discovery.
    Ultimately better for the voyage and the destination.
    Shaving is no longer a chore but rather a therapeutic activity to start the day.
    No price/economics for that result.....

brit, preidy, AGHisBBS and 8 others like this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

That was minus $. @crackstar.
    :)

Demidog, AGHisBBS, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I am with you Clint.

brit, preidy, RyX and 5 others like this.
  19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Mais oui, I know! ;)

AGHisBBS, clint64, waffen and 2 others like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would have saved a couple thousand if I'd never heard of wet shaving. Easily.

I would have missed out on a lot of fun though.

luv2shave, brit, RyX and 11 others like this.