Muhle R41 Twist, anyone try it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by shave/brush, Oct 23, 2015.

1. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I am thinking about buying a R41 Twist razor. The handle is bigger than the original, 14.2 mm vers 12.2 mm on the other. The weight on it is 85 grams as apposed to 65 grams on the original. And I like the 2 piece design. Anyone try the Twist yet?

2. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

Mühle R41 Twist is a wonderful shaver. In common with other two-piece razors, you lose the option of swapping handles, but the Twist is a very beautiful and very effective razor.

I'm not criticizing the Merkur two-piece razors, but the Mühle Twist exhibits a much more meticulous feel -- more like a precision chronometer than a safety razor.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. shave/brush

Yes it does look very classy. I did finally pull the trigger on one yesterday. I can't wait to try it. I already had the R41 but this is a little different experience than the other.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I love my R41, but the handles are too slippery for my hands. I have replaced it with a Weber Bulldog, so the Twist is out of the question for me.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What Primo wrote. Also, Mühle needs to do something big!! That isn't big,

Spud likes this.
  6. shave/brush

I think it is pretty big. To piece razors have a more solid feel. Less blade handling and this one has more heft to it. Looks better also.

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

My wife & daughter got me an R41 Twist for Father's Day. I've only used it a couple times so far but seems nice. I don't have any other versions of the R41 to compare to but I do have a Fatip Piccolo and an ATT H2. The R41 seems a bit more aggressive than both but still smooth if you've got a light touch. I also have an R89 (my first DE) so I know the handle the standard R41 would come with and I do like the larger diameter handle of the Twist. It has a nice neutral balance so it's easy to keep the pressure off. I'll need to use it a little more to have a solid opinion but so far, I like it.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. shave/brush

It is a nice razor. I've always liked the 2 piece design.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have an R41 (head only) but use a Ikon Bulldog handle for a better grip and added weight. However the Twist is a good looking set up.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. shave/brush

The Twist has a wider diameter than any other handle I have seen. It's 14.2 mm. I'm not sure is that really makes a difference.

11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have the R41 Grande. The handle is the same diameter, although a little shorter than the twist, and mine comes in 10 grams lighter than the twist. I like the weight and balance of the Grande, so I don't see a need to change it for a 2 piece design.