Tabac soap - super strong pong.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by dangermouse, Jun 24, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Got some Tabac soap and used it tonight. It lathered beautifully, provided a terrific slick shave; but the smell, which would be nice is lesser quantity, is too flipping strong. Does it lose some of the smell when it's been open for a while? I'm getting fed up with smelling it.

Erik Redd likes this.
  2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Haha, I feel ya. It's pretty strong scented. Could suffice with half its perfume.

I think my tub smells equally strong now as when new a few years ago.

3. dangermouse

Bummer!

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Does it smell like an old woman who smokes too much?
    (Troll alert)

5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Not to me, but I guess it does remind me of Gramma. But, you know what? I kinda like it. Maybe you can hold your breath for each pass. Then, you won't have to deal with smell while you are using that exquisite lather. Tabac is just awesome at making shaving yogurt.

6. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I really like it, after you rinse it off the scent is gone. Bulletproof performance shave wise and I love the scent.

GatorJoe likes this.
  7. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I don't think the scent wears off. When I use it, I smell it ALLLLLL day. Lol but I like it.

tuxxdk and gmaugie007 like this.
  8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I think the scent does mellow a bit after a while. If you leave the jar open it will fade faster - I cracked the lid on mine and the scent faded over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. tuxxdk

I think it's only in the US the old ladies use a man's product. Haha :D

10. tuxxdk

I beg your pardon for disagreeing but the scent is far from gone. Far from it.

11. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

For me, I became nose blind to the scent. Just finished my first puck of the Tabac.

Dave

Tdmsu and tuxxdk like this.
  12. tuxxdk

That's the thing. Strong scents and tastes will eventually make the senses saturated tricking you into believing the scent or taste of something is faint or gone and maybe even making you want more.

Example: I don't eat my cornflakes with sugar. They are plenty sweet enough the way they are. My friend always eats them with sugar - to him they are not sweet enough. This is not a YMMV situation. He's simply used to all the sugar hence his senses are saturated wanting more. Mine are not and would gag me should I apply the same amount of sugar.

Tdmsu likes this.
  13. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

The scent may mellow out if you leave the tub open somewhere for a while (check it every week and see what happens). That, or you can just use it on a regular basis (every shave/every other shave) while letting it air out between shaves to see if it grows on you.

Fine accouterments also came out with their own line of shaving soaps which are supposed to be Tabac replicas only without the scent, so that could also be your final option if the scent strength really doesn't work for you.

Tdmsu likes this.
  14. dangermouse

The garden perhaps? ;)

JoAnne at TSD shop, makes an amazing, mildly scented Tabac style soap. I had a sample piffed to me once. It was great, that's why I went for the Tabac. TSD soap was way better.

Porter likes this.
  15. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

The garden, the roof, an air raid shelter, across state lines.

Well, the tsd tabac type seems like your go-to then, if the tabac never mellows out enough.

dangermouse likes this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Geez, it smells good and besides whatever aftershave I use deletes it. It's a superior product and a real shame that you don't like it. Just sayin......

17. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I like the smell, it's perfect followed by the Veg.

dangermouse likes this.
  18. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

It smells like grandmas to me. Not stinky. Just like grandma. I personally like my Tabac. But I'd never use the aftershave or cologne. I really don't want to smell like that all day long. But the performance of the soap is amazing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dangermouse and dscaver like this.
  19. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

+1. Anything over time will mellow. Tabac is a strong scent, but if you dont like it... Why not just move to something else. TOBS, T&H, stirling soaps, mama bear, dr harris, geo f trumper, martin de candre, klar, proraso, cella, razorock, grim blades, AOS, origins, penhaligon, etc.

Don't pidgeonhole yourself. There are just too many great soaps out there.

If you need to PIF, let us know;)

Tdmsu and dangermouse like this.