What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mike Powell, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

I've been using a de for a couple of years, but just started using a brush and soap. I'm using vdh brush and soap. This past weekend I bought a super speed which is supposed to be a mild razor, but it is chewing my face up. Currently I am using an Astra blade, and had tried another that started with a P. I have used respiratory blades in my other razor with no problems. I thought I was at the wrong angle from reading other posts here and was careful this morning to watch my angle but after an hour my face is still burning. What gives?

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Pics may help, your super speed may have been damaged somewhere along the line. They are generally pretty mild.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Too much pressure?

RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

My first thoughts were angle and pressure as well, but without pics or having experienced it myself, it's hard to say. I suggest systematically going through your routine and isolating the problem. It could be a number of things (soap, razor, preshave, aftershave, etc.)

I actually got into wet shaving bc I developed a mild allergy to the nickel in cartridge razors out of the blue. Things like this can spring up at any time.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Mike,

Which razor did you use before, and which Super Speed is this? It could be making a difference but I kinda doubt it.

Did you just start with brush and soap? What were you using before?

Has your prep changed at all from what you were doing before the switch? Could be something very small, you never know.

macaronus and AGHisBBS like this.
  6. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

Are you building the lather nice and thick??

My first time using a brush and soap I didn't load nearly enough soap and ended up with horrible razor burn because the lather greatly lacked the protection.

Also - Is it the shave that is burning you or the soap? I've had a few soaps that burned upon contact of my skin. The VDH soap is pretty forgiving to people with sensitive skin.... and it's really a great soap for the price.

I'd suggest using the soap, brush, and a DE that you are already familiar with and see how that goes.

Which super speed is it?

macaronus, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

What David says, if you've been DE shaving for a couple years and a new SS is chewing you up I'm betting it's a blade alignment issue due to doors not closing properly etc...

opsimath, RyX, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  8. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

Maybe it's the soap.

I tried VDH soap a few months ago and it made my face burn. When I used my other soaps there was no irritation but each time I used the VDH the skin on my face got red and burned. I tossed the VDH and won't use it.
    It sounds like you added at least two new things - a new razor and new soap. Maybe back out each thing you changed one at a time until you find which new item is causing the irritation.

9. Mike Powell

I went an looked at it and one side was at an angle. looks like a 1960s model according to the pictures here
    http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?t=32032
    How tight should I be closing it? Ive been going just until the knob stops, but now that I am looking close at it, it bends the blade in one small section when I close it that far

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Mike Powell

Looking at it threw my phone it looks like it is not level. I'm trying to get a pic loaded for you guys to look at also

RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Mike Powell

Here is a picture. I looked at this razor carefully when I bought it, and didnt see the angle on the bar.
    Is there a way to fix this?

Attached Files:

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Yeah that's your problem. You might fix it, or get it fixed, but honestly, the price of a decent superspeed is low enough that I would chuck it and get another.

gorgo2, Robyflexx and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. swarden43

Yup

Pilotcld and PickledNorthern like this.
  15. cmorris357

I was looking through my stash and I have a 1966 superspeed that I could send you if you are located in the U.S.

Sara-s, RyX, Pilotcld and 5 others like this.
  16. swarden43

Atta boy, Chris! He's in the Houston area, according to his intro post. Course, all bets are off if it's a cover for the Witness Protection Program.

17. cmorris357

Hmmm...Does Texas still consider itself part of the U.S.?

RyX, twhite, Robyflexx and 1 other person like this.
  18. swarden43

Makes you wonder just a bit more about that Witness Protection Program, doesn't it? :think002:

twhite, cmorris357 and macaronus like this.
  19. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Be careful, befor you know it they hold a referendum and vote for a Texit! :p

RyX, Pilotcld, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Since superspeeds aren't costly, you might consider to bend it back. If it doesn't work, just look for another. :)

Robyflexx likes this.