How's Your Day? July 2016

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by richgem, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Just got my new glasses-Adidas plastic frames. The last time I had plastic frames was sometime in high-school.

2. Paul Turner

The only kind I can have now is no sugar added.

3. Paul Turner

Mr. Vice-President, I enjoy watching squirrels try to negotiate my bird-feeder. They just can't do it!!

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Robyflexx and FatherofSquirrel like this.
  5. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

thats awesome

Robyflexx and richgem like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Good so far-up for an earlier than usual workout at the gym, then providing help to prepare for early arrivals of our family reunion which TEHNICALLY begins Thursday, but the first bunch comes tonight.

macaronus and ob1page like this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Another day closer :happy108:

macaronus likes this.
  8. richgem

I finished the Italian course on duolingo.com.
    (I took 6 years in school and this we a great refresher. I'm pleasantly amazed with how much I remembered.)

Still working on Dutch and making generally good progress.

macaronus, Erik Redd and ob1page like this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Good

macaronus and ob1page like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool.
    Just something you've wanted to do for personal gratification? Or more professional reasons?

macaronus likes this.
  11. richgem

thanks steve. just something for personal enrichment and to give my brain something outside my daily routine to work on.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    macaronus, Erik Redd and swarden43 like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My daughters, 8 and 6, just put on a musical production in the living room entitled "The Robot and the Ballerina." Reminded me of an early '60s European art film, it didn't make a lick of sense. The cardboard box robot head was cool, though.

13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I just got back from an overnight jaunt to Lancaster PA. We went to the big archery store, did some shooting & explored some local shops. Fun trip, but I'm beat.

macaronus, Paul Turner and Erik Redd like this.
  14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Today I had my theoretical exam for stoker on steam locomotives. 20 questions and 3 hours. And you needed every minute to answer the questions like:
    • Name all things you must check (and do) before starting a fire in the fire box.
    • Draw the vacuum brake system and explain how it functions
    • Draw a lengthwise cross section of a steam kettle and name its parts
    • Name all the things you must check (and do) while building pressure in the kettle
    • Draw an injector and explain how it functions
    • Draw a Ramsbottom safety valve, explain how it works and name the legal requirements it must answer to. (I missed one requirement here)
    • Name at least 10 reasons why steam pressure may not increase. (about half of the reasons are things you should have checked before starting the fire anyway - see question #1, so this one was a piece of cake - apart from having to write them down ;))
    • Why is a leak in a pressurized steam kettle more dangerous than a leak in an air pressurized tank?
    • Name all parts of the locomotive the energy passes between the coals and the towing hook of the locomotive
    • Draw a level glass, explain the procedure of blow-cleaning the glass and explain why the order in which the procedure is executed is of importance
    • etc (I missed something here as well)
    • etc
    I had 19 out of 20 points. Another guy who did the same test today had 18 out of 20 points. So you might say we both did just fine. :bounce017: But that is thanks to our teacher. He's great!

Now we need to build some experience to be able to do the practical exam (stoking on a trip without needing any help). If we pass the practical exam, we will be stokers (or machinist apprentices). Then still more experience is needed for the practical exam to eventually become machinists. The machinist must be able to drive the locomotive and do the stoking at the same time all by himself. So you really must be on top of your game. :)

And I even started the day with a really good shave! :happy093:

But enough bragging for me for today. :)
    How are ya'll doing?

15. richgem

way to go Mike! Now let's see number one, find the matches. number two.....uh pass.....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    macaronus likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Helped the girls make cow-like costumes after they heard Chick-fil-A gives a free entree to whoever shows up in a cow costume tomorrow.

macaronus, Robyflexx and Sara-s like this.
  17. micah1_8

micah1_8 Poor Heartless Prevert

So, my office is in the middle of our big move to a new building.

I'm stressing the heck out.​

18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I hear you. We went though that just before Christmas. Still trying to figure out where things are...

And now we have a group from another office moving into our facility next month.

macaronus likes this.
  19. micah1_8

"Who moved my cheese?" was written for people like me. Sometimes I wonder if I'm not borderline Aspberger's. I just finished my first year on this job, and in the last 2 months we've had 4 people in my office leave, not counting the 4 temps who came and went within a few days--just long enough to learn their names. My meds are getting a full workout, that's for sure.

macaronus and Robyflexx like this.
  20. micah1_8

Possibly the greatest thing I've seen in the last 5 minutes: baconipsum