Mike's vs. Haslinger

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Porter, Jul 5, 2016.

?

Mike's or Haslingers?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2016.
  1. Mike's

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Haslinger

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

IMO, these are two top notch soaps. I sadly don't have any Mike's right now but will hopefully fix that soon, and have a good stash of Haslinger's at the moment that I'm thoroughly enjoying.

So, which one wins out for you? Which one for all factors included (scent, price, packaging)? How about straight up performance?

GO.

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

For me, it depends on what criterion, I'm looking at. Overall, I'd say that Hasslingers has it by an bit in "overall" and in "scent." But, Hasslingers is also very overpriced (IMHO) for the size puck you get.

Billyfergie likes this.
  3. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Interesting what you say about the scent. Mike's seems to have a wider range of scents. That being said, I usually go for lighter/scentless anyway. Price wise for me, Haslinger and Mike's end up about even when I buy Haslingers in bulk from overseas. Shipping up to Canada with Mike's is painful.

Performance wise, I've remember really liking the face fell and cushion of Mike's, but had a little trouble getting top level slickness out of it.

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Mike's are insanely expensive for me to get a hold on, so I have yet to try one. Given that caveat, I have to say Haslinger.

I've been enjoying Haslinger much, until a dispute with the firm over a defective puck. Haven't touched them since.

The Ringelblumen from Haslinger will always have a place in my heart. Exceptional performance with a scent that reminds me of my grandparents bathroom. Total retro flashback.

Billyfergie and opsimath like this.
  5. richgem

"two out of two penguins recommend hesslingers"

macaronus, tuxxdk and Billyfergie like this.
  6. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Mike's is top notch, great performer, has better scents than Haslinger but for pure performance I'd say Haslinger Schafmilch

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have never used either. I guess i need to get on that.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

Same here...

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I have Used Both..Haslinger All the Way..:transport022:

Billy..:chores016:

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I still have to try Mike's, but boy, that Haslinger Schafsmilch is good! And affordable in these parts. ;)

But there are so many more great soaps. Can't choose! :angry017:

Billyfergie likes this.
  11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Both are good soaps, I prefer Mikes due to the stronger scents, but Haslinger has great performance as well so its a close call.

12. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Well I finally put in an order for some Mike's-a bar of Unscented and a tin of Peppermint and Rosemary. It'll take a while but I'll be able to put in a proper comparison.

macaronus and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Haslinger is cheaper to get here than Mike's (which also must be shipped from the USA), so "overpriced" probably depends on where you live?

macaronus and Billyfergie like this.
  14. richgem

That makes sense.

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

USPS is telling me that my order of Mike's soap is now over the border into Canada. That being said, it crossed the border from Illinois and I live in Vancouver BC, which is just North of Seattle. The wait continues...
    :char039:

16. richgem

Be patient... the polar bears are still testing it out for you.

Footage just in from the Penguinators:

Billyfergie likes this.