SoS: July 18, 2016 - July 24, 2016

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

BE "ALERT" THE WORLD NEEDS MORE "LERTS"

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

clint64 and Llyr like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs001:

clint64, ram57, Llyr and 1 other person like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Beautiful! I love the lighting

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

•Gillette Guard
    •Aramis/Willams/Cremo blend

Two pass DFS.

Meh. I'm pretty smooth on the cheeks but the neck paid for it.

Pro:
    + Excellent grip - wider and longer than most disposables and intricately (for a disposable) textured
    + Comb looks like it would let you take off a full beard with little difficulty
    + Good for a quick weekend-type shave or travel kit

Con:
    - Pivot head combined with no weight forces you to push to cut anything. Now my neck is irritated.
    - Don't try chasing the baby. Catching it won't be worth it.

I would glue the pivot to lock it into Trac II mode but I don't think it'd matter, and then I couldn't use the remaining heads. As is, I can get as good or better shaves with DG carts and Dollar Tree disposables (I say this knowing I am not the Guard's intended market; it'd be better than nothing but is NOT better than DE). As always, YMMV.

Well, that molecule of curiosity is satisfied and I won't need to buy it again when these heads wear out. I think I'll pass it on to the Wife; if she likes it maybe I can break her of the Fusion Proglide.

alfredus, Recklesstr, ilts and 19 others like this.
  5. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thanks Doug. Excellent, super smooth 2 pass shave this morning. I need to use my DdC soaps more often, they are one of the best overall shave soaps in my den.

clint64 and Llyr like this.
  6. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

:happy096:

clint64, Primotenore and Llyr like this.
  7. Llyr

Llyr Stay frosty, my friends!

Menthol Monday
    145962858018711595.gif

Semogue BC Mistura
    Stirling Mentha PSO :love029::love029::love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Stirling Glacial MITA :love029::love029::love055::love055::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Satin Mongoose/Feather Pro Super (4)
    Bloc Osma
    B&M Arctique ASL :love029::love029::love055::love055::angry021::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:
    Thierry Mugler A*Men Ultra Zest

A real frosty start to the week :D

Stay frosty,my friends! :cool:

alfredus, Recklesstr, ilts and 19 others like this.
  8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Monday

Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Bath Soap-Mountain Man
    Soap: Maggard-Limes & Bergamot
    Razor: Gillette NEW Long Comb
    Blade: Vintage Personna 74 Tungsten (5)
    Brush: oscar11 Boar-26mmx60mm
    Aftershave: Chiseled Face-Ghost Town Barber

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Maggard Limes & Bergamot today. 20 seconds to load the oscar11 Boar. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Personna 74 still in the NEW LC. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Chiseled Face-Ghost Town Barber.

Bob

[​IMG]

Tras Krom, Llyr, alfredus and 24 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs001:

Llyr, clint64 and ram57 like this.
  10. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
    Pre shave - Prep
    Razor – Weber ARC
    Blade – Zorrik Super Platinum
    Brush - New Forest Tubby 1 Finest
    Soap – Mike's Natural
    Post - Witch Hazel

Well, there's a blade that exceeded my expectations.. at first it felt a little rough, but it was obviously sharp, and smooth enough to deliver an irritation free, BBS shave.. colour me gobsmacked!! I'll be using those again.

Llyr, alfredus, Recklesstr and 18 others like this.
  11. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

July 18/2016 MON.

Razor: Hashir
    Blade: Personna Stainless Coated (2)
    Lather: VDH Shea Butter
    A/S: Gillette Gel/Old Spice Splash On
    Newspaoer Date: Feb 2.1944

Fishy, fishy, fishy..... com`on, the lure is right in front of you, BITE. Oh well, maybe next time. I`m getting close, with a two pass shave with the shea butter.
    The 1st pass, WTG all the way, a couple cross strokes on the neck, smooth, I can`t believe this shea butter (no lather). Sure is smooth. The 2nd pass, ATG/XTG. T July 18-2016 Mon 001.JPG July 18-2016 Mon 004.JPG he clean up was easy. Becoming happier with each shave. Still can`t get that area under my chin. I DO have really nice shave. It is what it is.

Bill

Tras Krom, Llyr, alfredus and 22 others like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Menthol Monday? Why Yes!

Vintage Williams Stick & C.O.Bigelow
    Vulfix 660s Medium Super Badger
    Gillette Flare Tip & Rapira SS
    Alum and Osage Rub AS

SOTD 07182016.gif
    Hot weather calls for a cool shave. I've experimented with superlather mixes and this one works well. Between old Williams and C.O.Bigelow cream I get that yogurty As Seen On TV lather. Plenty of slick & cooling to boot. I had a couple days of growth to mow down and the Flare Tip does it with flair. Rinsed and received a quiet swipe with alum. Then to the moment I've all been waiting for; Osage Rub. Having been forewarned of the consequences of improper use I carefully poured a couple drops into my palm. Setting the bottle down to avoid accidental exposure to sensitive body parts, I rubbed my hands together and applied to my face. Humm, I thought, I get the Vick's Vaporub scent. Then the alcohol evaporative cooling kicked it! THEN the menthol chill! So good I applied much more over top of my first dose.
    Uh huh - good stuff! :cool:

Tras Krom, Llyr, alfredus and 21 others like this.
  13. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thank you for your kind words. :)

14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Route 66 Black Pearl
    Oscar11 Synthetic Brush
    Sensation Straight
    Ever-Ready Lather Catcher
    Vintage Ever-Ready Blade
    Alum
    Thayers WH
    Pinaud Lime Sec AS
    Have a great week!
    [​IMG]

Tras Krom, Llyr, alfredus and 20 others like this.
  15. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Here we go again, sigh

Bill

Llyr, celestino and clint64 like this.
  16. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Excellent soap, poor technique.
    I really love this scent, and I've missed it dearly since I last ran out of the splash. This was my first try with the soap and it lives up to the BM standard of quality lather performance. The packaging is classy - something to display proudly. The old label was historical, this one is lavish and better suited to the magic inside. Now, my technique lacked - I decided to try and cut back to two passes to reduce irritation - WTG-ATG= ouch. I got a few little weepers, but mostly burn. I'll take a few days off from straights to heal up.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tras Krom, Llyr, alfredus and 22 others like this.
  17. stota

stota Well-Known Member

7/18
    Razor: Gillette Adjustable Slim
    Blade: Big Ben
    Brush: The Purest Satin Tip Black Synthetic
    Lather: Men's Soap Company - Everest Lavender
    Aftershave: Witch Hazel
    Alum
    Beard oil: Rugged Roots - Orange Cedarwood

Put another new blade on this morning. It was a great shave and the soap is quiet nice. It does have a slight cooling sensation.

Llyr, alfredus, Recklesstr and 20 others like this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

In the Good Old Shavertime!

July 18

Grand Blade Trial

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (2)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum, The Veg

Week two of the Grand Blade Trial begins. After yesterday's great shave I'm looking at another Dorco blade. This one is the Prime, and it is featured in their Prime Starter Set that has an obviously cheap TTO and 30 of the Prime blades, which are designated STP301 in there scheme. They are described there as a Platinum blade with extra Tefton coating. No, that's not a missed spelling...that's right off of their website. I assume they mean tefLon coating.

Arko and the Wolf for another fantastic lather. No mistakes on this one. Thick, more than enough for two shaves, the whole nine yards. First pass was pretty weak. I didn't expect perfection after the ST-300 but I'm not sure this blade is better. It wasn't painful, draggy or anything like that, it just didn't do much reduction. Clearly not a sharp blade. But not horrible either.

Second pass XTG and it did a bit better. I did feel a bit more drag this way but nothing serious. And the third pass ATG was a nice finishing pass that took my face to a barely DFS. On my neck I made sure I added lather and went very steep Gillette Slide. About 50 degrees steep with is suicidal with a sharp blade. This one just gave me some further reduction but I can't claim it's even DFS on the neck. Maybe barely.

So, on the mild setting this blade is not working well. It gets the job done.....enough......but so many blades do better in a mild razor. We'll dial it up halfway tomorrow and hope it goes better!

[​IMG]

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

SOTD - Menthol Monday Edition
    18 July 2016

[​IMG]

Have a nice afternoon!

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

July 18 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Frozen Tundra
    Gillette British Tech
    Osage Rub
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Canoe AS

Tras Krom, Llyr, alfredus and 19 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.