Maggard Razors????

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lradke, Jul 17, 2016.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

So I want to pick up a new razor; I was thinking of the Razorock Mentor, but I see that it's the same as the Maggard V3a. Does anyone have any experience with Maggard razors?

I was thinking of getting this combo pack: http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-v3-v3a-two-head-bundle/

With this handle: http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-mr9-long-bulbous-handle-chrome-safety-razor/

I understand the V3 head will be similar to my Muhle R106, which is fine...but I'm really wanting the gunmetal V3a head.

As for the handle, I wanted something different and I was thinking of the slick one, or the crazy bamboo styled handle by them.

Any input on these products at all?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I have used Maggard 6/OC. The verdict was that it was too mild for my shave technique. The handles, however, are about as well made and value priced as you'll find, so I give Maggard a thumbs up.

3. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I bought the 3 head bundle. The V3 is very close to my Muhle R89. The V3A is much more aggressive. I like it. It's not my daily razor, but I rotate in every now and then. With some care and a good sharp blade it can shave very close. I take my time with the V3A when I use it. With they right blade I can get close enough on one pass. I like the look and I wish that Maggard had a matching handle, but for now, I have it on a MR-18c.
    IMG_1791.jpg
    The V3OC (open comb) is fine too, but strangely doesn't seem as aggressive as the V3A.

4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I really, really like aggressive razors. Like my Ikon Tech. So it was a step down in aggression when I got my Razorock Mentor, and I just love it. It's so easy to just glide through my shave without a care of nicks or burns. I even like the short handle that it came with. Defiantly the best razor I've bought in a long while. I highly recommend.

Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

@Iradke : I have a V3 A. I really wasn't a fan. I found it to not be very smooth for the aggression it did have. P.M. Me your address and I will mail it to you. It's just laying in a drawer anyhow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waffen, lradke, Bama Samurai and 3 others like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I have one also and while I appreciate the gunmetal finish, I don't appreciate the blade alignment problem.

waffen and PickledNorthern like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

I never had any trouble with mine lining up, for me it just gave kind of a rough shave for not being overly close. Or maybe it would be better to say that if I chased a close shave it wasn't a comfortable one.

I didn't find it to even play in the same ballparks as any of my other aggressive razors.

It is pretty though.

waffen and Robyflexx like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

It is worth saying that for the price Maggard asks, it would be reasonable for just the handle alone. If a guy doesn't like it, keep the handle and PIF the head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waffen and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've found Maggard to be an excellent vendor. The owners provide top shelf customer service. I only have a V1 razor and find out comparable to my DE89. Their soaps address top notch. Finally, their prices are hard to beat.

waffen and PickledNorthern like this.
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I've got two. A MR4 that is not a current model and a MR18.
    I like them both. They're well made and nice and heavy for sure handed response.
    The MR4 is in my regular rotation and the MR18 is in Florida at my parent's home to use when I visit.
    I haven't tried one of their V series but hat's off to @PickledNorthern for a generous offer

waffen likes this.
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I like the V3A not as aggressive as the IKON tech and I get great shaves from it. Just goes to show how everyone is different.....

12. PickledNorthern

You got that right.

waffen likes this.
  13. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

I am going to pick up the v3 with a fat travel handle and a mr18 dig the gunmetal look

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  14. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Thank you very much! It has been sent.

I don't really know what type of aggression I like. I love muhle R106, but I also have the R41 head for when I haven't shaved for a few days...and I find it great. I also love using an autostrop with feather blades...and find it very mild.

So I'm really interested in trying this one out.

Thanks again! :D

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Maggards is my first pick for shaving gear. As far as their razors are concerned, I have both the MR18C and the MRG both are very nice razors. The MRG is a bit more agressive than the 18c IMO but both have nice weight and are a good value.

Robyflexx and lradke like this.
  16. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I do find that you can misalign the blade if you aren't paying attention. It happens on their V3 closed comb too. The alignment pins in the cap are undersized for the holes in the base, but a little jiggering and it's easy to straighten out. Though, there are lots of other razors that don't require the jiggering. It's all in what you want to tolerate. IMO, you can't beat Maggard's prices for their gear. The MRG looks very cool if you want a matching handle and I think their stuff stacks up just fine to most. But, it seems to me that you get a bit more attention to detail if you spend a little more. The alignment pins on my Muhle heads are much more closely cast (or machined) than on my Maggard heads. I can just drop the blade on the head, base on the blade, tighten the handle, then go to town. No fuss, no muss. But, the Muhle heads are 3.5 times more expensive and they pretty much give me the same shave as the Maggard razors.

Robyflexx and lradke like this.