DIY blade vault

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by Single Wedge, Jul 26, 2008.

1. freemartin

freemartin Afficianado of "cans"

:confused: Legal Mumbo Jumbo -- I'm in the Aesthetics Field. I just thought it would look cool wrapped or painted over, and better than a soup can with a slit in it.

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

But not on which side of the law ;)

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

:happy102

4. pezspencer

pezspencer New Member

At the outlet mall yesterday, one of the shops was selling souvenir Las Vegas tin banks for $1.99 that would be perfect for a blade bank. Coin slot on top, bottom hole not large enough for blades to come out. Looks like it would hold at least a few years of blades (unless you are a 1 blade use kind of person).

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Touche :happy102

6. -PO-

-PO- New Member

This is a great idea, a must have if you have kids in the house. Another project to put on the list

7. timidlight

timidlight New Member

didnt make sence on why glue the tin till i saw the comment about children then it made sence.

8. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

And the tin is sealed so the garbage man does not get cut and it is totally recycleable.

9. pibeandres

pibeandres New Member

Great idea, I'll have to try this out. First though, I'll have to take back a tin or two from my girlfriend. Every time we empty one she takes it and squirrels it away with the 200 other ones she must have by now. "Because I might need it" or "its pretty" are the two most common excuses.

10. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

The BEST for Halloween! :eek:

11. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

Hehe. The kids always give that option to trick instead of treat, so why not? :D

12. kjparker

kjparker Member

I'm going to make something similar when I get back from Holidays, but I think I will try and find a tin the same size as a small baked bean tin.

Good work!

13. jcwit

jcwit Member

My used blades go in the plastic bottle with my used needles.

14. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I bought a Band-Aid tin from the drug store, opened it in the store, took all the band-aids out and told the cashier to put them in their store's first-aid kit. Brought the tin home, super glued the lid shut and cut a slit in the lid. Wah la! A $1.29 investment that will take a while to fill up.

Band-Aid tins are seriously hard to find these days as all of the companies that make band-aids now put them in cardboard boxes. You can usually still find the tins in older drug stores.

Of course I do have the blade slot in the back of my medicine cabinet and the wall will hold a lifetime of blades too... :happy102

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I took a broth can and cut a slit in the top. I drained the can, rinsed, and painted with rustoleum. I have been using it for over 3 years and it still has room.

16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeppers! Me too! (only a year though)

17. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

All this time and I still haven't made that yet, but I do remember that post "over there" :D

18. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 3 of them actually.

19. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I am thinking it is about time to upgrade. The slit in the top of the can is very uneven. I wonder what would happen if I dremeled a slit in the top of the can instead of punching a screwdriver through the top. :eek:

20. mike72

mike72 Member

I painted mine you can't tell it was a candy container.