Ikon X3 Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Linuxguile, Jul 19, 2016.

1. bcannon87

bcannon87 Well-Known Member

This is my 3rd shave with the X3 and I must say that they have gotten better each time as my technique has improved. While my go to blade the Astra SP didn't work the best for me in the X3 a GSB and Gillette Platinum were smooth as silk.

As others I cannot feel a difference in the sides of the head. The effectiveness of this head blows me away. I have a fairly coarse beard and the X3 mowed down a weeks worth of growth with no trouble at all.

Have mine paired with a bulldog handle as well and to be honest I kinda like the look.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill G, AGHisBBS, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  2. Spiez

Spiez Active Member

This is my second shave with the X3. The first was with a Personna Red loaded in it. This time I used a GSB. I definitely noticed the difference. I got a BBS shave with the Personna and a DFS with the GSB. I have some micro stubble on my neck, so that's why I'm saying DFS. Unfortunately, I started chasing the BBS shave and caused a little irritation. So the next shave will be with Gillette yellows with the X3 and I'll be saving the GSB's for my Merkur Futur. I did use a different new soap this time, Phoenix and Beau Citra Royale which I liked very much. I'll post a review after I use the Gillette yellows.

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN August 3rd
    [​IMG]
    Ikon X3 Slant
    GSB (2)
    DR John's Hydra
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Homemade tangerine AS

Good morning friends.I had an awesome shave with the X3 last night. A night and day difference from my first shave with it.

I started if by making a super slick, delicious smelling, lather with the hydra and put the razor to my face. Knowing that riding the cap didn't work I went the opposite direction and was close to riding the safety bar. Bingo! That was the trick, the razor cut close and efficient! 3 passes later man I'm smooth, welcome back baby! No feedback from the alum. And my homemade tangerine AS made for a devine paring with the hydra. 10 hours later and I'm still feeling smooth! Have a great day my friends!

4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have also tried riding the cap. Definitely doesn't work with this razor. Uncomfortable to me but also not very close.

Gotta get me some Dr. Jon.

Bill G, clint64 and Linuxguile like this.
  5. Linuxguile

If you like citrus, Hydra has it in spades!

clint64 likes this.
  6. tuxxdk

I like it very much :D saw there was a mentholated version of Hydra!

clint64 likes this.
  7. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

That's nice to hear. I also have the Above The Tie S1 and the 39C razors as well as the 37C and the Above The Tie S2. My new Ikon X3 slant head will be here Monday and I am looking forward to giving it a try (I Love slant bar razors). I already have all the handles mentioned including the Ikon OSS handle (I have come to like this handle a lot).

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Linuxguile and Herm2502 like this.
  8. MrMcGoo

MrMcGoo Member

Today I shaved for the second time with the X3 using a new Voskhod blade, a WSP chubby best badger brush with some Taylor Old Bond Street cream. I had a good 4 day growth since i have been home nursing a shoulder after surgery, good thing its my left one. The first pass was WTG N/S and once I got the angle right the first pass removed the majority. The second pass was ATG and was close to complete. So the third pass was more like a clean up plus I didn't do a good job with the lather as it was the second time with the brush and first time using it with cream instead of soap.

Overall there was no irritation and no nicks and my face is smooth. I'm not sure how the X3 will be used with my fatboy and rockwell 6s but time will tell.

Gary

Bill G, RyX, Linuxguile and 1 other person like this.
  9. Linuxguile

SOTD August 7th
    [​IMG]

Ikon X3 Slant
    GSB(3)
    IB Amici
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Homemade Tangerine AS

3 and a half days of growth taken down by the X3 effortlessly. Once you get the angle with this razor it cuts like a dream. It's so mild it hardly feels like it's touching your face but it just wipes away whiskers. Paired with a GSB and it's a silky smooth shave. If you are thinking about getting the X3, do it. It is a bargain at the price it is selling for. Have a great day my friends!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Bill G, RyX, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  10. Linuxguile

SOTD August 9th
    [​IMG]

Ikon X3 Slant
    GSB (4)
    Tabac
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Homemade lime AS

Another fantastic shave with the X3. It feels so mild yet it is very efficient. It is consistently delivering BBS shaves now that I have the angle down. Time to try it with a different blade. Have a great day my friends!

MrMcGoo, Bill G, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  11. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

image.jpeg View attachment 110346 image.jpeg

Well,

I got in a shave today with the Ikon X3 mounted on an Ikon OSS handle on 1 days growth. The shave was very smooth and close and I was very happy. (Let me explain happy) I always shave every second day because of sensitive skin and a course beard growth. I always test a new razors performance on a one day growth to see how it does because I tend to get more irritations on a one day growth verses a two day. The Ikon X3 did an excellent job very smooth with no irritation and it provided a very close shave. The only other razor I have that provides for me simular results is my ATT S1 slant. Based on my first impressions of the Ikon X3 slant I think it may be smoother and might even do better for a daily razor for me than even my beloved ATT S1 slant, time will tell. On another note the fit and finish and blade alignment was top notch on the X3. Ikon did an excellent job on this slant head razor (I love slants and they are my favorite razors in design) I also have an ATT S2, Merkur 37C & 39C and would say these razors are a little more rough on my skin. They do still perform very well but I can only shave with them every second or third day without starting to get some mild irritation on the neck (for me my most sensitive area to shave).

I ordered the Ikon SE special edition satin handle like in the pic's above to finish off the X3 in looks.

My shave today,

* Razor Ikon X3 with OSS handle loaded with fresh Astra Super Platinum blade.
    * Prep- shower and beard wash out then I used the Crown King Prickly Pear mentholated pre shave jelly ( I highly recommend this stuff).
    * Soap- Stirling Wintergreen followed by Stirling Glacial Wintergreen Witch Hazel & Aloe.
    * Post Shave Balm- Stirling Glacial Wintergreen Balm.

I normally get a pretty good feel for a razor useing the method I mentioned above for my skin and beard type. With that said I would highly recommend giving the Ikon X3 slant razor a spin for anyone that is considering a modern slant razor. You can't beat the value for the cost of this slant razor.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    korbz, AGHisBBS, tuxxdk and 2 others like this.
  12. tuxxdk

That SE handle is simply gorgeous! Do you, by any chance, know if it fits inside the iKon stand? Is it thicker at the bottom than the Bulldog?

Bill G likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

SOTD August 11th
    [​IMG]

Ikon X3 Slant
    Rapira Super Stainless Chrome
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Arko
    Homemade Tangerine AS

Good morning friends! This morning I decided to try the Rapira SS Chrome in the Ikon X3 slant. My previous use of the SS Chrome left me underwhelmed and I wanted to see if a little slant action made a difference with this blade. Indeed it did! Loaded up in X3 the Rapira cut with ease where before it seemed a little tuggy and draggy. 3 passes to a BBS finish. Which is quite remarkable in a razor that feels very mild and a blade that was previously unable to deliver! Have a great day my friends!

14. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

The Ikon SE handle is bigger around at the bottom than the Bulldog handle. I think the Ikon SE handle in the satin finish is one of the best handles I have in function and looks, it looks great on the Ikon X3 head. As I get older I am really starting to like the longer razor handles.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

AGHisBBS and MrMcGoo like this.
  15. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Yes the Ikon SE handle is bigger around than the Bulldog handle at the bottom. See my above posting for a pic of both handle end to end.

Here's another pic of the handles side by side.

Take Care & Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

image.jpeg

AGHisBBS, tuxxdk and MrMcGoo like this.
  16. blitz

blitz Member

most have remarked the X3 is mild but efficient. How efficient is it compared to the 37/39C? If I normally get a great shave after two passes with the merkur, will the X3 likely be the same or will it require an additional pass? I am looking at picking up the X3 because of the mild quality but a little concerned because many have commented the X3 is similar to the 102 which is not as efficient as the 37/39c.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Bill G likes this.
  17. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

blitz,

Let me get a few more shaves on the Ikon X3 and I will report back to you. I have tons of shaves on the 37C & 39C razors to compare the Ikon X3 too. I just don't want to jump to any conclusions yet and need more shaves on the Ikon X3.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

18. tuxxdk

Thanks for the photo! Looks really great. I can just squeeze in the Bulldog into my Rockwell stand so the SE will definitely not fit.

When we (I at least) say mild, we don't mean mild in the normal sense. It's very aggressive by regular definition.

I have the 37C and would rate them equal in stubble removal but the X3 is more smooth. That's what's meant by mild - it's very gentle on the face. At least on my mug :)

I have not tried the 102 but have also read people say they're equal efficient.

I get easy BBS with two passes and a quick touch up with the X3.

19. gms541

gms541 Member

Would the X3 head fit the Weber Stainless Classic handle? The handle works on my R89 and I like it's extra length. The fact that the X3 covers the blade tabs is a big plus for me.

Bill G likes this.
  20. tuxxdk

Yes :)

Bill G likes this.