Japanese Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 20, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've seen many listed on EBay, and I have ordered a couple, just because they look nice. Not real fancy, but they look well made(from my eyes).
    What are the prevailing thoughts and experiences with these? I'm not talking about Kamisori razors.
    How is the steel that is used? Quality of workmanship? Ability to hone, and keep a good edge?
    Pics would be great. Before and after restoration pics even better.

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I have a Kikuboshi and a Hien 650 and like them both. They take a great edge and are very nice quality.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I really like the Japanese razors I currently use. Hard ('Swedish' steel on many), great edges. Very impressed—and this is coming from a guy with a strong affinity for old Sheffields.
    Several other members are quite keen on JWest razors and have some real beauties!— Jamie, Lou, Mike & Robert (@Jamie Mahoney @cubancigar2000 @entropy1049 @lindyhopper66 )

Today's shave with a vintage King Pelican 14
    [​IMG]

Yesterday's Hayashi Diamond 8000…
    [​IMG]

Vintage Eiko 6/8" restored…
    [​IMG]

Perfect Works' Favorit' Restored….
    [​IMG]

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

This is my Takehana Feon 172, it takes a very keen edge and shaves great.
    image.jpeg

5. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Here's a few of mine although I have owned many more through the years, most of these are very rare hard to find and definitely keepers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Spectacular examples, Jamie! :love055:

7. DaltonGang

Absolute beauties. Thanks for sharing.

8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Japanese Hamilton Full Hollow 6/8th...Atlas 1000 1/4 Hollow 7/8th..A Real Heavy Weight Blade this One..Both of these are Swedish Steel..FUJI 6/8th 1/2 Hollow..This One has a Japanese Steel Blade...All these Razors have Impeccable Grinds & Shave Like a Laser..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  9. DaltonGang

You guys are killing me.

10. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have 28 Japanese razors, two are the traditional kamisori, 4 are framebacks. Jamie and Kevin take better indoor photos than I do and I am taking groups of razors' images.

Henkotsu Gold No.2 and unknown size 3
    DSCF3542.jpg

Kikoboshi, Suzumasa,Orient, Hashi Tombo

DSCF3548.jpg

11. lindyhopper66

Tamahagane and masa type steel: Houken 66, Tamako

DSCF3572.jpg

Pilotcld, Dansco, oscar11 and 14 others like this.
  12. lindyhopper66

Tanifuji Cape Kennedy 77. Ichi Nippon, Feon

DSCF3576.jpg

Pilotcld, Dansco, oscar11 and 13 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

What are the plusses and minuses of the "Framebacks"? Are the blades fixed, or do they come out?

14. lindyhopper66

Framebacks shave just as well as any straight. These framebacks are fixed blades. There are some English, French and Swedish framebacks that come as 7 day sets of interchangeable blades.

15. DaltonGang

You guys are making it hard to limit myself. I have several enroute to me now. Two are Framebacks. Looking at the photos of all your razors, I see a lot of beauties. Mine will look nothing like those. Have all of you guys restored yours, to look that nice???

16. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Two of Mine were NOS When I Got them..There are Plenty of NOS Japanese SRs on EBay from Reputable Vendors..Prices Vary a Lot & the Most Expensive Ones Tend to be the Rarest & Most Sought after..:)

Billy..:chores016:

17. lindyhopper66

Mine came as they are now. New in box, mint or just clean well-cared for.

18. DaltonGang

Both my Japanese razors were picked up, the other day. I spent yesterday cleaning the rust and tarnish off. I did not polish too much, because I like the used look for my razors. I also polished the scales. The smudge on the chocolate scale is me, and the oil. OOPS!!
    HANATOMBO 57 東京

P9040436.JPG

弥一 YAICHI 東京 Frameback

P9040435.JPG

I had a very hard time getting these things sharp. So, I went over some videos and found one that was very useful, technique wise.

This didn't do the trick, so I remember somewhere, someone stated the Silver Steel/Swedish Steel, which these are, are harder steels than most blades. Plus, these are heavy beefy blades. I ended up using Lynn Abrams technique for setting the bevel with a taped spine. Then, honing on my #3000 then finishing it with #8000 generic stones. I then doubled the recommended number of strokes, and this did the trick. I also had to triple the number of strokes with the linen and leather strop. These are both WICKED sharp now.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  19. DaltonGang

I just want to say that I am very impressed with the quality of Japanese razors. All, but one, has been easy to hone, and a joy to shave with.
    Over the past several weeks, I have ordered many from one seller, and I have always been pleased.
    aka_fuji(3748). From EBay.
    I have no affiliation with him, I'm just thankful he offers very nice new and used razors with low shipping,and lower combined shipping costs from Japan.
    If you haven't tried a Japanese razor, I would strongly recommend them.

20. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

Have two japanese razors myselfe.very good/smooth shavers☺ you should also check out syn3, zigzagpapa and japannippon.they have meny high quality and NOS japanese razors.but also NOS german and spanish.have bought from them both and they are good sellers.and also the swedish seller tantokatana.he offers free shipping.have bought from him too.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016