Fatip vs R41 open comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Wizard, Aug 27, 2016.

1. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

Been using my trusty Muhle R41 for almost a year now and have been very happy with it but feel ready to step up to a razor with a bit more blade exposure. Tried the Merkur and didn't like the weight or the feel and the metalwork felt very light cheap and thin compared to my sturdy solid Muhle razor but feel I need a touch more closeness now that my stubble is toughening up to DE shaving. Ideally I'd like to keep the same razor but be able to have a more aggressive head but that's not possible. I believe Parker and Jagen David both use the same head as the muhle so no point going for any of those.

Been eyeing up the Fatip but still undecided whether I'm better of sticking with my Muhle R41 or make the leap of faith to another razor with a different style open comb.

Can anyone please advise what the difference is particularly to the weight and feel and which will be a closer match to what I've got already, the piccolo or the Grande?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Can't compare to what you have. I do like my Fatp Grande though. You have to fiddle with the blade most of the time, but it's in my top three...

Bama Samurai and opsimath like this.
  3. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

What's your top 3?

4. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

More blade exposure than an R41?
    I have a Fatip Piccolo and it noticeably less aggressive than my R41. The Piccolo is one of my favorite razors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I don't know if you've considered the Above the Tie H plates, or the iKon Shavecraft Tech, but they're both badboy growlers by all accounts. Personally, my 2014 R41 is quite aggressive enough for my shaving needs. I agree with @barbersurgeon about the Fatip -- a little blade fiddling is needed, but the shave is worth it!

Have you considered shimming your Mühle? One or two shims can make a huge difference.

battle.munky likes this.
  6. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

My Dear wizard, I have three good suggestions, all from experience.

1, Buy the "Aimsport Spitfire" Custom Topcap for your Muhle R41. You can buy it online from Shapeways for under $25, when last I checked.
    It will make your 2013 R41 into something superior to the 2011 model. It is made of resin however, so you have to be careful with it. If you drop your razor, you will break it's neck.

Or 2, you could buy an iKon Tech. The iKon Tech is more aggressive than the Muhle R41, and has a much more stable blade vice, hence no blade flex.

Or 3, move on to SE razors. The Gem MicroMatic Open Comb is cheap and available on eBay, likewise the Schick E & G type injector razors.
    The Mongoose & ATT SE-1 cost a bit more and use Feather Artist Club style blades. There is also the brand new Colonial Razors' "The General".
    Both iKon Razors (El Jefe) & RazoRock (Hawk) have SE models in the works. Check their Facebook pages. There you go. Those are my suggestions. Toodles.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Why would moving to a more aggressive razor be moving up?

178-bplatoon and tuxxdk like this.
  8. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I'm currently shaving with my R41 modded using a DE89 style top cap. Really opens up the blade exposure, I imagine like the custom cap mentioned above, except I already had one.

9. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

He said he wanted more blade exposure, didn't he?

10. barbersurgeon

Can't decide on order:

Parker 99r
    Schick blue handle G injector
    Fatip Grande

Depends on the day. And the blade. They are all keepers. I have close to thirty razors. The much lauded slim sees few shaves. The aristocrat is a close honourable mention on 'mild' days.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I feel that as techniques improve, that its possible to get the better results with the milder razors.

I think that if one thought in terms of a wood plane. Its easy to get a bite with more blade exposed. But it leaves the planed material with a choppier surface. Back off the blade, smooth out the surface.
    Same way, if one learned to hold the correct angle. That mild razor can deliver a irritation free shave. The issues arrise when one strives (overcompensates) for smooth by either applying preasure or shaves over the same spot repeatedly.
    A razor more aggressive can make it easier to get a nice shave with poor technique.

But to each their own, i have and use mild and aggressive. I feel ive learned to use the one at hand, and ride the edge(sweet spot for each) best i can.

Im just commenting that we dont nessecarily move up to more aggressive razors. I think the advice against wildly aggressive razors to new shavers is so they dont nick their face all up and get discouraged.

But it would teach them to feel the edge quickly. Like driving a stick shift, learn it first, an automatic eould be easier.

Sorry to ramble, usse what makes you happy, great shaves to all.

12. barbersurgeon

I find a limit at milder razors. Many laud the tech as a great razor, but I can't get a decent shave unless I go to five passes.

The Wizard likes this.
  13. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

why don't you loosen the blade in the R 41, that ought to make it more aggressive.

14. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

If all you want more exposure then try a shim on your R41. To make a shim simply take an old stainless blade and use a pair of shears to cut the shaving edges off the blade making it slightly narrower. Place your shim between the blade and the guard and double check alignment. Repeat as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wizard and opsimath like this.
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Best answer.

opsimath likes this.
  16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

If you want more aggressive than a r41... There's not much. In my experience a straight is the next step up. But that's from my own experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

Tried the shim technique the other day before shilling out on a new razor and also used the top plate from my r89 on the r41 comb. They're supposedly the same top plate but on close inspection the top plate on my r89 head is a good 1mm narrower than the one that came with my 41 head. This was enough to do the trick and give me that little extra I needed.

Thanks for everyone for their suggestions and if I need another step up I think I will take everything mentioned in to consideration.

18. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

As you can see from the first photo, the R89 top plate on the left is noticeably narrower than the R41 plate on the right. On the 2nd photo you can see that the R41 plate is marked with a number 2 so these are clearly 2 different plates sold with 2 different heads which doesn't make sense. The whole point of having the open comb razor is to gain more blade exposure. So why make the top plate wider?

DSC_1230_20160906_092835.jpg DSC_1231_20160906_092852.jpg

19. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

My R41 has the same number under the cup, but I bought it a few weeks ago which makes it a 2013 model. I assume the narrower cup is the more aggressive 2011 model.

20. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member