A question for my long time DE shavers

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by cigarlover, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I rarely get a cut when shaving with a safety razor, and find it to be less cut-prone than a cartridge razor. The notion that safety razors nick and cut might be due to cartridge and electric razor commercials back in the 1970s.

Jim99, gorgo2 and cigarlover like this.
  2. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

DFS and some BBS. I have settled with the 3 peice razors and feather blades. That combo does wonders for me :D

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

Quite a few of us here do not care for the TTO razors and prefer the shave of the vintage 3 peice razors. I just don't like them

4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

In all the years that I've been shaving, I have to admit that there have been cuts but of late, rarely.

cigarlover likes this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Just a few cuts when I was getting used to DE shaving. But none recently.

cigarlover likes this.
  6. Graybeard

Graybeard New Member

I started DE shaving a couple years ago. after getting tired of the high cost of the new blades and an electric razor that gave me a bad case of rash. I would say that I nick myself a lot until I got the hang of it, also a Schick Krona razor. I started shaving in about 1960 and for the life of me I cann`t remember what I started shaving with.

cigarlover and dangermouse like this.
  7. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

Always nicked myself before using a proper shaving soap. And I made it myself, too.

cigarlover and Sara-s like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I guess I never really had too much trouble. When I started I was pretty certain I was going to fillet my own face so I was pretty careful. 25 ish years of cart shaving probably didn't hurt either.

It took me a little while to learn to get my lower neck to DFS+ without a lot of weepers, but that was more of a angle pressure thing than cutting myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cigarlover likes this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Do you make cold-process, hot-process or melt & pour?

10. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

Design flaws and malfunctions aside, generally, there are only a couple of easy ways to cut oneself with a safety razor -- or a straight razor for that matter. The first is to move the blade laterally across the skin at a slicing angle. The second is to inadvertently remove all or part of a skin imperfection such as a pimple, mole or bump. The former, which usually results in a weeper, is usually caused by inattentiveness, although certain techniques such as j-hooking, etc. can increase the likelihood of an accident. I think that the most common cause of this sort of weeper or nick occurs when the blade is allowed to touch the skin prior to the blade being completely (east-west) positioned for the stroke. The latter, can happen simply by not noticing a skin imperfection or assuming that the blade will glide over it. The likelihood of this sort of cut or nick is increased with very sharp blades such as the feather or the kai.

Ultimately there are only two kinds of shavers in this regard. Those who have cut themselves and those who haven't yet cut themselves. The good news is that unless you do something really foolish, it's no big deal. However keep in mind that there is no shaving technique that begins with the words, "Hold my beer for a second. I'm gonna try somethin'."

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Demidog, Bama Samurai and cigarlover like this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

+1 And also we mustn't forget those past the age of 70 with a new wrinkle here and there, that maybe having a senior moment and forgeting to pull the shin and hit what I call a speed bump, while not paying attention or thinking of yesteryear. I for one, being retired, must remember that I'm not really late for work. So I guess we can add number 3: Wrinkles with Senior Moments;).

12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

You should check out the 30 day threads...

@NCoxSTL, @Bama Samurai, @Mr. Freeze93

13. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Member

Since I started DE and Injector shaving in the late '50s, I was sorta used to it when I went back. Spent many years with electrics and some carts and then 4 or 5 years ago I went back to DE & SE. Worst cut was when I forgot the one of my TTOpens also was TTClose. A couple of good nicks with an Injector but nothing to talk about.

cigarlover and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

image.jpeg

You rang? Yeah, many people have no idea what's possible with skill and confidence working together.

You sure? This was DFS on two... ;)

image.jpeg

15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I get weepers somewhat regularly now because I tend to do this. I take so long to shave with a DE on some days that I stop paying attention and next thing I know, I have a nick. I also get weepers because my mustache is a total nightmare to shave along with my lower neck, and I tend to be stupid and go over these areas multiple times without lathering up again. If I were to constantly reapply lather when trying to eliminate my mustache, shaving would be a never-ending ordeal for me.

When I started DE shaving, I almost never got a single nick or weeper. I just had a ton of irritation. I still have a lot of irritation but it has gotten a bit better as my technique improved. My face just doesn't tolerate shaving very well. Cartridges are good in that they don't give me a lot of irritation, but they are more likely to give me nicks. In any case, I don't mind nicks apart from the fact that they are very embarrassing.

cigarlover and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Pretty rare but I get the small ones occasionally.

cigarlover likes this.
  17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I've loose focus now and then. Two weeks ago it happened. Not smart to let the mind meander, especially going ATG on the jaw line. Almost healed now.

cigarlover likes this.
  18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I returned to DE shaving about 4 months ago. Nicked myself on my first shave and none since then until today. One nick this morning using the Feather blade for the first time. I have a pretty smooth face so not a lot of obstacles to get in the way.

19. Key 2 Wellness

Key 2 Wellness Active Member

I just started shaving with a DE about 2 months ago. Get some little spots of blood, but that is about it. I think I have very few problems because now I am enjoying my shave time. I am not rushing through the event. More attention to detail.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Approaching the Zen of shaving. Now you're talking.

Bama Samurai likes this.