RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic VS Maggard Synthetic

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by idan, Sep 5, 2016.

?

RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic VS Maggard Synthetic

1. RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Maggard Synthetic

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. idan

idan Active Member

If you had to choose only one shaving brush what was your choice ???
    RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic OR Maggard Synthetic

Thank you :)

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I noticed that Wolf Whiskers, Stirling soaps co., and L & L grooming wasn't on there, so I didn't vote.

3. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I honestly can't tell the difference by feel alone. I voted Maggard because I used their 22mm synthetic to re-knot an old Williams shaving brush of mine and it turned out very well -- so I have a biased opinion. The RazoRock Disruptor has the exact same feel IMO, but looks much prettier than my DIY re-knot!

Terry Williams and Carbide Mike like this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

They are both great brushes. I do like the large handle and 26mm knot of the Maggard synthetic, but the RR Plissoft is a nice brush as well.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Aren't they the same knot?

Carbide Mike, mikewood and AGHisBBS like this.
  6. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

The Razorock feels denser to me. Must be the loft cuz the Maggard does have higher loft and I like a brush that splays without a lot of trouble. The Maggard does that better than the RazoRock. At least the ones I have do this.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I have both in 24mm and I experience no difference whatsoever. They appear and behave identically for me, except for the handle. The RazoRock handle is a bit beefier. I like that a little better, but both are great brushes.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

I have a Stirling synthetic brush. I can't imagine there being a lot of variation between synthetics but I may be wrong.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

There is, and you are ;)

I would choose neither of the two the OP suggests, btw.

10. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

What are the variations between Synthetic hair ?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

11. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

These links might help.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/synthetic-brush-synopsis-generations-updated.33577/
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...g-Brush-Mega-Review-Add-your-experiences-here
    http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=35323

FWIW, I have found that the brush knots that you can get through Envy Shave, The Whipped Dog, and The Golden Nib are all very similar. They all have some differences, but generally perform very closely for me. I have also found that, with any of the latest synthetics in my den, I don't really miss my natural brushes. I do still use a boar brush with harder soaps and my badger brushes when I want to face lather. But, I get just as good a lather with a synthetic brush and a bowl. So, far the only synthetic that I didn't like was the Kent Silvertex, but I liked the handle. So, I put a Golden Nib 3-band synthetic knot in it and felt it was much better. YMMV.

Some photos so that you can tell the difference:
    L: Maggard 24mm in a Frank's Shaving handle R: RazorRock Plissoft 24mm
    _DSC7782.jpg _DSC7780.jpg
    In these photos you can hardly tell the difference between them and, to me, they work pretty much the same. Though the Maggard knot does seem to have a little more backbone, but that is probably because I set it at a little lower loft. Because they are so similar, it makes me think that they were manufactured in the same place. But, who knows?

Other synthetic knots in vintage handles that I have re-knotted and refurbished:
    _DSC7718.jpg
    ^ Knots (l-r): Whipped Dog 22mm, Maggard 22mm, Golden Nib 24mm

IMG_1871.jpg
    IIRC, this the result of bowl lathering Tabac with the Whipped Dog knot.

IMG_1892.jpg
    Knots (l-r): Whipped Dog 24mm, Maggard 24mm

All of these are very soft. The Whipped Dog knots have a little more backbone, but frankly, you can adjust this when you set the knot.

The O.P.'s choices are inexpensive enough to just get them and try them out, IHMO. If you don't like one or don't feel that you need more than one, then give it or sell it. You will recoup most of your acquisition expense.

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  12. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

To me it doesn't look like there isn't a lot of different variation in the synthetic hair like I was saying to the other person. Most synthetics to me look and feel the same except for Muhle's STF line.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

This is because they all come from the same place the ACME brush factory! Really I have the Maggards brush and it's great. The knot they sell is completely different, stiff , not as dense a POS in my opinion. Same with the Frank shaving knots. The best knots so far for me have been from Whipped Dog.

Demidog likes this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

If you want to experience the difference between synthetics, buy:
    - An Omega S-Brush boar-like synthetic
    - A Kent Infinity brush
    - Any Plisson style brush
    - A Whipped Dog (or similar) brush
    - An Edwin Jagger or Mühle Silvertip Fibre brush

While this does not cover everything, it should give you a good idea of the variations between synthetics.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Whether the differences are due to quality control or some other factor, I can definitely feel a difference between my Maggard and Plissoft synthetics. The Maggard is painfully abrasive and it wouldn't even splay if you mashed it up against a rock. The Plissoft barely splays either but it's a little easier on the face. The Plissoft feels a little more dense and the Maggard chews through soft soaps more quickly due to how stiff it is. I voted for the Plissoft because the Maggard feels barely usable for me. However, the Maggard has one major advantage in that it has the best handle of all time - nice heft, perfect shape, looks great, fits nicely in my hand and in my brush stand.

The Whipped Dog synthetic is miles ahead of both brushes in my opinion. Give me a Maggard handle in butterscotch with a Whipped Dog synthetic knot and I'd have the brush of my dreams.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

These 3 are STILL the best out there.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

18. Straight razor dandy

The black tuxedo knot has surpassed all others and replaced even silvertip natural fibers, for me at least

Carbide Mike and BradleyD like this.
  19. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

Is that your favorite synthetic ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  20. Straight razor dandy

I (and many others) believe it is the best synthetic knot on the market. It performs better than my $100+ silvertips as well

Carbide Mike and BradleyD like this.