Safe shave soaps or creams

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Blah, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Blah

Blah New Member

I was looking on information on all natural shave soaps and creams that work good. Was trying to avoid harsh chemicals.

RyX likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Is there a specific issue you're looking to avoid? Natural doesn't necessarily mean gentler or better. What are you looking for in a soap?

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  3. Blah

Blah New Member

Just trying to avoid ingredients that are harmful to the body.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good old fashioned soap will contain fats or oils derived from animals. Vegan varieties have replaced these "natural" oils with vegetable alternatives. During the process there are some harsh chemicals used, but they will be balanced such that the soap does it's job. Glycerine based soaps seem milder to me, but that's just my impression - not a science based opinion. The essential oils and fragrances used can irritate some folks. If you have allergies read the labels or go unscented.

Demidog and whiteboy_cannon like this.
  5. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

whiteboy_cannon and Shaver X like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Soap Commander is vegan
    Jack Black Supreme Cream says its everything free, funny cuz it was sorta expensive.

7. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Here's the thing...soap - all soap - is made by a process of combining either Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH), aka lye, or Potassium Hydroxide (KOH), aka potash or a combination of both with oil(s). During this process a chemical reaction occurs (saponification) and the oil is converted into soap. When the process completes, none of the original NaOH/KOH remains. These are the "harsh" chemical bases used to make soap.

8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Mike's natural soaps, Taylor of old bond street, Truefitt and Hill, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Pre de provence, Institut Karite

Kiss my face makes great natural creams

"Fine" aftershave for post shave products

It truly differs depending on what you mean by "natural," since you can go from paraben-free all the way up to 100% edible (no...seriously). But the above soaps/products are a great place to look

Paul Turner and Shaver X like this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

No! What your probably looking for is ALL NATURAL shave soap..must say all natural on the label to be really safe from any nasty sorts of additives. There are laws pertaining to the use of the term all natural and the company must be cautious when using the term. Natural by itself is likely misleading..the label must include the ALL preface to be legit. Truefit and Hill is NOT..I repeat NOT an all natural soap..nor is Mitchell's Wool Fat nor Cella etc..good shaving soaps but not all natural. Mikes, Stirling, Maggard's house brand..there are now quite a few on the market these days..maybe as many as 70 or 80 different brands. If you poke around B&B, they have a somewhat comprehensive listing of artisan shave soap makers. The ones I've mentioned are a good place to start. You could even google all natural shave soap and see what you find. It also helps to have a look at reviews to see how they perform, but there's now many great performing all naturals out there so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding good ones...

Shaver X likes this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you @dapper636 ! I figured a Soap Maker would shop up and give the harsh news. During saponification the lye combines with the oil of whatever variety. There is a test that like touching a 9 volt battery to your tongue, you check for "zap". No zap means the pH is no longer too alkaline for use on human exteriors?
    As to "All Natural", a product that contains nothing, a total vacuum, is all natural at an altitude of 100 km (62 mi) above sea level but not conducive to biological longevity. No soap is a natural condition, too. Find your happy medium @Blah . Big Corp & artisan products have ingredients labels.

whiteboy_cannon and cegadede like this.
  11. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

If you see an ingredient that ends I "ate" it simply refers to the saponified form for example, sodium tallowate is saponified tallow using Sodium Hydroxide (lye)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

The Wickham 1912 range are all vegetal, ie suitable for vegan use.

Regards,
    Chris

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Many soaps are all natural in that they are made out of atoms found in the universe. The "natural" label can be a very misleading marketing tool indeed. Also, synthetic does not necessarily mean harmful, nor does natural necessarily mean safe. Poison ivy is natural, but I'll bet you wouldn't want it in your shaving soap!

I doubt that a shaving soap with harsh ingredients, natural or synthetic, would last very long on the market.

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Kiss my Face shave cream.
    [​IMG]

15. cegadede

cegadede Member

THIS. +1000000000

Enviado de meu XT1225 usando Tapatalk

16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

An excellent suggestion! Kiss My Face is super slick, makes for some outstanding shaves, has safe ingredients, some really nice scents and an unscented cream, is affordably priced, and is widely available. It is hard to beat that combination.

17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

+1 for KMF! :love055:

18. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I don't understand the benefit of "all natural" products. What's wrong with synthetic ingredients? There are compounds derived from nature that are harmful to humans, just as there are synthetic chemicals that pose no threat whatsoever to people. Why should I be concerned whether or not an ingredient was formulated in a lab?

RyX, whiteboy_cannon and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

You shouldn't, it's an option for the Puritan's.

RyX, whiteboy_cannon and Demidog like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I raised this point in post 2. Uranium and crude petroleum are both all natural, but their ability to cause benefit or detriment is dependent upon use. Natural means natural. No more, no less.