Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Lucked out today found my first Gem Damaskeene today.

Anyone know what the added metal tubes are for and if they're related to the razor?
    Notice the card that came with the box. I wonder if it's authentic. My name is Rob
    IMG_1202.JPG IMG_1203.JPG

2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Day 3 and I mixed it up a bit...

Weekends are usually my SR shave days and, as I didn't want to miss out on a straight razor shave, I did one pass with the SR and another pass with the Schick. It was a great combination and like a dream come true!

Below is my Kiebitz SR and the Schick adjustable side by side! One pass with each and I ended up with a BBS!
    image.jpeg

3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Stropping handle?

4. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

Great find Rob!!!
    One of my favorite razors. The card is a great touch for that find. Kind of gives you a little peak at it's history!!

The two medal tubes are for another razor. Like a Kempf. The one with the slot held the blade and would allow you to strop the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You did luck out! $16.50???? It's a steal and a great razor! Blades can be bought most anywhere for that. Look for the Gem Personna blades in supermarkets, drug stores and online.

Those two pieces are a stropping handle for the blades.

6. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I believe, but could be wrong, the tubes fit together to form a handle. then slide your SE blade in the slit to hold your SE blade and run it across a strop.

Edit: sorry, everyone already answered your question. Good old delay in loading comments and I didn't see them until after the page reloaded.

7. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

If you look at the handle of this old Star Razor, you'll see the slot for the blade. They were made earlier than the Damaskeene that you have. Great addition to your find!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I moved to the MMOC today. This has got to be the most aggressive razor I own. It just says "if you get sloppy I will hurt you!". So I didn't get sloppy, didn't get hurt and wound up with a near BBS shave after 2 passes. It probably won't make the favorites list though!

image.jpeg

9. Red Rider

Great, thanks for the info.

10. Red Rider

Thanks, I do have blades for my MMOC, Clog pruf, and 1912. Pif'd my bullet tip.
    Yep I lucked out on the price but you forgot to add our 13% tax :p

11. Red Rider

IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1205.JPG Figured it out. Thanks. Here is a picture of the back of the razor and the stropping setup.

12. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

Actually, I believe that the stropping handle may have been included with this razor. Some of the early Damaskeenes came with stropping handles.

Below is pictured a stropping handle from a Kampfe Bros. Star Lather Catcher:

[​IMG]

Note the threads indicated by the arrow. These threads mated with the razor handle to function as a handle extension.

Now take a look at the handle with the Damaskeene. Note that it has no such threads - its only purpose is to serve as a stropping handle.

In A Safety Razor Compendium Robert K. Waits shows a couple of Damaskeene sets with stropping handles.

Regardless of whether or not the stropping handle goes with the razor it is a beautiful example of the Damaskeene and a steal at the price paid.

--Bob

13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I believe you're right Bob. I picked up a Damaskeene set at a flea market last year and it had a stropping handle as pictured in the post by @Red Rider .

14. spidey9

The Personna 74's are both sharper and smoother than the Chinese Schicks in the PAL (or just about any injector, for that matter). I'd compare them favorably to NOS Schick Super Chromiums. They're also supposed to last a ridiculous number of shaves but I don't know yet - that's the problem with having so many razors, coupled with an inability to stick with any particular one for more than a couple of days. :ashamed001:

--Bob

15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The reason I asked is I tried a variety of different blades in the PAL IM - including some NOS Super Chromiums - but didn't find any that I thought offered a better shave. Kind of like the Bunny - even a twin didn't top the shave I got from with with a Schick. But put a Schick in a G and it's a whole 'nother story (at least for me.) :shocked003:

I have some 74s but haven't figured out what razor they might pair best with. I hadn't considered the PAL IM but have thought about my PAL Adjustable when it returns from it's pass-arround tour. :happy088:

16. spidey9

I'd agree that the PAL Injecto-Matic seems to be less sensitive to different blades than, say a Schick E, although I can still feel a difference. Yes, the Bunny is bizarre. While I didn't try a 74 in the Bunny, I did try a Super Chromium and a Platinum Plus - and I actually preferred the Chinese Schick blade!

I've never tried a 74 in a PAL Adjustable, but right now my Adjustable has a Schick Super Chromium in it and after 6 shaves I'd say that it's noticeably smoother and closer than a Chinese Schick blade.

--Bob

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

September 18, 2016
    Gem 1912
    Gem PTFE (6)
    WDC-6 with Sunrise Synthetic
    Mystic Water Eucalyptus & Spearmint
    Witch Hazel
    Myrsol F/Extra

[​IMG]

18. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Sun. 9/18/16

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a real rush this morning but I banged out a two and one half pass shave with the Schick N1 loaded with a twin blade for a dolphin smooth refreshing finish. Tabac shave stick provided beautiful face lathering goodness. Have a great day friends. :)

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Day 4 with the Schick adjustable and I made it a hybrid shave like yesterday.

Here's the Schick adjustable alongside my Wade and Butcher "elite". One pass with the Wade and Butcher left me feeling fairly clean, and the second pass with the Schick topped it off! I ended up with a comfortable BBS!

My son stopped by yesterday evening and stayed overnight. Well, I showed him the Schick and he had to try it. He's a bit intimidated by anything beyond a cartridge, but he gave it a go this morning on a setting of 2. He likes it! I told him to get on the pass around.
    image.jpeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.