A Gem Of A Buy!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I am really surprised that there was no interest in this. It obviously needs some TLC to get it into useable condition, but for that price, I almost feel like I stole it. :D

CLICK ME

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Actually, you probably did. All those pictures!:eek: With the paypal and ebay fees, those people probably ended up paying to send that razor to you.

3. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I like the old blades. Pretty cool looking.

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Yeah, and the seller even added a picture for somebody (not me).

5. freemartin

freemartin Afficianado of "cans"

I agree that you did steal it. That is one great set. Lucky that I haven't even logged into ebay in a couple weeks or I may have bid it up.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Whoa, that's what I call a bargain :D

7. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Great buy! I love that they included double edge blades with your single edge razor. :rolleyes: That is a very cool GEM though!

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

And they're nice and rusty, too! :D

9. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

Nice 'steal' :p

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

If you want to see how this cleaned up, go here.

11. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

thats actually a pretty common model, but K-U-D-O-S on fixing the head. i wouldnt have dared tried that... haha.

12. paydepst

paydepst Member

Hey Dave I picked up a 1907 "thumbscrew" the other day. It's a beaut. I love shaving with something that looks like a mediaeval instrument of torture.

Regarding this GEM that is a nice deal. Glad you posted the cleanup picture because all of the auction photos are gone. Dave's right in that it is a fairly common model but the Gems and Ever Readys are grossly underrated as shavers. Anymore I shave single edge on just about a daily basis. This is going to make some people mad but if you can't shave with a Gem then barring damage to the razor it's your technique plain and simple. And that goes for the Micromatic too! :cool:

Another thing--the Gems are built tough. You hardly ever see these things with brassing or any flaws that a good cleaning won't remedy.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

good, the lather catcher GEMs seem to be picking up. theyre not common models as far as being available, so this warms my heart greatly.

i urge everyone who reads this post to give a gem a shot, or if youve already tried one in the past, give it another shot. i highly recommend the model rick picked up. if you need any help, im just a PM away.

14. paydepst

paydepst Member

Not to hijack the thread here but I find the early GEMs, their formidable appearance notwithstanding, the smoothest and most forgiving razors I've ever used even better than the famed G Bar and that is saying something!

15. tom myers

tom myers Member

Just a week or so ago, D.Irving convinced me to try some of my older Gems. I first used a 1912 patent dated model and was amazed at the great shave I got. After a couple of days with that, I switched to a 1900 patent dated model . . . This was the real eye opener! After using this old razor for a week now, I'm wondering why razor design ever went any further. I think Gem got it right a century ago!

I've been using mostly DE's for about 55 years and now I'm hooked on a 100 year old razor that shaves better than any of them.

Regards,
    Tom

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

+1(000000000000000000000)

;)