Are heavy straight razors better shavers in general?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Tdmsu, Sep 21, 2016.

?

Do you prefer a larger/heavier straight razor, or a smaller one?

1. 6/8 or higher please

19 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 4/8 is the sweet spot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I am wondering about this, since I have some 4/8 and one 5/8 straight razors, and they all feel very light and maneuverable in my hand.

I prefer a heavy DE razor - the Futur or 39c are my favorite choices.

What is your opinion? Do heavy straight razors shave better than lighter ones?

Karl G, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Bigger and heavier is better for me, except under the nose.

Karl G and Tdmsu like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I like a 6/8 or larger blade for the most part. However, I have a 5/8 Ralf Aust that I rank as one of my personal best and favorite razors. It is a full hollow grind, so it does not have a lot of heft, and I get just fantastic shaves out of it.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have both.
    I started with the smaller, then kept getting bigger as collection grew.
    Most of that, was me. I liked the way the bigger ones looked.
    But i have found the 5/8 or 6/8 easier to hone and strop. The half inch were easier around my nose. I didnt see much difference on the flatter places of my face.
    I plan to revisit the smaller blades now that I've gained a bit of experience.
    The grind posed more issue when i started. I used the sound as training wheels. It was slower coming to get a good shavr with a thicker grind.

5. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

My favourite is a 6/8" Tanifuji or my very lightweight 11/16" Russian half hollow, two very different blades.

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

5/8 or bigger works well for me. I also like a heavier razor.

Karl G, Billyfergie and Tdmsu like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Rarely have I seen where someone refers to a 4/8" blade as the 'sweet spot.'
    5/8" is the standard. I prefer a 6/8" given a choice.
    I have several that are 7/8 and 8/8"—and with practice, I dont find a whole lot of difference in either performance or ease of use.

here's a 'ground-down to 4/8"' razor that shaves just fine; but to my tastes, is a bit thin.
    [​IMG]

45auto, Karl G, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  8. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

It just seems like the majority of razors are 4/8 - maybe that is just my price range! :)

9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I like a 5/8, or just a bit larger. I thought I liked the bigger ones, but as I have looked at my collection has grown, all of my favorite razors are around 5/8. 7/8 and bigger require more focus to use, but once the edge is good they will plow through whiskers like crazy. A 5/8 with a good edge, will allow me to get an amazing shave with just the right amount of focus. They are small enough to be very nimble and easy to use. I have a couple of 4/8 razors, and they require a great edge, and more pressure to use. Pressure can cause issues with straights.

Karl G, Jim99, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  10. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

This is an interesting question. I wonder how much experience plays into someone's answer.

I know when I first started learning how to use a straight, I only reached for a 5/8 round tip blade, because I found it easier to manuver through my shave pattern.

Now that I'm more comfortable with my technique, I prefer using larger straights of 6/8 and up. That extra heft just "feels" like its doing all of the work.

I've never tried a 4/8.

45auto, Karl G, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  11. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

I can get a good shave with most razors. Widths and grinds make for a lot of different weights and in the end it is the edge that cuts the whiskers. I do think the quality of the shave sits mostly between the hand and the edge. I think what attracts us to different razors is price and cool factor. I have some really cool little razors and some really cool big and heavy razors, they are all great. The big razors can be very intimidating both in shaving and buying.

12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I like both a 5/8 and a 6/8...I can get a great shave from either. I have a couple of 5/8 that have been honed to a 4/8 width...and this works fine as well. A keen edge seems to make more of a difference...

13. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

6/8 seems to be my go to size. I do have 7 5/8 in regular rotation that I enjoy.

Karl G and Tdmsu like this.
  14. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I think once you get that mass moving its easier to keep it going. My antique straights are all very light weights while a new Dovo seems to weigh twice as much. I think that extra weight and heft helps you shave. The blades are all about 5/8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Speaking of 'heavy' razors: I've owned some hefty blades that were wedge or near-wedge grinds that were 'heavy' in the hand and also delivered smooth, silent shaves.
    There must be something about using a large, heavy blades that appeals to our masculinity — and this is perhaps part of the current fascination with BIG blades (8/8 or larger). Do big-bladed razors shave better than smaller ones? Not necessarily. The size of the bevel (the actually 'cutting' part of the blade) is not dramatically different on a huge 10/8" monster razor from your standard 5/8 blade. Some find the BIG blades (inch-wide or larger) too awkward or cumbersome to use. Others would argue the large blades make achieving the proper angle easier to find.

Shaving a face or butchering a slab of beef? :D
    SafariScreenSnapz471.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  16. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

I tend to like the 7/8 the best, but I don't think it's a one size fits all world. For me, the 7/8, because of its weight, helps me keep a very light touch since the weight of the razor itself is sufficient to keep the razor moving without me having to apply much, if any, motive force (at least on downstrokes.) I also find it easier to maintain an optimal angle on the larger razors. The smaller razors are, on the other hand, easier to maneuver. The truth is I like them all.

17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I like 6/8 or higher, 13/16 is a good size for me, cant say I am keen on bigger. I do have one razor at approx 4/8 near wedge Bengall barbers notch, I re-scaled honed it up and its a nice shaver, first restore I did for myself and I still have it.

18. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Member

I think it depends on blade design ....big square blades work great in 7/8 and larger but 4/8 work incredible if they have a slight smile.

I prefer big and heavy with a gottie as its basically just straight wiping....but if i need finesse the pre 1820's smileys cant be beat!

19. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

20160921_162514_resized.jpg 20160921_162633_resized.jpg
    Biggest and smallest (of mine)

Karl G, 6cuda6, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Okay, David. Comparing the two models shown, what are your opinions on shaving with each? Is one easier, or more comfortable; pros & cons...

Karl G, Tdmsu and Billyfergie like this.