How many fat boys?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kypros Christodoulides, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

O.K gents as most of us here, I suffer from the incurable DE razor acquisition syndrome.
    I love my fat boy, so I bought one. Last night I bought a second one and tonight I cannot keep calm as another good one is ending on e-bay.
    I also love the Ikon X3 slant of which I have two. Now I'm looking for other slants in case they shave better,( no complain from my X3's )
    What is happening to me?

Slow Joe and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Ahh RAD, it happens to us all. Some of us manage to go into remission for a short while or get inflicted with another acquisition disorder that displaces the first. Only those of truly strong will can resist its pull.

Slow Joe, PLANofMAN, stanko and 3 others like this.
  3. Kypros Christodoulides

As I'm a professional violinist, I just came out of old French bows acquisition disorder. I have spend 000's on them. O.K, they appreciate with time, but the razor thing, because it's not that expensive I let myself on the loose.

stanko, RyX and Jorvaljr like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Personally I still don't understand buying multiples of the same set. I do understand buying the same razor that came in different sets, like the Bostonian, richwood, standard. Each one came with a different box/case/container. So you are buying the set. But if I bought just the razor I wouldn't want another of the exact same one. It's just my opinion, I'm not putting anyone down or discouraging anyone. I like variety and I like collecting, my way is different I suppose.

5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

How many Fatboys?

Answer: as many as you can.

6. Kypros Christodoulides

When a razor is exceptional, one has to guard against possible misfortunes, like the only one I have brakes down. A saying by a good friend. You have to have 2 of something that works. You never know what might happen.

7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Join the crowd.

stanko likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

There is one other possibility, you could look for other adjustables, like the Slim and Super Adjustable (Black Beauty) in short and long handles.

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

You could always try an executive. 20160522_090545_resized(1).jpg

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have just one Fatboy. My problem is I would like to have one each of every vintage DE and SE razor.

11. dkeester

dkeester Well-Known Member

Three. I have three Fatboys. I also have three Slims.

I also got a disgustingly good deal on most of them. I got two of the Fatboys and two of the Slims for $5 a piece at a local antique shop. So, yeah, if you can get them, and get a good deal on them, why not?

12. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Not me, but I hear TSD members like to indulge in the kitchen.

wristwatchb likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That's how I feel about my Cooper Monobilts

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I predict that you'll eventually figure out what razors you like to use, and then the purchases will slow down. The 30-day focus threads, where you focus on using one razor, one brush, and one soap for an entire month, helped me move from buying stuff to working on my technique. Now, I get the most kicks out of improving my technique out and enjoying what I have. I still frequently use the same set up for a month or more.

With the help of eBay, my collection peaked at about 30 razors awhile back. It allowed me to experiment and decide which razors I wanted to keep. I thinned down to 20 or so by sharing some of them with friends. It's a fun way to get someone else started in our fantastic hobby.

I now have a couple each of my favorite razors, with several of my vintage razors representing the birth quarter or birth year of me or someone in my family. Even though they will each probably last for 100 more years, I always think about having backups in case one gets damaged. As time goes by, I think it will become more difficult to find vintage Gillettes for a decent price. Hopefully, I will be able to gift these razors to someone that I know will enjoy them in a few years.

My family and friends still think it's funny that I "need" 20 razors. :D

15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I've had 5 in and out the door. Never really felt the love. Over rated and over priced IMHO. Probably why they were only made for a couple of years. They didn't sell so Gillette went to the slim and later the super.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I refuse to answer, on the grounds that it might incriminate me.

17. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Smaller, better, faster, cheaper as they say. Personally my executive fatboy is my favorite of the entire collection, followed oddly enough by my z1 ball end tech. Nothing goes through a few days growth like a fatboy so comfortably.

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've only owned four Fat Boys, and never more than two at a time. Every time I pick up another one I do a side by side comparison shave. Still have my first $5.00 #195. One went to my brother, the other two are in the dens of members of this very forum. I also had a Slim, and since I got them for less than ebay prices my trades have made folks happy.
    The trades brought me a badger brush, an EverReady SE, and a Schick G1 - all items that I didn't yet own. No heartache over any disparity of value because I did get them cheap, traded to folks who didn't yet have one. Then there's the folks who have put items in my den that I can think of no way to repay.
    So if I placed a Legend into someones Den, we both did well.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.
    Robert Jordan

19. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I like your philosophy. I tend to do that too. They are only things. I value the new friends I can make far greater.

Edit: I have 2 that just sit now as I prefer SE's and injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kypros Christodoulides, Hodge and RyX like this.
  20. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have had no problem buying multiples, but check out delta echo razors fat boys...that's another story.

Also look in charcoal goods razors website