Does your technique "really" improve or...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by The Wizard, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I would actually say my face gas gotten more sensitive to shaving. Not so much that I get irritated or anything, but I definitely more aware of what the razor is doing now than I was previously.

dustmite and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I also believe it is technique. I am reasonably sure that your face has no means to "toughen up". And the way your hair grows is genetic (not to mention beginning beneath the surface of the skin.) So I can not see how shaving, which of course, happens above the surface, could change that.

Demidog, dustmite and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

What you say is entirely true. I must add though, after using DE for a while, all the damage and bumps from carts healed, and my skin now has better overall tone and complexion than before.

Sara-s likes this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That makes sense. It is the result of ceasing to injure your skin, rather than making it tougher.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Yes technique does or at least should improve, myself in my 3rd year of wetshaving have been enjoying shaves with razors I used to hate and rarely draw blood unless I get careless. The 1914 SE is a great example. The first time I used it I flat out said " hell no" and gave it up. This month it's been used 2-3 times a week and each time it's a pleasure. So pressure control, angle control and method including good prep, and instinct. All work together for a proper and enjoyable shave.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

+1. That, and depending on the shaver, using products that are better for your skin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai, Sara-s and dustmite like this.
  7. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I think the road to good technique involves so many subtle changes that you might not have even noticed yourself improving, as you already seemed to have mentioned. My skin hasn't changed at all since I started shaving with a DE razor and shaving is still an uncomfortable experience for me whether I use a cartridge, DE, or even an electric razor, but I'm not getting anywhere near the level of irritation that I got when I first switched to a DE.

When I shaved a few days ago, it was so effortless compared to when I first started that I thought over what I was doing differently. I couldn't get a close shave on my upper lip at all with the DE when I switched and I thought I'd always have to rely on a cartridge/disposable for the tough areas, but after making some very subtle changes to the blade angle and direction of attack, it's a piece of cake.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I strongly agree technique is the answer ;)

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My technique has definitely improved. I started out with a DE and was regularly nicking myself. I can now consistently get a two pass BBS with no injuries.
    I graduated to straight razors earlier this year and had to start all over. In the beginning, straight razor shaving was not pretty. I often looked like I had hugged a feral cat. With lots of practice, I am now getting very nice wound free straight razor shaves.
    I give most of the credit to the 30 Day Focus threads. The group encouraged me and gave me tips. I'm not sure I would have stayed with it without this group.

Keithmax, Demidog and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I call it soft hands.
    Try catching a raw egg.
    First few times, the yolk is probably on you, literally.
    But with a bit of practice, omelet anyone?
    After years of heavyhanded, scrapping your face trying to get the most out of expensive carts, we all had bad habits to overcome. If one pays attention, is patient, and perseveres. Technique improvement is inevitable.
    Short cuts are available. Advice of those who know. Minimalization of variables. Rememering what works. Are all good ways to get ahead of the curve. But perseverance is key.
    I could tell you how to play a guitar. But only practicing with a guitar will make a guitar player out of a person.(I'm no longer a gitfiddler strummer, just an illustration).
    So yes, I firmly believe that technique improves.

Keithmax, Bama Samurai and mrchick like this.
  11. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

While I agree that technique is the key factor, the "ceasing to cause injury" definitely has something to it. I am not constantly dragging a sharp blade over a previous cut or irritated area. These two factors seem to reinforce one another. When my technique was still poor, I still had some irritation, which was exacerbated with poor technique.

I will also mention the learning process of getting to now one's hardware and software to know what works best. Having gotten rid of certain blades especially has made a big difference.

Demidog, Bama Samurai and youngunn like this.
  12. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Technique improves. DE razors aren't more aggressive in general than carts. Some are mild and some are wild. Safety razors can give you a flawless shave, but it takes more technique and effort. That's why you were a bloody mess at first. Then you improved.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Demidog and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

I think you've articulated for me what I experienced after 9 months of seemingly useless practice and a particularly nasty bout of razor burn. Layed off shaving for a couple days. When I resumed I somehow knew what I was doing. It was the weirdest thing because (like yourself) I didn't feel like I was doing anything different. Yet, something apparently changed in my technique since I now understood exactly how much pressure to apply to my razor to get the results I wanted. I, too, find I'm less careful shaving now, but I carry the confidence of an experienced shaver now that didn't exist prior to the horrendous razor burn incident.

My theory from reading similar descriptions of this is there seems to be some sort of mystical shaving apprenticeship that occurs where one tends to "graduate" after approximately 9 months. Whatever it is I'm thankful it's occurred since I've experienced nothing but "smooth shaving" ever since.

battle.munky likes this.
  14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Illuminati.....

:D

SABOTEURw likes this.
  15. Poster

Poster Member

I'm just like you man. At the beginning after the shave, I looked like Joker from the Batman. After many try and errors, I discovered what is best for my face, learned the hair growth direction and which pressure to put, and so on. So yes it is all about pressure

crackstar, SABOTEURw and mrchick like this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Technique/preasure, however that said some razors still may not work well with your face and the technique you use. Although they will give me a close shave the R41, certain injectors and the MMOC still irritate and hurt my face.

17. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I shave 99.99% of the time DE shaving, If I use a cartridge razor I have to tell my hand to press on the razor. The same goes when you are used to Carts and switch to DE and only the weight of the DE razor is necessary. After time your hand will remember the technique you taught it.

18. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

I posted a thread about this a while back. It would seem that some people are really aggressive blood letters and some people never see any blood at all when they start DE shaving. I myself have been DE saving for 5 months and have yet to cut myself. But- I did study and watch video after video before I made the switch from cartridge to DE razors. YMMV :)

19. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Are you DE saving on the blade? Because if you don't put one in there that explains a lot! Hehehe:happy102::kngt:

20. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

:eatdrink013: