I really need help with shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by retherenn, Sep 3, 2016.

1. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

A lot of good advice already mentioned above.

Just start your journey to the traditional wet shaving. I really fell in love with DE and Straight Razor. A single blade is actually doing better than multi-blade.

2. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

Welcome my friend !!!!! Join the club of those of us that don't shave AGT. I take 2 passes WTG and then sometimes a 3rd pass XTG and get a DFS and even close to BBS shave. But remember to stretch the skin slightly while shaving. Get a good DE razor and find the blade that works best for you. Everyone is different. I use a Gillette Tech and New open comb with Feather blades for my best shaves. Good shave cream and after shave balm is just as inmportant. Also look at our cold water shaving threads. Makes a difference with skin irritation too.

Welcome to the forum :)

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD :).

4. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

You came to the right place bro. And trust me when it comes to irritation, we've all felt your pain. That's why we're all here. You've been given a lot of good advice so far. Def make a map of your beard growth and know where it changes. Let it grow out for 2 days and look in the mirror and notice which direction it grows on your neck. I used to always shave down from my cheeks all the way to my neck because I knew nothing about your beard growth changing directions (sounds stupid but it's the truth) my dad didn't teach me to shave either. Now I shave up on my neck because that's the direction it grows. I'm weird like that lol. Don't be afraid of getting irritation shaving your neck in a different direction scare you.

The Cremo Cream suggestion is a good one also. It'll give you enough slickness for a shave but remember to wet it with a little water if your razor starts tugging hair, wet your fingertips under the faucet and rub it into the cream on your face. A lot of time you get irritation, even though you may have a "decent" razor because the cream your using dries out too fast and isn't slick enough for the razor to glide on your skin, so it rips hair out instead of cutting it cleanly. Pay attention to these guys on here. They know their stuff. Hang in there bud, we'll help you work it out

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Bama Samurai and Paul Turner like this.
  5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

You've gotten a lot of excellent advice. Everyone here will help you along the way. I too have a very sensitive neck. I use a double edge traditional razor (Merkur 34c). I lather and shave three times using just a very slight pressure allowing the weight of the razor to do the work. Also you what to use an after shave balm. It really soothes the sensitive areas. "Nivea" is an excellent inexpensive after shave balm. You can find it in any grocery store or Walmart. Stick with it.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hope he got the info he needed. He hasn't been seen since his one and only post.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  7. matteob

matteob Active Member

I had exactly the same problem as you have on my neck. What you need i think is a very efficient yet gentle and forgiving DE razor. A cartridge razor is notorious for its pulling and tugging which can result in hair being cut under the skin and leading to ingrowns and rash.It is the main reason (apart from the expense) that I stopped using cartridge razors. I have tried a few DE razors (Edwin Jagger etc)and the best razor on my neck is the Parker 24c. I can get close with no irritation with just a with the grain pass. It has good weight to it as well so it's easier to just let the weight do the work. It looks scary being an open comb but it is as forgiving as they come yet still gives me barbershop smooth shaves.

Make sure you prep your skin: shave after a bath or shower or use a hot towel or flannel (forget what you guys in US call it: washcloth?) on the face and neck for five minutes. That will help too. A pre-shave oil( does not have to be expensive: olive oil does the job) might be a good idea but if you get a decent shaving brush and soap you should not need it. It is very easy to make a thick, creamy lather with a brush. Buy a 24C with a cheap but decent shaving brush (Razorock Plissoft $9.99) a blade sample pack and some good shave soap or cream and you will not go far wrong. Both the 24c and Plissoft are available in Europe.

Just my twopenny worth :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Matt0210 and Pilotcld like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Bump

Pilotcld likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs046:Though I'm late to this thread, I figure I'll at least add my welcome and share some things. Like everyone else I think going with Van Der Hagen is a great idea. Most drug and big box stores carry it. As far as blades, Bed Bath & Beyond carries Wilkinson Sword Classics(at least by me). Good luck in your journey.