Pasted paddle strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by twhite, Sep 28, 2016.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I am just learning honing. Currently I am using lapping film down to 1 micron. I have a home made strop with chromium oxide. I was not happy with that. So I made up a few aluminum plates that i milled flat, lapped them on a surface plate. They are really flat. Last night I glued on some leather to them snd let them dry. This afternoon i used 320 paper on my surface plate and sanded the leather flat. Well mostly flat. As my 1 piece of 320 gave up the ghost. There is 1 low spot still that I will fix. Once I get more paper tomorrow. I figure that the strop should be as flat as possible.

Now the question. I bought some CrO and some iron oxide powder. What binder do you suggest? I have neatsfoot oil, or is there a better choice? The leather I am using is from Tandy Leather. It is belly leather.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Tom
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

3. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

The CrOx I have was already mixed when I got it. I believe that most are mixed with mineral oil. I may be wrong. I sure someone here can clarify.

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Go to Walmart

Buy their very cheap very plain "Equate" skin care lotion

Only mix a very small amount as if you make extra it will dry out before you use it again :)

I see you have already sanded the leather to accept the paste :signs107:

Apply and then rub it down with an old cotton washcloth and you are good to go

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thank you very much.

How long should I let it dry before using?

Karl G, Billyfergie and gssixgun like this.
  6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I let it dry overnight then rub it down the next day with the cloth :D

Karl G, Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

As you have noticed, leather is rarely completely flat. Belly leather is the stretchiest part of the hide. Sanding off the top grain will give you a nice uniform surface to work with. I wouldn't push too hard for dead flat, as leather also has some give in its structure.

8. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks for the tip. It took 1 hour to deck flat with 320. I then gave it a light decking with 600. One more to sand. Then i will paste them with CrOx and the other with FeO.

9. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

"It puts the lotion on the strop."

10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great movie.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  11. DaltonGang

Any updated pics?

Karl G likes this.
  12. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    I just finished my shave with the Boker. Earlier today went back to 5 micron then 3&1. Then to my new boards. I had 3 full days growth. Took my first stroke on my cheek. Nice and smooth. No tugging or pulling. Finished a real nice CCS ON 2 passes. Now I am ready to go see Dolly Parton tonight with my wife and kids. Should be a great night.

Tom

13. DaltonGang

Very very nice work.

Karl G likes this.
  14. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Question for the more knowledgeable folks: Would there be any concern about residual grit from the sanding process?

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  15. DaltonGang

Just out of curiosity, what are the pros and cons to using a paddle strop vs a hanging strop?

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

For me, I also hone my wedge blades for my SE razors. I prefer the paddle strop for those blades. So I feel more comfortable using a paddle strop for the pastes. I use a regular strop for just leather spropping.

17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Guess its All Personal..I Use a Paddle Strop for Pastes...I Feel I have More Control & Sensitivity just like on the Hone..Its So Easy to Overdo Pastes in My Books..I Find..Less is More..:)

Billy..:chores016:

18. DaltonGang

Ahhh, SE wedges. Makes sense.

How do you know when it's too much with the paste?

19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Too Much Paste is Like Too Much Gun..You will End Up with Too Crisp an Edge that Can be Very Unforgiving & Not Smooth..I Only Do 1 Set of 10 Usually Coming Off the Hone or a Refresh..Maybe 2 or 3 More if its Swedish Steel..Very Lightly..Its all Down to Taste of Course..For Me..Less is More..:D

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Karl G, Robyflexx and twhite like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Very good, thanks Billy.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.