CLUBMAN Lilac Vegital

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Single Wedge, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Has anyone used this and what is the smell like?

I get the lilac part, but what else is going on here?

If some one has or is using this can they write a review?

2. -PO-

-PO- New Member

I saw it in the store this last weekend when I was buying some Clubman Bay Rum, the bottle was sealed so I could not get a whiff of it and was not sure if it was worth the purchase so I passed it up.

3. jnich67

jnich67 Member

I had a bottle of it once...I threw it away. At first I liked it, but after a while, I got sick of it. Its dreadful...spend your money on something else. Just my opinion.

Jordan

4. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

CLUBMAN Lilac Vegital is the worst aftershave lotion I’ve ever used. I’m doing my best not to use the cliché “cat pee” to describe it. Revolting stuff!

5. -PO-

-PO- New Member

Man am I glad I decided not to buy it :D

6. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I used some a few days ago. It quite literally smelled like cat urine. My wife disagreed: "No, it's not cat urine, but it's not good."

7. diamud

diamud New Member

Bought it, tossed it. Sickly sweet rotting swamp matter. No idea why this stuff is popular. :sick007

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I can't say it any more graphically than it's been said. :happy097

However, I actually RETURNED mine. Open the seal, took a whiff and took it back. OMG, it was awful!!!!!!!!!!!

9. paydepst

paydepst Member

I've actually read posts where the term "horse pi**" was used. So I guess unless you really want to make a social statement it is best to avoid this one.

10. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

This stuff is horrid. I bought it along with Pinaud Clubman, which I like. The lilac vegital was just awful, couldn't imagine someone actually applying it to their body. Like others, tossed it right into the trash.

Steve

11. Monkey

Monkey New Member

I got by with just buying a decant of this. Smelled it and gagged, but thought "maybe it will smell differently ON me."

Ended up back in the shower.

The decant is now in a landfill. I'm sure it's the worst smelling thing there

12. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

LOL. I had a decant of Penhaligan's Blenheim Bouquet, which I applied after a shower. I asked my wife what she thought, to which she exclaimed; "Your going to have to take another shower." I have to say I agreed with her. Although after a couple hours it did start to smell a bit better LOL.

Steve

13. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

In the bottle it smells like toilet bowl cleaner. Once applied to the skin it takes on the aforementioned cat pee odor. Lilac Vegetal was 1st introduced to the Hungarian Cavalry back in the 1800's to hide the smell of horse sweat and trail dust. So unless you like cat or horse excretions I would avoid this stuff.

14. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Sounds pretty awful. I wonder if the "vegetal" part means it's rotten vegetables?:rofl

15. tim613

tim613 New Member

Nice, but only when fresh

I have used Lilac Vegetal since the 70s. When fresh, it has a subtle lilac fragrance, that is not overpowering, and does not last more than a few hours.
    I often use it after a second shower or when I don't want a strong fragrance.

I have, however, experienced "cat pee" variety, which comes from decomposition of the fragrance. All fragrances change over time, but the Lilac Vegetal becomes particurly vile.

If you want to try this, buy from someone mailorder who turns the stock over. You don't know how long the bottle has been on the drug store shelf.

Bestgroomingtools.com has fresh stock.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, tim613! :)

How are we to know who does and who doesn't turn over their stock?

How long is it good for? Most of the guys don't go through aftershave very fast, I'd think, because they have so many generally.

17. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Welcome!
    How do you know their stock is fresh? I wouldn't know the mail order as compared to an actual store shelf.

18. jtmo3

jtmo3 New Member

I think the answer to why some people used to like it and most today don't, might liie in the last paragraph of this piece I found in the FYI of the New York Times.

The Scent of Memory

Q. After a haircut and a shave, my barber splashes my face with a pale green liquid called Lilac Vegetal that, though soothing, has a musty floral scent that reminds me of my grandfather. Why do I still see it in so many New York barbershops?

A. Tradition? The Edouard Pinaud Company, a Parisian fragrance manufacturer, began producing Lilac Vegetal in New York City in 1878, according to David Woolf, executive vice president of American International Industries, which makes the fragrance now. In 1927, Pinaud even built a seven-story showroom and laboratory on East 21st Street. About 10 years ago American International acquired the Clubman line of male grooming products, which included Lilac Vegetal.

And oh, that . . . distinctive fragrance! ''When a man splashes on Lilac Vegetal, it brings back memories,'' Mr. Woolf said. ''The barbershop. That first haircut. Your father, or your grandfather. The older you are, the more you've smelled it.''

The cologne, which has always been sold to barbershops and athletic clubs, ''was made from natural ingredients including lilac and ambergris until they became difficult to find or harvest, in the 1960's,'' Mr. Woolf said. Lilac Vegetal is now produced from artificial ingredients in Los Angeles, and is not advertised. It is found, however, in drugstores throughout the city and is perhaps the most inexpensive men's cologne on the market. This might help explain why your barber still uses it.

John

19. sehrgut

sehrgut New Member

I'm one of the apparent few who have gotten beyond the "cat pee" stage. Yes, it smells vile for upwards of five minutes, but after that -- on my skin, anyway -- it dries down to a very nice, light fragrance. Bottom line: you should try it for two reasons. First, to say you've tried it. Second, because it may actually work for you. Just give it at least five minutes before putting it on.

By the way: this actually happened.

Me: *puts on Lilac Vegetal in presence of female who's helping decide on colognes, etc.*
    She: Ick! That's horrible!
    Me: Give it a minute:
    She: *gives it a minute* Ick! That's horrible! Go wash it off and try something else!
    Me: *goes to the bathroom* *stalls* *doesn't wash it off* *comes back a couple minutes later*
    She: Okay, what's that one? I like it.

20. Masonjarjar

Masonjarjar Active Member

I picked the greenest one on the shelf. I used it today, mixed with a little Dickenson's Witch Hazel. Nice and light. Added a few shakes of Pinaud Talc, and I was good to go. Didn't smell weird or icky at all. I guess a major case of YMMV here.