OCtober 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2016.

?

It's OCtober. Any plans for Halloween?

1. Going to sit home and hand out candy to the kiddies.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Going to lock the door, turn off the lights and ignore the kiddies.

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Building a haunted house for the kiddies, but just fun, not terribly scary.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Building a haunted house for the kiddies designed to scar their psyches for life.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Building a haunted house for the Cartel members - complete with vodka.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Attending a party on our own.....who cares about the kiddies and Cartel?

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. It's Oreo month you idiot! Why haven't you mentioned cookies?

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Mmmmmmmm.........Oreos.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4230.JPG

October 10 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Cool SS
    1941 Gillette Ranger Tech
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    B&M Artique AS

Shave number 2 with this razor, and the results were almost a repeat of shave 1. Two passes, DFS. This razor and the Rocket are both just outstanding razors.

I used a new AS today with B&M's Artique. The scent is very nice, although it reminds me a little of toothpaste or mouthwash. I like it, but I almost want to gargle it. The cold, however is unique in my opinion. I have a couple of heavily Mentholated AS such as Osage Rub and a Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill, and I was expecting this one to be similar. With both the Rub and Glacial Lemon Chill, the menthol almost stings at first. It is like a light slap on the face. I didn't get that from this one, and at first I was disappointed. It didn't seem that cold. However, the cold kept building, and after a few minutes my eyes were watering and nose running. I am now about an hour past when I put it on, and I still feel the chill. It is definitely cold, and I definitely like it.

Combining this great razor with a very pleasant surprise of a AS makes this a great start to my day. I hope everyone has a great day!

Keithmax, mrchick, NCoxSTL and 9 others like this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much.

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Monday, OCtober 10, 2016

Bob Quinn Elite Razor Malachite TGN Finest
    Panna Crema Nuavia Verde
    Wolfman WR1 OC+ with Darwin Deluxe Titanium
    Personna 74 #9
    Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Keithmax, mrchick, NCoxSTL and 10 others like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beautiful picture with another amazing brush. :happy096:

Drygulch, Marverel, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  5. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Oct. 10
    Soap - Proraso Green Tub
    Brush - Omega 10098 Boar
    Ceramic Suribachi Bowl
    Blade - Blade - Gillette Silver Blue - Russia
    Razor - 1937 Gillette Sheraton
    Aftershave - Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir

Having 5 days of post hurricane stubble, I decided to refresh the blade. I lathered up a big bowl of foam & mowed down all of the stubble on the first wtg pass. I then cleaned up with a second xtg pass for a nice DFS. Splashed on the aftershave and finished up with a few sprays of Terre d'Herme. I got the nod of approval from my wife on this great scent.

6. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

October 9 & 10

Razor: Schick Adjustable injector (set on 5 then 7)
    Blade: Chinese Schick
    Brush: Maggard 24mm
    Soap: Stirling MITA, Stirling Orange Chill

I have used the Schick adjustable a couple more times. I let my beard grow to get a sense of how well it would perform with a decent growth. My beard is coarse and thick. It also grows very fast so letting it grow a couple days can really tax a razor and blade. Well, the Schick did a great job! I left it on 5 just to compare with my last shave. It was excellent. Had no problem mowing through the coarse hair. Had more feedback this time because of the amount of hair. Another excellent shave. Ended BBS with no irritation. I think the extra beard growth would have been a great time to try a twin blade, and once I find a decently priced Schick adjustable (and convince SWMBO I really need one), my next purchase will be some twin blades so I can do just that!

Next up was moving the setting on up. I moved to 7 next just to get a sense of the jump. It is definitely a bit more aggressive than it was on 5. Again a very nice, smooth BBS shave. I do have to say the Schick on 7 could be felt more than the Schick on 5. It is to be expected given its more aggressive setting. I ended with very minor irritation. I think 7 would only be used by me for when I have a decent growth of beard and really need to take a whack at it, especially on my WTG/XTG first pass. Otherwise, I was happier on 5. Next shave will be the compromise of 6 on the dial.

(For some reason my phone refuses to allow a picture to be uploaded. It acts like it is uploading but then just stops. If I can get one to upload I will update the post.)

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great brush!

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Killer photo Mark!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD OCtober 10th
    [​IMG]

Ericsson Open Comb
    Super-Max platinum
    Stirling 24mm synthetic
    Blades Grim Smolder

Good morning friends! This morning I shaved of a good 4 days of stubble. My wraps of choice today were the Ericsson and Super-Max platinum. This was my first time trying the Super-Max and despite it being a very inexpensive it did a pretty good job. I did notice a tiny bit of tugging on my chin area but that may have been due to 4 days of growth to more down as well, we will see how it performs on my normal 2 days of growth before passing judgement. Other then the slight tugging on my chin the blade was very smooth and after 3 passes it left me smooth and feeling great! Have a great day my friends!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, RyX, wmbjr and 9 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Mark. How did the "Whisker Eraser" work for you?

11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

It worked great. Once dialed in, it's an outstanding shaver. My Numero Uno! ;)

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I believe it. Up until last Friday it was 3rd in my DE ranking. Now that I have it dialed in the Wolfman + has rapidly moved to number 1 in DE razors. In fact it might be battling the Cobra for overall supremacy. That could be an idea for a November Focus

13. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Menthol Monday Shave
    [​IMG]
    Brush- RazoRock Tri-color
    Razor- PAL Adjustable
    Blade- Chick
    Soap- Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
    Post Care- Crystal Alum
    Thayers Witch Hazel
    Osage Rub
    Old Spice Lime

Wonderfully cold shave this morning. I love this scent and the performance is top notch. Three passes and I'm dolphin smooth. Zero burn from the alum. Finished up with the Osage followed by my vintage Old Spice lime. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

Keithmax, RyX, clint64 and 10 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Sign you're getting old - true story. This happened to me when I was in my late 20's, so about 30 years ago. I was asked by a younger guy if it was true that Paul McCartney had a band before Wings. I went out and bought a bottle of Geritol.

Drygulch, Keithmax, RyX and 5 others like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

This thread is so un-hijackable that we're banned in Cuba.

Drygulch, RyX, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Two injury free pain stick shaves.....outstanding. The Pro is definitely sharper and without the extra wires on it it's easier to slide sideways....which is never recommended with these razors. Looks like you're approaching "pro shaver" level quickly with this! Well done!

Drygulch, Marverel, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I had some extra time this morning so I did a slow three pass shave. This was one of my best straight shaves yet.
    Just took my wife to the doctor. She pulled a hamstring this weekend and can't bear any weight on the one leg. It's going to be a slow recovery.
    SOTD
    Route 66 Casablanca Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Giesen and Forsthoff Adoration Razor
    Alum
    Thayers WH
    Fine American Blend AS
    Have a great week![​IMG]

Drygulch, Keithmax, Marverel and 10 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Them crazy kids don't have a clue. Pass the Geritol!

I just couldn't pass up posting this one for you, Neal.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I pray that your Bride recovers quickly!

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  20. Heisenberg 93

Heisenberg 93 Member

m9.jpg

Mongoose/Feather Pro (2)
    Stirling 24mm Finest 2 Band
    Glacial MITA
    Thayers
    B&M Arctique

Hello my friends. Long time no see. Can't get into my old account but I am back. Hopefully in my absence Neal has used a Tiger blade..

Drygulch, wmbjr, Keithmax and 11 others like this.