OCtober 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2016.

?

It's OCtober. Any plans for Halloween?

1. Going to sit home and hand out candy to the kiddies.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Going to lock the door, turn off the lights and ignore the kiddies.

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Building a haunted house for the kiddies, but just fun, not terribly scary.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Building a haunted house for the kiddies designed to scar their psyches for life.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Building a haunted house for the Cartel members - complete with vodka.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Attending a party on our own.....who cares about the kiddies and Cartel?

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. It's Oreo month you idiot! Why haven't you mentioned cookies?

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Mmmmmmmm.........Oreos.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hello Martin. Congrats again on the great shave with the Pain Stick!

I can get seven nice shaves out of a Feather Pro or Super Pro blade in my Mongoose. I recall changing blades more frequently, maybe every four days or so, in my Feather AC. Fearing for my life, I intently focused on solid technique with the Pain Stick, and I wanted to rule out blade edge degradation as a variable.

Have a great evening!

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

October 11, 2016
    Wolfman WR-01 OC + Ti with Triad Ti
    7 O’clock Blue (2)
    Rudy Vey Rover with TGN Finest
    Reef Point Dragon’s Blood
    Witch Hazel

[​IMG]

I am truly impressed with the Reef Point soap. It is a brand that is not discussed much on the forums but I have found it be very good soap. The soap is very easy to lather and exceptionally slick. While, the three pass shave today ended in my normal near BBS , it required more work than usual. The 7 O'clock blade is just not as sharp as my normal Feather. Maybe the results would be better if I had paired the blade with a heavier razor. Overall, it was still a very good, smooth and irritation free shave. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, wmbjr and 10 others like this.
  3. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Yup - I totally agree with you here. I only have a few Reef Point samples, but I will definitely buy some tubs soon. Top notch performance, some fascinating scents - and impeccable customer service.

4. Marverel

Thank you Charlie :happy088: Actually I am thinking about taking it to the next level - so I might use a Professional Super blade for my next shave. What's the worst that could happen? :rolleyes:

5. Marverel

Thank you, Douglas :) I enjoyed your latest fall themed pictures as well.

6. Marverel

I use my synthetic brushes in a totally different way than my natural hair ones (keep in mind that I almost exclusively face lather). Badger and boar get a good soak and then I just swirl the wet brush on the soap to load it. The amount of water in the brush is almost always sufficcient for the shave.

With synthetics I drip a small amount of water onto the soap (approximately 1 or 2 teaspoons) and then use the completely dry brush to load it. This results in a dryer "proto-lather", but then I just dip the brushes tips into the water in my sink a few times while face lathering until I get the desired lather texture.

7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

October 11. 2016- OC Focus

Razor: Thick Cap Ball-End OT
    Blade: GSB(2)
    Brush: VdH Boar
    Soap: VdH Luxury

I've been shaving with cold water for a few months and, this morning, was definitely reminded that Fall is here and the weather is getting colder.

One change from yesterday's shave, the soap. I've noticed a lot of comments lately about the VdH Luxury soap, so I finally decided to pick up a puck this weekend. This is my first time with this soap, though I started wet shaving with the VdH Deluxe. I managed to get what I think was a decent lather but it's probably going to take a few shaves to get it dialed in.

The blade/razor combo was much more pleasant than yesterday. I'm not sure if it's because of the different soap, the blade coming into its own, or just the fact that there were less whiskers to shave. In any case, a definite DFS.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, wmbjr and 10 others like this.
  8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I also face lather. I'll give that a try when I use the synthetic brush again. Thanks for the tip!

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I would agree with your thinking that the AC razors may deliver the closest shaves of any. I've heard that opinion shared among a couple of others who shall remain nameless to protect their image. (as if that's a problem here). I have always gotten at least 7 shaves out of the Feather blades. And the Kai blades as well. I think the most I took one was 9 shaves. Honestly I think the first shave or two are the worst with the Feather Pros....not in results but in feel. They seem to tame down just a bit on day three or so and then stay sharp and effective for another 5 to 7 days.

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I just felt a cold wind on my neck with the invocation of those words. We haven't seen them here for awhile. I'll sprinkle the Veg around to ward off evil spirits.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, wmbjr and 5 others like this.
  11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Simpson Chubby 3 Manchurian

Panna Crema Nuavia Verde

Timeless OC with UFO TiTAN Fine L

Personna 74 #10

Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool

[​IMG]

Drygulch, RyX, wmbjr and 9 others like this.
  12. Marverel

Oh boy - you really don't fool around. Some first class shaving gear you've shown lately. Oh and - cool pictures :happy088:

13. Marverel

That might actually be a good idea :shocked003:

14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm enjoying OCtober. It's encouraging me to pull out some of my toys that I haven't played with for a while. I forgot just how nice a shave I get with an Old Type OC and a nice blade like the GSB. I am smoooooth today
    [​IMG]

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, RyX and 9 others like this.
  15. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Oct. 11
    Soap - Proraso Green Tub
    Brush - Omega 10098 Boar
    Ceramic Suribachi Bowl
    Blade - Blade - Gillette Silver Blue - Russia
    Razor - 1937 Gillette Sheraton
    Aftershave - Ginger's Garden Suede

I'm getting more familiar with this razor blade combo as it is taking less time to get in two quality passes. First pass was N to S and second E to W. I'm starting to think that my whiskers grow straight out and there is very little WTG or ATG with my facial hair. I really cannot tell much difference in the direction that I shave.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, RyX and 8 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's been a fun 10 days so far seeing all the great gear that is out there this month. I think we sometimes get so focused on the latest thing or just tied down by routine that we forget about the fun stuff that is waiting for us. Same thing in SEptember. I'm thinking of other ways to incorporate some different gear into each month that would keep it rotating a bit more. There's too much cool stuff out there not to keep showing it off! AND enjoying the way it performs. After all of the rituals and methods we sometimes employ we forget how simple shaving really can be. And IS!

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, wmbjr and 6 others like this.
  17. Heisenberg 93

Heisenberg 93 Member

20160726_141444-01.jpeg

CJB/Feather Pro(1)
    Stirling 24mm Finest 2 Band
    Stirling Gentleman
    Alum
    Thayers
    Stirling Gentleman Aftershave

Broke out the pain stick for the first time in over a month. Expecting the worst I was really surprised at the great shave I got. BBS in 2.5 passes with no nicks or cuts.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, RyX and 7 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

:signs011: :happy088:

19. wristwatchb

October 11

Gillette New LC
    Feather blade (1)
    Kent BK4 brush
    Tabac shave stick
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and Fine Platinum aftershave

I read the first few chapters of 1st Samuel and a chapter in Luke this morning. Reading about the completely perfect leadership of Jesus (demonstrated by His perfect love) and the strong, Godly leadership of Samuel was the right way for me to start this day.

I enjoyed another great, two-pass shave today followed by a two-mile walk in view of the beach on the NW coast of Florida. We've enjoyed some perfect weather here the past few days, despite the effects of Hurricane Matthew along the east coast. I plan to enjoy the afternoon with my Bride and work in some guitar practice.

In case you all don't know, my Bride and I both plan to retire (me in December and my Bride in February). I've worked for a great company for 32 years, and my Bride has worked for a local utility company for 39 years. We've both been incredibly blessed with the opportunities we've been afforded, and we've made many lifelong friends through our work. Time moves quickly, and we're both getting emotionally prepared for the next chapter of our lives. We hope to get plugged in to some meaningful things that will allow us to spend more time together and helping others.

OK, back to shaving. I'm considering a Pain Stick focus, with an occasional break to include my straight razor, for November. In the meantime, I'll stay with my current set up. A big thanks to everyone who shared their input earlier this week on face prep. It's always helpful to learn what others do. I often tweak my routine based on what I read here and get even better shaves.

Life is very good, and I hope everyone has a terrific day.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, RyX and 7 others like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Boy, that's a letdown after all that time. No blood, no pain, nothing. :prrr:
    Oh well. I suppose that makes us even for me not using a Tiger.

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, wmbjr and 5 others like this.