Family Heirloom Straight Razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Jun 2, 2016.

1. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Sub'ed for results!

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Jim, the best that I could find was the name continued in use by the company who bought out Henry Sears & Son in the late 1800s and continued to do so until the 1950s, particularly for the name recognition for shears and pocket knives.

I placed this particular well-worn straight in the late 1800s per the age of the original owner, who passed in the late 1920s.

It's in the restoration queue so I'll post pics of the process and hopefully, successful result!

3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks for the history lesson, what a neat project. I look forward to seeing the transformation.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Well, three months later I finally got around to finishing up this old Henry Sears & Son. I opted to keep it all original— warts and all.
    Once I got the edge aligned, the blade took a very keen, smooth edge of the Ardennes coticule. This razor's first shave in probably 120 years!
    Smooth! I'll be sharing with the owner this coming weekend. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    JBSharp, barbersurgeon, Turk and 9 others like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

What a transformation Kevin! Beautiful and rugged at the same time!

Billyfergie, HolyRollah and twhite like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You did a great job on it! Nice work Kevin!

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That razor looks great! I'm glad you left it original. It has lots of character.

Billyfergie, HolyRollah and twhite like this.
  8. countryheathen

countryheathen Well-Known Member

That's beautiful work. Let us know what the owner says.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

9. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Not only is the restoration work phenominal, but I gotta say, Kevin, you take some of the best beauty shots of the razors that cross your threshold!:happy088:

HolyRollah, mrchick and twhite like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, all, for the kind words.
    Normally this is the type of razor I'd pass on for restoration work (blade in 'iffy' shape; horn scales in sad shape). The fact that this old razor has sentimental value or at least some connection point to a family relative in Dick's past, compelled me to at least give it a good try. Surprisingly the scales held up to some refinishing (some areas were splintering) and gluing, and actually looked pretty cool...sort of like polished petrified wood.
    The blade I took to a dmt 300 in order to reduce the heel and even up the irregular edge. The toe wear is 'what it is' and made honing an even bevel edge more challenging than it ought to be. The good news is the steel was still solid and one I popped a decent bevel from the 1k, refining the edge went without issue. The coticule edge was very smooth and got to a decent Hht4 range, post-stropping ...

11. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Nicely done, shadow box with an old pictures of Dicks grandfather if possible would be epic.:signs107:

Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  12. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

Amazing work of art! You are a genius!

Kizurra likes this.
  13. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Beautification at its best!

14. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

Woooooow!!!!!! What an amazing transformation!! That is one beautiful razor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk