Alternative to Taylor's

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by The Wizard, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I was referring to Churchill, not me. Just thought I'd be FACEtious.

2. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

Yes, I know, which is exactly my point: It's quite a feat for a man who died in 1955 to have tried a shaving cream scent that was introduced in 1998. But perhaps I'm overthinking it.

3. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a cream, I'd definitely recommend Truefitt & Hill. They have different 'flavors', but my favorite is 1805 as others has mentioned. I've been using ToBS for about 10 years and just finished my first T&H tub and loved both the scent and performance.

One thing to keep in mind too is that the T&H tub will give you 190ml versus 150ml for ToBS. So, while the tub itself is a little more expensive, T&H is actually a bit cheaper on a $-per-ounce basis. I've mostly switched over to soaps, but as far as creams go T&H is the best I've used and I love the english scent.

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I would also recommend LaToja out of Spain. Very, very nice cream, with a scent (imho) everyone would like. Price is great, even here in the U.S.:). LaToja also makes an awesome shave stick.

5. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

That would be nice if it were true, but the numbers don't bear that out. Standard US retail on a 190g tub of T&H cream is $30, or $0.15 per gram. Standard retail for a 150g tub of TOBS is $14, or $0.093 per gram. In other words, T&H is over 60% more expensive than TOBS per unit.

To put that in perspective, a 190g tub at the TOBS unit price would be $17.67. A 150g tub at the T&H unit price would be $22.50.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016