Cleaning Shave Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Douglas Carey, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Not sure about the second method.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    bsohne and wristwatchb like this.
  2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I use hair shampoo and conditioner about once a month or so. Works well on my hair, so, why wouldn't it work on badger, boar, or synthetic "hair." No harsh chemicals; gets rid of any animal funk in natural knots. The shampoo removes oils, debris, and soap scum. The condition removes shampoo and conditions the knot hair. Seems to clean my brushes well and it's easy to do when I'm in the shower. I pretty use the same procedure as the first video; workout the shampoo and condition from the base of the knot to the tips, rinse well under the shower and shake out the excess (the shower keeps the shake spray contained). Fluff on my towel after I dry off and put the brush back in the stand. Takes 5 mins and I'm clean, too.

FWIW, if you don't want to use human shampoo, then you might try pet shampoo. Not much different really, but pet shampoo has conditioners that are pet hair friendly. Just think of your brush as your new pet badger. :)

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I use almost the same method as you. Thanks.
    :happy088: I don't clean my brushes in the shower as most of my brushes have wood handles.

wristwatchb and Demidog like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011:

I use the same method to clean my brushes. I'll use the same brush for a few weeks (boring, I know) and then clean it this way at the sink before putting it on the shelf.

Doug, thanks for posting the videos.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy088:

7. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

Hi Doug, I have used both methods that the guy talks about in the first video: on a daily basis, I submerge the brush in water using the same ramekin that I use to pre-soak it before the shave. Instead of a vertical motion, I usually use a lathering motion, but the idea is the same. I have started doing this every day and it has made a huge difference in keeping my brushes from collecting soap scum.

Even shampoos have sometimes failed to clean out my boar hairs completely, so I have used the vinegar idea before as well. I don't use 50/50, I probably use 1 part vinegar to 5 parts water. But it does work: you can see a soap-scum film floating on the top of the solution in just a few minutes. I have not witnessed any damage to the brush by using 1:5 vinegar solution; but of course you want to keep the acid away from your razors.

FWIW.

[Edit: You probably want to avoid the vinegar method if you brush has any metal on it at all. You can clean some kinds of solid metals with vinegar and salt, but this same solution will remove the plating if you try it on plated metals, like razors. Without being able to remember much from my chemistry class 24 years ago, I would recommend you just don't take a chance with vinegar if your brush has any metal at all.]

Primotenore and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I rub the tips of my brush on a soap, then use it to make an heavy lather. Afterwards, I rinse the brush, and shake the water out. Then the brush gets hung up to dry. Am I odd in that it has never crossed my mind to actually clean a shave brush?

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

What ever works for you. :happy088:

Demidog and Drygulch like this.
  10. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I have a real question that I'm unable to get a straight answer if you can help me is

1. How often to you clean a badger brush how many days, months or year.
    2. How often to you clean a boar brush how many days, months or year.
    3. How often to you clean a synthetic brush how many days, months or year.

Does each different brush has a different cleaning method if so can you please explain or provide a youtube clip if possible

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's what I do too-seems to me that's all that is needed.

Demidog and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I don't have a set schedule. I just clean when I realize I haven't cleaned my brush for a few months. Then I usually clean a few at that time. I use the same method for all.

13. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011:

dangermouse and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I didn't think it would need conditioning, too

15. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I works out to about once a month for me for any of those types. When the tips of the brush knot start to cling together after you shake and brush on a towel then it's probably time. This is more noticeable on my synthetic and boar brushes. At least to me. All of the methods will work and I would do the deep cleaning a couple of times a year on a brush the is very frequently used. Just my $0.02.

SpeedyPC likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't clean my brushes. I just rinse them very well with hot water after each shave.

Primotenore, bsohne and dangermouse like this.
  17. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Agree with the above. Try to rotate my brushes daily. Rinse well with warm(110f) water, soak in warm water <1min, shake, dry on towel, air dry.
    When I feel that I need to clean a brush( dropped on the floor or elsewhere ) use Dawn dish soap liquid. If you can use it on live birds and otters, should be safe for a brush!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

champagneinhand likes this.
  18. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I use soap on my brush every time I use it. So, it always smells clean. After use, it gets well washed under a hot running water. Wipe it on a towel and your done. Washing your brush. What are you on about? ;)

swarden43 likes this.
  19. swarden43

I'm with ya.
    The only brushes I make a point of cleaning are vintage brushes. Even then, after that initial cleaning, that's it.

dangermouse likes this.
  20. swarden43

If not on the floor, where on earth could "elsewhere" be?
    Yes, I shave in the bathroom, but my brushes come no where near the toilet.