Bad Straight Razors?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jimjo1031, Oct 17, 2016.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, after I get one and ready to use, I will have it honed professionally. Growing up I have used sharpening stones for my knives, but this time, I'll leave it to someone else for the straights.

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and Karl G like this.
  2. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Not saying this to just be contradictory, but I started with a shavette type disposable blade razor and found it to be instrumental in learning how to use a straight. The disposable blade razors are considerably lighter weight and feel different in that respect, but the angle you hold it at to shave is the same, the way you grip it is the same, the techniques needed to get hard to reach areas are the same, and they are a little more maneuverable. They also completely eliminate the question of whether you've honed or stropped it properly. That way you can get used to how the shave works without wondering is it the razor or how I'm using it? Considering how much cheaper they are, I always recommend them for people who aren't sure they want to invest in straight shaving yet, but want to see something of what it's like.

I will say that, since graduating to real straights, I haven't gone back to the disposables. There is more work involved in the real blades, but it is good work, ritual really, and it enriches the experience rather than detract from it.

twhite, mrchick, Karl G and 1 other person like this.
  3. jimjo1031

If this will help anyone, I have a list of American and Foreign straight razor manufacturers from through out the years in my Dropbox account. It's listed in My Dropbox thread, among other razor related stuff. Maybe it'll help someone ID a razor and date it........... https://www.dropbox.com/s/dy08tprypjseofk/Straight Razor ID.odt?dl=0

Karl G likes this.
  4. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

That wouldn't be Lewisburg, would it? My wife and I travel Route 15 back and forth from Florida to Rochester, New York. We were on the hunt for antique shops and Lewisburg seemed like a gold mine except it was the middle of the week and most shops were only open on the weekend. There was one shop that was open but they wouldn't allow pets and we had our dog with us. SWMBO went in first and when it was my turn she pressured me to be quick. I spied a couple of straights that appeared to be in excellent shape. The scales were clean, the pins and tang without rust or corrosion. I could kick myself in the hind end for letting Her Majesty hold all the cash. It was a consignment shop and they wouldn't take plastic. $18 for both. MAN I wish I had a twenty spot in my pocket at the time. C'est la vie...
    Happy Hunting,
    Don

twhite, Jim99, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  5. jimjo1031

I think it's near Lancester

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

New Hope PA. It's eastern PA and right on the Delaware River. Tons of antique shops. Jus my across the bridge is Lambertville NJ and tons of antique shops there too. Quaint old towns indeed!

Karl G and Robyflexx like this.
  7. jimjo1031

Forgot to mention, I'm originally from Rochester. Moved here to NC about 2 1/2 years ago.

Karl G likes this.
  8. Dzia Dzia

Where in North Carolina? We're considering a move somewhere between Asheville, Statesville, and Winston-Mount Airy. Founded Genco straight for $5 during the Labor Day weekend world's largest flea market along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

Jim99, Karl G and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. Dzia Dzia

Susquehanna River looks like a good place for wild finds.

Karl G likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Morganton NC

Karl G likes this.
  11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice write up Glen

Karl G and gssixgun like this.