Can I use in eau de toilette instead of aftershave ?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by idan, Oct 1, 2016.

1. idan

idan Active Member

hello :)
    I have a few question
    1. Can I use in eau de toilette instead of aftershave ???
    2. If I use only in eau de toilette after the shaving have a problem with that ??? Does it give me enough disinfection ??
    3. Where there is more percentage of alcohol in aftershave or in Eau de toilette?

Thank you very much !

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

As far as I know, Eau de Toilette has a higher percentage of perfume oil or fragrance than after shaves. Whereas after shaves have a higher percentage of alcohol making it better to use after shaving especially as disinfectant and skin toner. Personally I wouldn't use Eau de Toilette directly after shaving.

Demidog and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It depends on the aftershave and the EdT in question.

Strictly speaking, an alcohol based aftershave isn't necessary. I often use witch hazel by itself after a shave, and most witch hazels either contain 14% alcohol or are alcohol free.

Aftershaves contain more alcohol than colognes, and colognes contain more alcohol than Eau de Toilettes, which in turn contain more alcohol than an Eau de Parfum.

An Eau de Parfum is still going to be almost 80% alcohol, compared to the 97-98% alcohol found in an aftershave.

I've used EdT as an aftershave on rare occasions. There's no real reason why one can't...but doing so can become expensive. And because EdT is more concentrated, you can end up with the "AXE effect," a fog of fragrance so strong it repels everyone.

Taipan, David W650, Dzia Dzia and 7 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It all depends on the product. Some are stronger than other. I don't like an overpowering scent.

David W650 and Spyder like this.
  5. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I shave in the evening so I often don't want a strong smelling aftershave, as I'm just in the house. I usually use Lucky Tiger, which has a lovely, mild citrus scent or Nivea aftershave balm. Both are great skin conditioners. You shouldn't need anything to disinfect your face with! In the morning, when I want to smell nice I spray a little EdT on my neck area.

Spyder likes this.
  6. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

No wonder that I couldn't find any aftershave at my local supermarket. They only shelf colognes.
    And they are cheaper than an aftershave that I bought!

Spyder likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hmmmmm, I wouldn't because it would really sting and burn.

Demidog likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Just don't be "That Guy":

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ninjack, PLANofMAN, Demidog and 2 others like this.
  10. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I use aftershaves to treat the cuts and irritation that I get after shaving, and I use colognes strictly for the fragrance. I don't think colognes are marketed for their skin treatment properties, assuming they have any at all. I always use an aftershave and I follow up with a cologne on special occasions, but I would never use a cologne in place of an aftershave.

Spyder and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

a little too much emotion from that singer.

12. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I use aftershave because I use a ton. I like to make sure that there's enough to completely cover my shaved face with plenty of alcohol. If I did the same with EdT, I wouldn't be able to leave the house. Due to the stench.

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    If it's a scent that appeals to me, I use it.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  14. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Aftershaves contain the least amount of fragrance oils and usually have some skin conditioners in them. EDT and colognes should be used on pulse points as they contain higher amounts of fragrance oils and are for strictly smelling good. Applying an EDT or cologne on freshly shaved skin may cause a reaction plus the amount needed to cover as an aftershave would be too much fragrance.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Demidog likes this.
  15. David W650

David W650 Active Member

1. Not a good idea. The scent would be overpowering.
    2. As some suggested witch hazel may be a good alternative.
    3. As answered, yes.

I've been getting away for the most part from aftershaves and going towards lightly or unscented shave balms.
    Then using a cologne.

Taipan likes this.
  16. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

if i use a splash cologne ore edt after shaving i mix it with a scentless aftershave balm.put the amount of balm i use in my palm and then som drops of cologne/edt and mix before applying.