What would you pay?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Single Wedge, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

This is a Fredrick Fenny from Shefffield. They are asking $50.

fenny.jpg

2. -PO-

-PO- New Member

I don't know what the value is on something like this but $5 is the most I'd pay. Looks like you would have to put on new scales unless you are getting this for display only

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'd pay 10$ max. The hone wear on the tip is significant while on the toe it is lighter so the razor is smaller towards the tip. The scales will most likely have to be repaced and then there's some rust too...

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Thanks.

I figured it was over priced but needed to ask.

What am I looking for in a good str8? Heavy is really a necessity.

5. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

If you're looking for examples of great straights look at the various threads in the str8 forum here. If you're looking to buy one, place a request in the classifieds section. That way you can be sure to end up with a great, shave-ready razor.

6. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Obviously you want a razor without chips or cracks in the blade. The hone wear you see on the razor - misshapen blade and extensive/uneven flattening on the edge of the spine where it contacts the hone is another thing to look for. If you can handle the blade, lay it on a flat surface to see if there is any major warpage.

Bill Ellis did a very usefull "how to buy" razors guide on ebay. I think his name there is urleebird (I think). Check it out.

Jordan

7. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

I wouldn't buy that razor, but I'd still take it for free or consider trading some other piece of junk I had for it. I wouldn't refuse it, it isn't that bad

8. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I agree with the above, I'd pass on that one all together. You could shine it up but that hone wear is pretty nasty.

9. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

+1

10. Utopian

Utopian New Member

If you are at a point where you are asking what to look for in a straight, then definitely pass on this one unless you can get it for a $5 practice razor.

11. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

If your looking for a str8 I would suggest talking with some people here in the str8 section or over on SRP. You could put up a WTB thread. I'm sure you could find something with minimal hone wear and usable scales for 50$

12. bg42

bg42 New Member

Nothing ,there are too many issues with the razor ,for me anyway
    kind regards Peter