Home remedies you swear by

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Otto

Otto Member

Maybe not literally a home remedy, but zinc citrate flavored lozenges are outstanding for colds. Suck on 3-4 daily at the very onset of a cold and and continue for 3-4 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kizurra, Demidog and gorgo2 like this.
  2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Turmeric can be a great anti-inflammatory (again, as good as some prescriptions), but it doesn't absorb well on its own. Take with black pepper or something spicy for better absorption.*

*Sorry, I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on TV. And I once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. ;)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Kizurra and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

My wife used to swear by Zicam but then something happened with them. No idea what.

Kizurra likes this.
  4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

+1 to the pepper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kizurra likes this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

How do you take turmeric with black pepper? Made into a tea?

Kizurra likes this.
  6. PickledNorthern

We make tea. A good tonic is is tea steeped with turmeric root powder, ginger, celery seed, a little cayenne to help absorption, with honey and lemon to taste.

If you google "turmeric teas", there are a lot of different recipes to be found.

Kizurra likes this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

A good curry also works (turmeric is the main spice in yellow curry).

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I occasionally wake up with terrible heartburn, with the bile coming up into my throat. To ease the burn, I have tried drinking a lot of water, thinking it would wash everything down; I've also tried various antacids, but none of that worked. One night I remembered an old remedy for heartburn/acid reflux, adding 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda to about 6 oz or so of water, stirring it well to ensure it is dissolved, and sipped it somewhat slowly so as to coat my throat. That worked like a charm! Completely cured the burn. About 5 or 10 minutes later, you will have one of the largest belches ever getting gas off your stomach and alleviating a bloated feeling. This used to be printed on the baking soda boxes, but I haven't seen it recently. This may not be a good idea for someone on a low sodium diet, but works wonders for occasional heartburn/acid reflux. For chronic conditions, prescription meds may be better, but 1/2 tea spoon baking soda dissolved well in 6 oz of water beats the pants off of Roland's or Tums.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    gorgo2 and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm going to give this a try. I have a lot of chronic pain from an auto accident in 1999, and have a hard time getting comfortable at night where I can sleep. I'm on a regular regimen of NSAIDs, and occasional prescription pain relievers.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    gorgo2 likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I make a home-made version of Vicks Vapo-rub that works nicely as a decongestant.

gorgo2 likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

I hope it helps.

It has really worked for me. I had a reaction to a med which caused some partial kidney damage and pretty much has ruled out my using NSAIDS any more.

It doesn't work like a prescription sized dose of Ibuprofen or anything, but it for sure works, and has a soothing effect.

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I think I've built up a tolerance to some of the NSAID pain relievers such as ibuprofen or prescription meloxicam, and even trammadol, a non-narcotic prescription pain reliever. Maybe trying something different will work.

13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I buy hiccoughs. This is from my personal blog.

Buying a Hiccup

[​IMG]
    I was in the Wal-Mart the other day looking for some cough medicine. A man and his wife were blocking my way because they were looking at every package comparing the ingredients. They were getting on each others nerves a bit, too, because the man had a severe case of the hiccups, and they were keeping him from completing his sentences. They were the kind of hiccups that were uncontrollable, and they shook him with each, "Hic!" I was being prevented from getting my cough medicine by this predicament. I decided to draw on my experience as a middle school teacher. The following is a true account of what happened. I bought his hiccups.

I walked up to the man and told him the following: "I see you have a good case of the hiccups, and I would like to buy them off of you."

[​IMG]
    I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my wallet. "I've got ten dollars here, and I am willing to give it to you if you will just hiccup for me one more time." While I said that sentence, I opened my wallet and pulled out a ten dollar bill and held it out to him. As I finished the sentence, his eyes grew large as he looked at the saw buck and then looked up at me. I said, "Now, it has to be a real hiccup, not a fake one. Just hiccup for me one more time, and this can be yours." Silence reigned while the cycle of hiccups was interrupted. He said, "They are gone. I've been hiccuping all over this store. I was hiccuping back in the garden section, and now they are gone."

I have performed this buying of the hiccup for over twenty years and have not lost a dime. After I first heard about the trick, I began offering a quarter. That worked, so then I started offering fifty cents. Finally, I would offer a dollar. On this particular day, I didn't know it, but all I had in my wallet was a ten dollar bill, so I offered that. It was the most expensive hiccup I ever bought. And, it didn't cost me a thing.

How does it work? Hiccups are an involuntary response. A person has no control over them. You can fake hiccups, but you cannot purposefully hiccup for real. When I offer to buy a hiccup and the offer is real, it flips a switch in the person's brain. Now, they are focusing on trying to hiccup, and since you cannot will a genuine hiccup, time passes, and the hiccups are gone.

The man and his wife were amazed, and I put the ten bucks back in my wallet, picked out my cough medicine, and headed for the check-out.

14. PickledNorthern

That is awesome!

Jayaruh likes this.
  15. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Raising the head of the bed up a few inches has helped me. The only downside is having to slide the mattress back up every couple of days.

BamaT likes this.
  16. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

Gargle saltwater to help a soar throat, the salt will break the bacterial wall and kill it.

BamaT likes this.
  17. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Apple cider vinegar for heart burn. Two teaspoons will do you.

Greg W.