How long have you been wet shaving? And what got you interested?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Matt0210, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Shaved with carts 1986-2006. Had irritation and bumps so bad I quit shaving and wore a full beard 2006-2014. Then...

One month before trying Harry's:

[​IMG]

Decided to try Harry's carts in spring 2014, they were so bad, caused all the same problems. I starting researching. Bought a cheap razor and some blades, and in July 2014 I switched to DE. These days I use a shavette mostly, though this month is Fatip Grande.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Exactly 2 years ago today I started DE shaving.

Electrics and carts weren't doing it for me.

3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

About nine years ago for me. I tried using Kiss My Face cream on a recommendation from a Whole Foods clerk. The KMF gave me greatly improved shaves, and showed what a difference top quality creams and soaps could make. Art of Shaving had some totally cool looking Fusion razors, but one look at the cartridge prices made me decide to try a safety razor. Safety razors were just as cool looking as the AoS Fusion models, and the blades cost a fraction of the cartridge prices. I put the safety razors and top quality creams and soaps together and, voila, traditional wetshaving. The end result was great, affordable shaves.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

March of 2010, I was using a Mach 3 and the handle broke. I was given a fusion with 1 blade and when I saw the prices, I jumped ship. Ordered 100 Shark SC, a Merkur 34c, and an omega boar brush from Amazon. I had a puck of Williams in a coffee mug and off I went. Shredded my face for a couple of weeks until I settled into a routine. I spent a lot for a while during the exploration phase, but haven't spent much of anything for the last few years.

5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

15 minutes?? Damn ... my shave usually goes for 30-45 mins... I must be doing something wrong

Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I started wet shaving a little more than a year ago. I wasn't really into shaving at all. I would grow my beard and shave it off... then grow it out and then shave it off.. I ended up getting a new job which would have me meeting owners of companies or their management. i wanted to represent my company well and needed to get my wife off my back about my beard ( she hates facial hair and thinks it's basically facial pubic hair ...:sick007:). I remember seeing the infomercials for the micro touch and decided to look into it. After reading forums and reviews I found that it was a weishi rebranded and a Gillette clone. One day after taking the wifey out to dinner, we went to the mall and I saw the art of shaving store. I told my wife I want to look around and ask questions. After speaking to the woman for awhile I walked out of there with a trial size kit of sandlwood ( my favorite scent of all soaps I've tried). That night I ordered a black chrome weishi from Amazon for super cheap. The next weekend was my first shave with it.. I was hooked since. First was the curiosity factor, then it was the determination to get the great shaves I've read about. Since then, I've acquired more razors than I need, watched 100s of YouTube videos, read 1000s of posts and met some fine folks. People think it's weird that shaving is my hobby... to some I've said it's no weirder than watching men in tights grope each other on a mat ( aka wrestling) :signs002::happy102:;)

Glad you found us here. It's a great place to chat, research, laugh.

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I started 4 years ago. I 'upgraded' to the new Gillette Fusion and was frustrated that my shaves got even worse. After some contemplation I realised that as they added blades to the cart my shaves got worse. I thought it was because I was getting older or just loosing my mind. Several times I tried electric razors but they just pulled out the stubble hair by hair. Carts gave me allot of irritation and ingrown hairs, I just accepted it and did not there was another way.

So after looking at the results and the price of the carts I finally said 'screw it', time to try shaving with a straight razor. It looks cool and could not be any worse. So I started Googling away and found out you have to hone and strop a straight razor and I am not a 'handy' person so I opted for the DE solution. I took to it like a duck to water, one month to learn how to use it and the soap properly and then within the second month no more ingrown hairs. Over time the irritation was gone too. My skin looked better, much better. Of course along the way I go hooked on razors, software and bushes in pursuit of the ultimate shave.

Finally I overcame the fear of stropping and honing and started with straights about 15 months ago. It was inspired by the fear that my best razor, a 2011 Mühle R41 would some day fail because it is made of zamac. The learning curve for straights is longer and steeper but there is a sense of accomplishment in mastering straight shaving. Now I can get a great shave with a DE or SR but enjoy using the SR more.

8. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Or right.

9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yes. Whatever works :)

Shower included I'm at 20 minutes. But seldom more. I don't think you're doing something wrong at all! Whatever works for each person, right? :)

Matt0210, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  10. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I started shaving in 1965, when the hair on my face first got heavy enough to shave.

Greg W.

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I started about two years ago. I had been using one of the subscription blade services shaving every other day due to the irritation I would get. After a few comments from my boss about people working for me not shaving every day, I got the hint I needed to shave every day. At the same time, my wife was on my about getting our credit card off the subscription list.

So I did some research and found out about DE razors along with brushes and soaps. I convinced my wife that not only could I cancel that subscription, but I could also use products that were healthier for my skin. And, I would be saving money while doing it! Well, two of three ain't too bad (I am a former ball player and would jump for joy going two for thee after all).

12. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

I've been wet shaving for a little over 6 months and it was this place that got me interested and I learned a lot from everyone here :bounce017:

13. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Been wet shaving for nearly 2 years now because I need a new hobby and change my shaving habit, so wet shaving has change my life far better than all the bullsh#t cartridge razors and foam cream crap for nearly 27 years has cost me a sh#t load of money.

So that why I've change because my grandfather never told me this after he pass when I was 15, because he never taught my father into wet shaving since he was using all the bullsh#t cartridge razors and foam cream crap too.
    And it took me while to learn something new that can save me a sh#t load of money and thank bloody goodness after google search, and I never thought of wet shaving was a hobby and every wet shaving forum site I go to has change my shaving habit because all I can say is one special magic word and that is?

Thank you ;)

14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

4 years ago, and for some funny reason I thought I'd save money.

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

That's funny. I thought the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

When I look at what I'm spending in any given month I could buy a years supply of shaving junk. i.e. Multiple-blade cartridges and canned goo goo.

Matt0210, Carbide Mike and Drygulch like this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

35 years and counting. However, I've been on online shaving forums for about two years now.

Carbide Mike, Matt0210 and Drygulch like this.
  18. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive been wet shaving for almost a year. What got me into it was the fact that I love it when my barber straight razors the back of my kneck and the fact that its much cheaper than using cartidges or clippers.

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'm 62 years old and I've been wetshaving since I turned 14. Except for 2 or 3 times with canned garbage I've been doing it the traditional way.

20. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Started in 1968 while in college - still have my original brush. Tried electric razors which were a total failure. Picked up a basic Old Spice set up and started wet DE shaving. My father taught me how. I stayed with it for a number of years until I was drafted into the Army - transitioned to cartridges for the ease of it. I was deployed for so long in places where DE shaving was just too hard. Went back to DE shaving a couple times over the years. Finally about 4 months ago after I retired (for the second time) I went back to DE shaving with the intent to do it right. Best move I've made in a long time.