Tried Vilobra Shaving Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by chrisf8657, Nov 4, 2016.

1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

I got myself a chunk of Vilobra soft shaving soap (think Cella-like) and was interested in trying it out.

It gives alot of later with very little workup, but the lather to me isn't very slick or protective. I also found I was not getting as close of a shave as I did with other soaps such as GFT, Mike's Natural, etc.

I also found it has very little scent to it, and smells more like a general soap.

Anyways, a mini review of my thoughts.
    If anyone wants the remainder of the small brick, let me know and I'll give it to you, because I don't like it.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I'll try it out.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

If you've never tried a croap before, I'd recommend to give it another chance using a different approach: a lot less water.
    If you decide its definitely not for you, I would like to try it as am enjoying their hard puck quite a bit.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

I'll be happy to split it between you and Jorvaljr. PM me your address and i'll send it out.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup . Life's too short to futz around with a soap you're not crazy about, especially with so many great soaps out there.

6. lloydrm

I did not notice Jorvaljr's post while I was writing. Sorry about that.
    Thanks for your generosity.
    PM coming.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Seems like the Valobra that I tried is one that isn't easily available in the US. All that I see the is easily available for me, other than the herbal scents, is Almond. But, a friend gave me a sample that, I think, he got from Connaught that isn't almond. At least, not to me. From your description it sounds the same. Great lather; very little, if any, scent; but I thought that it was reasonably slick. Though, it is a lot like other traditional soaps to me. Most of them aren't as slick as modern ones; the cap my DEs stick sometimes. I notice this with Tabac and Cella and others that are similar. But, I still like using them. I know we are discussing shave soap, but I really like Valobra bath soaps.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  8. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

The difference between Cella and this Valobra is that Cella is a tallow base, this is some kind of Veggie base.
    Could explain the difference?

Terry Williams likes this.
  9. lloydrm

If appearance means anything ....

1.jpg

This is the lather I got from the soap that was left on its wrapping film.
    No shave yet. All I can say is it has a real almond oil scent that turns into an almost unscented soap when lathered.
    Thank you very much Chris. I appreciate your generosity.

10. Jorvaljr

I got the same lather. It's a great soap. The scent is something to get use t

lloydrm likes this.
  11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I really like the old AOS Sandalwood Valobra used to make, more of a hard puck than the Valobra croap brick. Very generous of you to share a soap you don't care for. (I'm also not a fan of almond scents, so I hear ya)

lloydrm likes this.
  12. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@lloydrm that looks like a bloody Pavlova on a shaving stick waiting to get eaten :p or a vanilla cream waiting to get licked very badly like a hungry puppy dog :p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    lloydrm likes this.
  13. lloydrm

Thanks gents.
    I too enjoy Valobra's hard puck quite a bit. I mostly use unscented soaps and Valobra is definitely on the top list.
    All the power comes from Chris. Very generous of him to share with us.

14. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I have just seen this thread. It must be a different soap to the Valobra shaving soap that comes in a tub. I'm using the Fougere and I think it is fabulous soap: great smell; good slickness. Very enjoyable.

15. Jorvaljr

I'm really diggin the performance. Still trying to get use to the almond scent though.. lol it's not bad but at least for me I put it below arko.

dangermouse likes this.
  16. lloydrm

It is different. I like the tub better. I like triple milled tallow :).

dangermouse likes this.