Different Versions of Pal Adjustable?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by zec668, Nov 23, 2015.

1. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Hello Gents,

I went ahead and moved the discussion of the Pal Adjustable out of the SE Party thread so that we could continue our discussion and allow the celebration to continue. It seems that ASR redesigned/refined the design of their original Pal Adjustable along the way. There could be multiple versions out there that I am unaware of, but in my possession are two Pal Adjustables that have some notable differences.

In particular, I noticed a difference in the head of the two razors. The newer version has a shorter bevel to the blade as well as being machined further up giving the edge that meets the blade a thicker appearance. It seems there blade stops are much taller in the older version. The newer version may also have a slightly different angled head as well. IMGP0487.JPG IMGP0488.JPG Here are some pics with the newer model on the left.

gorgo2, AGHisBBS and Darkbulb like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Never noticed that before, good eye. The only thing I think we (way back) once discussed was really poor QC on some of these beauties that would lead to a bloody shave. And I have the one on the right, too. Was just scanning threads here for the first time in a few weeks and was trying to decide what razor to use tonight on two days worth of beard. You've convinced me.

zec668 likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The one I have is like the one on the right. I only have one, and I have not used it yet. I got it in a trade during NoVember. Will have to wait until December to try it out.

Carbide Mike and zec668 like this.
  4. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

I hope you have an enjoyable shave Gorgo! If it works for you that's all that matters. For me the shave from the Pal on the left is a much easier and more smooth than the one on the right. Either way, gotta love the Pal Adjustable;)

Carbide Mike and gorgo2 like this.
  5. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Very cool! I hope you enjoy it because it is a ver unique razor. I think the Chick blades make that version of the Pal MUCH better than the Personna Mini Hair Shapers do. Hope to hear about your shave with this beautiful razor!

Carbide Mike and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I will definitely be writing about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Carbide Mike and zec668 like this.
  7. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

I have the older version on the right, it can be a bloody thing to use if you have the wrong angle. However I notice that for some reason the chick blades jam slightly during the install. and sometimes the old ones I pop out can have some blade edge damage.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I find that having mine set on the high level allows for easier loading of the blade.

Karl G likes this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I have the older version. I always use it on the high setting with no trouble and it loads easily. The razor has never felt all that aggressive.

Karl G, zec668 and Carbide Mike like this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have the older version as well, and it's set on high. It's an excellent shaver.

zec668 and Redfisher like this.
  11. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

As much as I love this razor I have discovered something that potential buyers may want to watch out for. I recently purchased my fourth Pal Adjustable (an older version) in nearly mint condition. I noticed that there was a slight rattle inside the razor, but didn't think much of it. While shaving with it one day, a small metal piece fell out of the razor head. It was half of the tensioner that puts pressure on the back of the blade to keep the blade pressed against the blade stops. Since this, the blade has begun to move away from the stops when I adjust the razor. I am plan to try to make my own tensioner to see if it can be replaced, but it is a bit of a bummer.

RaZorBurn123 and Karl G like this.
  12. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

It's a risk we take when we buy anything old. Buying a 50 year old razor, like buying a 50 year old vacuum cleaner, can be an act of faith. But risks sometimes pay off big time!

We can't win 'em all, nor should we. But a win can be sweet.

zec668 likes this.