Can you change the direction of your hair growth by shaving against the grain?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by 7055, Aug 2, 2014.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I had to really restrain myself from telling her off. If my wife would have been there that salesgirl would have gotten an earful from her!

RyX likes this.
  2. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

This is the appropriate response.....
    [​IMG]

Matt0210 and RyX like this.
  3. 7055

7055 Active Member

In their defense though they're selling quality products and you can't expect them to have much knowledge of shaving at their income level.

I have talked to one AOS employee who actually shaved with a straight, or at least claimed to

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    crackstar and Matt0210 like this.
  4. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

IMG_0798.JPG

I like to go in there and look. I always get a kick out of how they think I'm just an average joe know nothing. I don't even correct them or anything if they say something crazy. I just laugh about it later. But I don't expect them to really know anything but every now and then they have someone working there that surprises me.

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, then baffle 'em with bs.

6. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I would never take shaving advice from someone in the business of selling over-priced stuff, much less a woman (unless she's the circus Bearded Woman).

crackstar likes this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Some of the Art of Shaving sales people are dyed in the wool wetshavers just like us. Others not so much. Women shave too, and in some places a lot more sensitive than a guy's face.

mikewood, crackstar and Matt0210 like this.
  8. crackstar

My sister-in-law says she knows the family of the founder of the AoS company.

9. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Art of Shaving is high end Proctor & Gamble, which owns…you guessed it, Gillette.
    http://www.pg.com/en_US/brands/global_health_grooming/gillette.shtml

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

In a word, no...

11. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I shall have to comment elsewhere.

13. crackstar

I find this so funny!

14. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  15. mmaggi

mmaggi New Member

When I was a teenager and first started shaving, I was told NOT to shave against the grain because this would cause whiskers to grow in that direction and would cause ingrown hairs. Well... I never listened to that advice and I'm happy to say that 35+ years later my beard growth never changed AND I had maybe 2 ingrown hairs my entire life.

These are what I like to call barbershop tales. ;)

Sara-s likes this.
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I visited their shop in downtown Seattle. The gentleman there was very knowledgeable. I told him how I just got back into DE wet shaving. He asked if I was trying different blades, asked about the razor being used, et cetera. Very encouraging and not pushy towards selling me anything.