Fixing a Leak in the Shave Den turned out a Disaster

Discussion in 'Special Projects' started by SSLSTudio..., Aug 25, 2008.

1. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Awesome, I am glad insurance is going to help out, and I am very excited to see the process and finished project!

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome "back"!

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Sounds awesome, Rene! Looking forward to seing pics of the finished project :)

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Boubi, that would sure be nice, as well as a big help to you if the insurance company pays a part of the costs. I have a walk in shower in my bathroom, which is perfect for me. Corinne prefers to take a bath, so her bathroom is perfect for her. You're ahead of me with Sweden, because I was only in Stockholm and Goteborg on business, I really didn't get a chance to see too much else of the country, and I was only there for a week. :(

5. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Congrats Rene, hope it all works out. Glad you are back safe and sound!

6. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Sounds awesome!
    I hope the black stones won't be too hard to keep clean with water stains and all.

7. Stuggi

Stuggi Member

Nice everything turned out good for you! Water leaks are dreadful, that's why my dad and I installed the new plastic double-pipes that are standard for all built in pipes in Finland nowadays. Basically it's a thick (2 mm or more) walled plastic pipe inside another plastic pipe which runs to a big fitting with a threaded brass insert that you screw on the wall at both ends. If the inner pipe starts to leak, the water exists through the fitting at the wall ends, so you can see the inner pipe is leaking and fix it. If I remember correctly you could also remove the inner pipe without tearing down the wall, since it runs inside that outer pipe. And if you have to tear down the wall, all you have to do it replace the pipe, no years-worth of water damage to fix! :D

8. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Picking this Project up. Today I came back from a special store . they adviced against using Nature stones in the bathroom but adviced to go for luxury Tiles instead. I found a very nice design which is very relaxing on the eyes and gives off a great Vibe. its a Greek design.

The floor tiles will look like its woodish darkish brown the walls Champagne color. I asked for a Japanese theme but they said its VERY expensive nor did they have it.

sofar this comes down to if we are going to use these tiles to 35€ per m2 .

This was the hardest decision now that this is done I can move to the Shower,Shink,Toilet systems it will go fast from here on. so

Sofar Measurements will be..

Floor 8 m2
    Walls 28m2
    Bath tub size max - 210cm * 80 cm
    Sink 50* 120cm

I need to talk to the construction Boss one more time then we are good to go.

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

We need to see some pics of those tiles when they arrive :D

Nice to hear your project is making progress!

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

+1 Sounds great!

11. crackstar

Gott in Himmel--zu viel Arbeit zu tun, richtig, mein Kleiner?

12. SSLSTudio...

Oh Yes Jeff its insane. Today I talked and measured for intotal of 2 hours with the constructor ! 2 hours !

We ended up the design cant fit the current space even though we are relocating the toilet. it will be too narrow with a dual sink system.

Solution. Break out the wall of the bathroom, make the bedroom 75cm smaller.
    This meant everything has to be changed ! the whole calculations of Tiles, length of jacuzzi everything has to be redone.

The roof also has to be redone everything is now bigger the bathroom with the new design is 75cm longer over a 2,23cm wide.
    Roof chapel has to be bigger now aswell. its back to the drawing board again. we will need more tiles.

For music im thinking of 2 ceiling speakers waterproof made for bathrooms with a buildin receiver and then connect the iLink transmitter to my AV home cinema system. this would mean I can listen to the CD ,Mp3 from the AV in the bathroom. since the AV does internet radio that means I have it all in the bathroom. I decided no TV that would over do it..I dont think TV is a place in the bathroom...

Jeff count on this I can not take a shower for 3 weeks that much work to do.

13. SSLSTudio...

We are well underway with the renovations of the bathroom.

1.5 day of no work could be done this week due to a weather Alarm and the next day some roadworkers hitting the electricity pipe causing a 3 hour power outage. we packed up and stopped work nothing could be done anymore we needed the circle Saw.

even though we are already working I am still comming up with new ideas and buying stuff improvising along the work.

Attached Files:

14. crackstar

Oyyyyyyyyyyy, so much work.....

15. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    It's getting there man!

16. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I just saw the Hometime TV show today and they installed a TV behind the mirror (2-way) in the bathroom. Turned in on with the remote and the sound came through the speakers in the ceiling.HERE

17. SSLSTudio...

thats awesome ! dont think my builders gonna be happy with that.
    the mirror is going to be 2,20m wide or so. asking them to install TV is going to be putting them in hospital for stress.

18. SSLSTudio...

yeah its a start Bobby thats all its going to be atleast 4 more weeks I hope less if nothing comes up inbetween the work but since its 2 parties that need to listen to my wishes it carefull planning who does what on time .

but atleast the guys for the roof expansion are hardworking and have good fun in working on the bathroom.

19. SSLSTudio...

9 days building on the way

All new walls have been build.
    Toilet inwall system installed.

waiting for Roof Cedar wood for the sides and the zero maintenance window holder for the chapell. estimate wednesday its ready. right now its almost October weather here and im glad we didnt start this project in September .

next week the whole floor goes out and will be re-done all pipes redone.
    I didnt choose for Magnum floor heating figuring I didnt need it the last 20y
    why start using now unless we have members here who swear by it ?

Attached Files:

20. kjparker

kjparker Member

I feel your pain.

We had a water leak in our bathroom, (rental property) and it took months for them to properly fix the leak!

Look at the bright side though, you get your shiny new shave den sooner!