A question for the scuttle users

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Linuxguile, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I squeeze a 1-1/2 inch long plug from the Proraso tube into the bottom of the scuttle. That's the volume I use for a single three-pass shave in the morning.

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Ah! I wasn't thinking about the cream. Thanks!

Demidog likes this.
  3. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I had my first proper shave with a scuttle today. I did many test lathers over the past few days, both with very hot water and without any water in a room temperature scuttle, but I didn't notice any major changes in the quality of the lather. No matter what I do, the lather seems to end up a bit more watery and airy than when I face lather. However the lather provided more than enough protection and I still had a great shave.

I have a theory that accounts for the differences but temperature didn't seem to be a major factor. It might just be that I was using a thicker scuttle that doesn't allow the lather to go too hot, but I did notice that the lather was starting to get more bubbly the longer that it sat in the scuttle and got warmer during my first pass. In spite of these differences, I have to say that I really enjoyed the warmer lather. My area finally got hit with some lower temperatures today and the warm lather felt great, plus I enjoy lathering in a bowl instead of scrubbing my face raw with face lathering.

4. poikkeus

poikkeus Member

Try this:
    If it's a hard soap, put about 1/4 cup of water onto the soap overnight.
    Heat 8oz of room temperature water in a scuttle for one minute; most scuttles are microwave-friendly.
    Immerse a badger brush, and squeeze out the water with your hand.
    Describe circles with your brush on the soap surface for around half a minute.

5. Linuxguile

I have been following @Keithmax suggestion. And although the lather seems runny in the scuttle it does indeed thicken up and become creamy when it is applied. The past 3 shaves I have successfully built warm thick lather out of La Toja, IB Amici, and Dr Jons Hydra. Fluffing it up right before applying it seems to help too.

Keithmax, RyX and Boojum1 like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Glad to see you have found the secret to hot lather. A true luxury in the winter.

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Here is an additional tip, use more soap than you normally use.

Since it has been cold and I have been testing different soaps I have to say that if you load more it seems most soaps work under high heat. except for the ones listed above. I have found both tallow and veggie formulas that have worked in high heat.

Linuxguile, RyX and Demidog like this.
  8. Marc D

Marc D Well-Known Member

LOL i have the Opposite problem, when i use my scuttle. The Hot water from the Tap in the scuttle, seems to only warm my lather up to room temperature.

Better the cold lather, I guess

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. Linuxguile

try filling it with hot water to bring the temp of the scuttle up. then after a few minutes drain it and refill it with hot water. or you could just do what Keith does and use a tea kettle to get the water really hot.

Marc D likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That's usually what I do.

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

This is what I do as well. I fill the scuttle and the bowl with the hottest tap water (which is pretty hot) and hit the shower. When I get out, I do it again with fresh hot water while I put on Noxzema pre-shave and soak the brush. Then I empty the bowl, wipe it out, add the Proraso cream and start creating the lather. The later never feels warmer than body temperature. I like the quality of the lather however, and it's better than cold lather, but it's definitely not materially warmer than body temp.

The idea of a tea kettle is good, but too much of a PITA.

Demidog and Linuxguile like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Don't feel bad, I didnt get it either.

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

Daily scuttle user here. All I can say is my scuttle is warm not necessarily piping hot. I second the advice above.

14. DChalfy

DChalfy Member

I use the same method as you and have been very happy with the quality of later from my soaps and creams. I have a Crown King Scuttle and use boar brushes for my soaps and Silvertip badger for creams.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  15. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Actually, I did start to notice a warmth of the lather. It's really nice. On the days when I switch to a lather bowl during travel, I really notice and miss the warm lather.

16. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

What do you travel with? I just finished three weeks in a hotel, and I actually had some nice warm lather, something I wasn't used to at home. I soaked my badger brush in one of those Styrofoam cups while showering, and got out and went to work. It was nice and warm for two or so passes. When I got home and used my synthetic, it was cold and I was sad.

17. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I travel with a Captain's Choice bowl, my JR #117 brush with synthetic bristles, and a tube of Proraso. The bowl is smaller to carry around than the Crown King scuttle, and the JR 117 fits into an old prescription bottle so it's protected. My normal shave cream is a rotation from "the big three", but I find the Proraso tube is easier to travel with.

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey likes this.
  18. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Well if you decide to switch to a badger (the Simpson Case is excellent), face lathering with it after it has been soaking will give you that nice warm feeling.

19. Graybeard

Graybeard New Member

I also have a Crown King scuttle. I don`t have any trouble making a rich lather with it, unless i get to much water for my soap. I usually work my lather for at least 30 seconds. I have several different brushes which I have restored with different kinds of knots and have found that the different type knots have different water requirements. So I really don`t think that it`s the hot water causing the problem.

I also love the nice hot lather on my face and also if I want to relather some spots it is still hot.

Douglas Carey likes this.