Cleaning badger hair brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by shadowfeind, Dec 16, 2016.

1. shadowfeind

shadowfeind Active Member

How do I clean my badger hair brush? I have been using 3 different kinds of soaps over a matter of 5 months and I feel like I should clean the brush. Also do you think that by not cleaning the brush you are more prone to acne breakouts?
    Thank you in advance experienced shavers out there. Enjoy the decadent December shave guys.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  2. Irishjeff

Irishjeff New Member

I believe there is something under the tutorial heading

Mike Powell likes this.
  3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Active Member

Yea, I think so too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Excellent tutorials but I will be the Devil's advocate. Many people complain about the 'funk' of animal hair and seek relief with new brushes. I worked with horses and have no such issues. I think we again overdue it with maintenance. Yes, a brush will benefit from an annual cleaning. But what are we cleaning off just to expose the brush to within a few days after drying?

SOAP

Primotenore likes this.
  7. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Start off with Dawn dish soap and finish it off with a mild shampoo to restore the moisture to it, something like a baby shampoo.

8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

True but over time the brush will accumulate dried soap, bits of hair and dead skin cells.

Primotenore and DaltonGang like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I clean my brushes when I notice they don't absorb water as readily as they should. I just grab my wife's shampoo, work it in , let it sit for a minute, then rinse and shake dry. Sometimes I'll treat them with a conditioner.

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Ya gotta get the gunk off and start over. I never really believed in this too much, until a Semogue 830 that I have had for a couple of years, simply stopped loading soap. Gave it a shampoo and then a vinegar bath, and it is a new animal again.

Primotenore likes this.
  11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I was really impressed with how much a soak in Oxyclean took out of my new badger brush. It was a little funky but the oxy boiled out a lot of gunk and the water in the glass turned a dark brown and reeked. The second treatment was lighter and the 3rd was much improved. The brush doesn't smell anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

Works great. Don't forget about it and leave it to soak for too long, it can bleach the hair. Ask me how I know.

americanshamrock likes this.
  13. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Did you make a bleach blonde badger?

emkeane and PickledNorthern like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

Thankfully it was just a not very expensive brown horse.

It does work great for defunking a brush, but after that screw up I have shied away from it with any badgers.

americanshamrock likes this.
  15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

OxyClean...luv it!

As to a regular cleaning? Take it into the shower with you and shampoo it.

Done

Drop the mic

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  16. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@Omaney remember never scrub you're hairy backside with you're shaving brush no matter how hard you've try to keep it CLEAN & SHINNY!!!
    [​IMG]

PickledNorthern likes this.
  17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Let's remember that it's not just the "soap" that leaves residue, but rather the "oils", tallow, coconut and palm oil, etc. These fats attract and hold onto skin, dirt, etc. and should be occasionally cleaned out.

SpeedyPC and PickledNorthern like this.
  19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Regular shampoo and conditioner and a few good rinses should do the trick.

20. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

O.K. I just cleaned my brushes. Hazmat just left after the manhole in the street blew 30 feet into the sky the leaving a scent of pre de provence, sandalwood, rose and spruce. I found my missing cufflink and .17 change

CarlfromMO and PickledNorthern like this.